Forums

Help › Forums

What I've learned in the last 10+ years here

Sun, May 19 2019 8:30 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • godelescher
    636 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 10:57 AM

Disclaimer: I'm sure there will be a number of replies from well-meaning people who want to inform me, in varying degrees of politeness, what's wrong with me, my equipment, my game play, my clothes, my grammar, etc.  Generally speaking, I don't care.

1. "WGT Beta" is permanent and a lie. WGT is a business and this is its final form. Calling it "Beta" absolves WGT of financial responsibility to players who lose money (credits) due to programming errors. The testing ended a long time ago.

2. Your equipment is temporary. My clubs (Burner 2.0 irons) were once upon a time, the best irons available. Now they're not even offered anymore. Neither is my putter, driver, or wedges. All of my outdated equipment has lost accuracy, distance control, forgiveness, and spin once they were discontinued. A shot that used to fall withing a 10 yard radius if struck perfectly, now falls within a 20 yard radius. If you currently have clubs you like, don't expect them to play the same way in the future. They won't.

I'm not being paranoid, it's just business. There is only a finite amount of improvement possible with new equipment, but there is infinite room at the other end of the spectrum. As new and better equipment becomes available, older equipment (the stuff in your bag right now) becomes less precise and harder to hit. It's the only way WGT can keep offering upgrades without sending scoring into a tailspin.

So that imaginary putter or driver you just spent 40 real dollars on has a shelf life. You should know that before buying.

3. Shot Shaping is never going to happen. Ever. For 10 years people have been asking WGT to allow for shot shaping and for 10 years WGT has ignored it. Instead, you can get back spin with your driver LOL,

WGT isn't interested in providing you with a difficult golf game that is just as frustrating as the real thing. WGT is only about equipment, not golf. Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made... all pay WGT to promote their latest equipment and balls, in turn, you pay for the privilege of being marketed to. The equipment manufacturers make money because you go out and buy the same equipment you see here. WGT makes money because everyone is paying them, and you get to pretend you're good. Adding another level of complexity to the game flies in the face of WGT's business model. You will never see anything that makes this game harder that can't be solved by a new equipment purchase.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 11:28 AM

godelescher:

As new and better equipment becomes available, older equipment (the stuff in your bag right now) becomes less precise and harder to hit. It's the only way WGT can keep offering upgrades without sending scoring into a tailspin.

So that imaginary putter or driver you just spent 40 real dollars on has a shelf life. You should know that before buying.

OK. So what is the shelf life? At what point does equipment begin to degrade? Is it 1 year after new equipment has been introduced replacing old equipment? 3 years? 5 years? 

And by the way, if you have to tell people you're not being paranoid, well.... ;-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 11:41 AM

Having just reached the 10 year mark this month myself, I took a minute to reflect what 10 years here's been for me. The VUSO at BPB made it easy to do because I remember it like it was yesterday, it was my christening in this game.

I don't factor in anything the OP takes issues with when I play. The game is as intriguing and addicting today as it was when I first discovered it. I'm fascinated by how well WGT tries to replicate the real thing and have always approached this game like I would if I played a RL round. In short, it has captivated me from day one. 

This is not to diminish the OP's take, it's just to point out that if you forget about what's behind the curtain the game is about as real as you're going to get for a free, nothing-to-download golf game.

And then there's the bonus of a community and worldwide friends you'll never meet.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 12:08 PM

@YJ

+1

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 12:11 PM

godelescher:
    Generally speaking, I don't care.

And you think anyone else does about whoever you are?  Lmao@You!

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 12:35 PM

Well I have only been here on PC since Feb 2018 (signed up on the app earler but did not do anything), so my hindsight is short.

I don't think clubs degrade over time - I think new clubs come out that are better.  Just like RL.  I still have the RL clubs I got in college somewhere and they did not degrade - they just were not that good at the time and clubs are available now that are much better than the top ones were then.

I hesitate to say this but, WGT could apply a durabilty attribute to clubs like they have for paid balls.  Don't let that leave this thread - don't want to see that happen.  For example, if that happened, we might have to get new clubs every 5000 hits on the club.  #Hybrids would last for years and putters for months!  My sand wedge might need replacement more often than that!  It does not seem to happen.

This game is plenty difficult and quite realistic, within the realm of what an online game or app can model.  I am frankly glad they do not model the thunderstorms and mosquitos that I lived with when I was able to play RL  No boorish clods on the course in the parties in front or behind you.  No alligators crawling out of ponds - where they were the protectors of washed balls.  No weeds so high in the fairways (public courses) that we regularly lost balls.

Equipment does not solve the game for anyone.  One has to learn the game and master the clubs, balls, and tier where they are before they can do weel with better equipment.  And if you have not seem some players that can waste a course with low level clubs and starter balls, you have not been looking.

I am not bashimg anyone - we have different opinions - and we can play and spend according to those opinions.

I have fun and plan to continue that - especially as I get more into the social part of the game YJ mentioned.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 1:39 PM

@ goldelescher : Here`s what you havent learned and its a lot . Although you have a 10 year old account , you havent been playing solid for the past 10 years . You only have 559 ranked rounds and currently on L87 . You complain about a game that you dont play and you dont even play it enough to know your clubs .

You just came back to the game 6 days ago and have nothing good to say at all . If you dont like the game then dont play it . No one is forcing you to do anything here in this game . You chose to come back and play it again .

Better clubs only mean you  will play better if you put your time in . If you watch a real tournament you will see this game replicates it in full detail . This game replicates the real thing so much that sometimes its scary . If you played the game enough then you would know this .

I dont know what you were doing over the past 10 years  but it wasnt playing or learning the game . You have missed a great deal  and have much to learn . So you can put your time in and learn how to play . Or you can spend your time whining and crying about how the game doesnt meet your expectations . Or you can simply leave and never come back .

As you can see there are many responses to your post . You stated that you dont care about our opinions . But that goes both ways . Those of us who put our time in we all know differently about the game .

This is more than a game . Its an international golfing community where friends are made and golf is played . So you see you really do have a lot to learn because you just spent the last 10 years sleeping in class . Play well .

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 3:01 PM

+1000 :)

• ronbing
    363 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 4:21 PM

I joined in 2012 stopped playing in 2013 began again 2018. Still find the game fascinating, challenging, frustrating, but tremendous fun, so just enjoy the game with whatever equipment you use.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, May 19 2019 7:46 AM

godelescher:

Disclaimer: I'm sure there will be a number of replies from well-meaning people who want to inform me, in varying degrees of politeness, what's wrong with me, my equipment, my game play, my clothes, my grammar, etc.  Generally speaking, I don't care.

1. "WGT Beta" is permanent and a lie. WGT is a business and this is its final form. Calling it "Beta" absolves WGT of financial responsibility to players who lose money (credits) due to programming errors. The testing ended a long time ago.

2. Your equipment is temporary. My clubs (Burner 2.0 irons) were once upon a time, the best irons available. Now they're not even offered anymore. Neither is my putter, driver, or wedges. All of my outdated equipment has lost accuracy, distance control, forgiveness, and spin once they were discontinued. A shot that used to fall withing a 10 yard radius if struck perfectly, now falls within a 20 yard radius. If you currently have clubs you like, don't expect them to play the same way in the future. They won't.

I'm not being paranoid, it's just business. There is only a finite amount of improvement possible with new equipment, but there is infinite room at the other end of the spectrum. As new and better equipment becomes available, older equipment (the stuff in your bag right now) becomes less precise and harder to hit. It's the only way WGT can keep offering upgrades without sending scoring into a tailspin.

3. Shot Shaping is never going to happen. Ever. For 10 years people have been asking WGT to allow for shot shaping and for 10 years WGT has ignored it. Instead, you can get back spin with your driver LOL,

WGT isn't interested in providing you with a difficult golf game that is just as frustrating as the real thing. WGT is only about equipment, not golf. Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made... all pay WGT to promote their latest equipment and balls, in turn, you pay for the privilege of being marketed to. The equipment manufacturers make money because you go out and buy the same equipment you see here. WGT makes money because everyone is paying them, and you get to pretend you're good. Adding another level of complexity to the game flies in the face of WGT's business model. You will never see anything that makes this game harder that can't be solved by a new equipment purchase.

Don't know if you'd listen to this guy, three years younger and a bit more optimistic.

634 Posts
    04-03-2016 2:06 PM

For anyone who's been here for the last four years or more, I just want to say, WGT has been a fantastic game.

For those of you who are relatively new to WGT, quit complaining about multi-accounters, shots that don't go where you hit them, cheaters, and all the other things in life you think are unfair.

The truth is, there are are people who are better than you, and you aren't really as good as you think you are.

I used to know people here who were truly amazing, some of them are still here. Some of them are gone forever.

I remember RUNWME shooting the first 49 ever on WGT. It took him probably 50 balls and 300 restarts. I remember the arguments with Bolloxinbruges about whether or not he cheated until he started you-tubing his games to show that he wasn't. I remember hosting a tournament for the best players that was maybe the best non-WGT tournament ever and had a real prize won by a guy who became a legend (real legend, not the tier).

Anyway, hi WGT. I missed you. For all the forum trolls, you simply aren't as good as the best, so quit whining. For all of the forum lurkers, keep playing. You'll get better... really.

• PAGES
RSS