Forums

Help › Forums

29 yd Flop shot

Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:24 PM (32 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 12:01 AM

MCH2:

In what situation will a 29 yd flop shot outperform a full 60 yd wedge?

If you are in a bunker or anywhere when a high "wall" is right in front of you, AFAIK.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 1:38 AM

56 Wedge/38 flop is the only thing I don't use too much.   29/20 f;ops is the go with me

Depending on wind and slope.   You just have to move the pin slightly or not at all.   Full backspin and click the line before the ding.  

38 flop will run a bit more,   29 flop wil slightly run and stop,  20 flop will bounce and stop.

Depends on what golf balls you use too

• MCH2
    36 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replay goldeena.  All I can say is that the 29 flop must get a little more elevation than say a 50 or 60 yd full wedge at that distance, because I don't think the 29 yd flop can stop as quickly no matter what ball your playing.  

A short elevated shot with lots of green to work with and an uphill roll seems to be its use, but I still say -even in this situation- a full wedge would work better all things considered.

It must be it elevates slightly better at that distance than the full wedge is all I can figure.

Thanks all.  :-)

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 1:45 PM

goldeena:
    Just had one today!!

funny how things go, I, too, hardly ever use the 29yd flop (unlike the 20 yd'r which is gets frequent use) but I just finished a MP on Kia, badly misjudged the tee shot on the Par 3 14th and rolled off the green and down the hill.  

Didn't save a replay, but from memory had about 24yds to the pin, 7' up, but downhill after landing.  50% bs 29 flop and I was within 2' for par

Thomas

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 8:58 PM

MCH2:

It must be it elevates slightly better at that distance than the full wedge is all I can figure.

That is the time to use it.  I find it harder to aim, but it beats banging the ball into the steep slope in front of me!  (been there, done that!)

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2019 12:34 PM

goldeena:

still have to work on that offset

Here is your Offset. Measured in "squares"

OFFSET=C20*0.118

C20 = Yards to the pin. 

Once you get the offset, go to reverse view and move the arrow right that many squares.

Example.  A 15yd flop will yield an offset of 1.77 squares.  go to the REVERSE view, grab the pointer and move it right 1.77 squares

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:56 PM

goldeena:

Just as an aside - has anyone noticed the amount of cr@pspeak on the forums these days, just loads and loads of rubbish-speak and nobody is doing anything new or innovative - you have to flip back to around pre-2015 for all the good stuff.

These days it's just absolute waffle with nothing fresh to offer - apart from people like Splash Lewis and Myself who are always working on new stuff, so don't even dare mock what either of us are doing or discussing - we are a rarity among this stale bit chy community that has run out of ideas.

You need to get out more................

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:30 PM

goldeena:

My offset at the present time works on the actual shot power, I have often wondered just that - does it work off the actual distance to pin or the shot input distance the ball is hit -

Mine works off the actual distance you want to hit the ball, which in most cases is pin high. Sometimes you don't want to do that of course like on Wolf Creek #13 because it's a highly slanted green that you would be flopping to from the rough, downhill. In that case I am flopping to the top edge of the green and letting it roll down to the pin.

Desired distance => power%.  My offset works regardless of 20yard or 29yard club.  The offfset is exact.

regarding your other comment about the trolls,  I "try" to ignore them.  :)

RSS