Help › Forums

New Flagstick Rule

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 12 2019 2:24 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • blcurrey
    1 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 2:57 PM

How do I implement the new flag stick rule whereby I can elect to always have the flag stick in the hole and put into it if I so choose?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 7:05 PM

blcurrey:

How do I implement the new flag stick rule whereby I can elect to always have the flag stick in the hole and put into it if I so choose?

Of course that is the default before you get on the green, but I don't know if WGT has made it a real option once on the green.  You can show it or hide it, but I believe WGT assumes it is out when you hit the putt.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 7:19 PM

blcurrey:

You don't.

The game's design doesn't give you many choices.

• mega1byte
    770 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2019 6:36 AM

blcurrey:

Sry blcurrey:

The stick is in unless you remove it, but when on the green it is shown but doesn't allow the effect you are looking for.  you can't putt and hit the stick.  not a normal process anyway in real golf. Flags are always removed once all players are on the green..

I think there is a new rule in golf that allows the stick to be in as you putt, but haven't ever seen that rule used.

Mega1byte

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2019 7:36 AM

mega1byte:
    The stick is in unless you remove it, but when on the green it is shown but doesn't allow the effect you are looking for.  you can't putt and hit the stick.

+1

mega1byte:
    Flags are always removed once all players are on the green..
    That's not a rule in itself but a way of agreement between casual amateurs to play the game, in compliance with the old rule until end of 2018.

mega1byte:
    I think there is a new rule in golf that allows the stick to be in as you putt, but haven't ever seen that rule used.
    Yes there is, from Jan. 2019, and I've seen it frequently in the youtube summaries of PGA Tour tourneys. The commentators would mention it.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2019 10:37 AM

alosso:
    Yes there is, from Jan. 2019, and I've seen it frequently in the youtube summaries of PGA Tour tourneys. The commentators would mention it.

Exactly. The rule has been used since the first tournament of the season. In fact, it's received a lot of coverage. Here's an early article on it. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-rules-chief-gets-first-hand-view-of-the-new-rules-of-golf-in-action-pleased-with-early-results

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 11:41 AM

There are many instances in WGT where the rules aren't fully implemented.

ie: Why would I take my drop in 30/40 rough, when there is fairway legally in play for said drop?

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 3:53 PM

JimbeauC:

ie: Why would I take my drop in 30/40 rough, when there is fairway legally in play for said drop?

+100

• ffries61
    522 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 5:02 PM

adaputter:

JimbeauC:

+100

+1000

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 6:49 PM
    I'm more worried about the BIG LACK of different pins, than some unusefull rule who change nothing in this VIRTUAL game
  • PAGES
RSS