Forums

Help › Forums

TopGolf expansion

Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:40 AM (21 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 12:11 PM

I know YuChiang Cheng moved to TG, but I have not heard of any great innovation that they have migrated from WGT to TG......but then again, I have never been to a TG venue, nor ever will.

I expected that you could play the WGT virtually by playing at TG venues....if they did that to make it realistic, maybe I would try it.

If I go to a range, it is to improve my swing, not have gimmicks and overpriced food and beverages.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 1:13 PM

Dont these sort of places start with high expectations?

Then end up with shitty beer and sticky carpets!

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 1:14 PM

Wayyyy back in the '80's a friend of mine tried to buy a McDonalds franchise because he had a perfect piece of property for one on I-44 by the Chrysler Plant....

To get one you had to give them $5000 along with an application....if you passed a credit check they put you on a list...if you didn't qualify, your out 5 grand...

If your name was up, when a franchise became available they contacted you and offered it to you, problem was it could have been in any state or town in your region!

If your name came up 3 times and you refused all 3, you forfeited your $5000 and had to re-apply....sounds like a bad deal but it isn't sooooo bad...

Top Golf facilities are also "Franchises", it costs anywhere from $15 to $50 million to build one, and if you go busted they get the facility.....expansion? Hardly LOL!!!

Incidentally, my friend ended up leasing to White Castle, got a much better deal....unlike McDonalds and Top Golf, if they go broke they just leave and you get the building....

On TG, we went to the new one here and it was fun, a bit expensive but worth it IMO

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 1:10 PM

HackWilson1930:

No wonder TopGolf  wants to expand. This is no longer your father's driving  range. Instead it is fully functioning playground with good eats and great drinks!

WGT, get used to slow expansion here, because the real money coming into TopGolf's coffers is coming from their real life golfing empire. That is where expansion is and will be for the near future.

Thank you for the top notch advertisement. :-P

WGT isn't going anywhere. It's expansion has been a little slower recently. We have been putting more time into development on features than we did when we were a separate company. While we have certainly still had issues over the last couple years, the releases have been far more stable.

HackWilson1930:

Can WGT provide that kind of income.

Apples and Oranges, my friend. Two very different businesses/overhead/model etc.. 

HackWilson1930:

Another reason why TopGolf might not want to do much with further WGT development.

Topgolf expansion and what's going on with WGT are two unrelated things. I promise. 

HackWilson1930:

YuChiang Cheng moved to TopGolf to become President of TopGolf Media. According to TopGolf:

"YuChiang and his team tap their gaming, entertainment and tech expertise to create meaningful, shared digital moments for the Topgolf community. Through the use of technology, Topgolf Media further enhances in-venue golf games, apps and virtual experiences."

What better way to hire someone who owns a company than to buy the company. My opinion all along has been that TopGolf wanted YuChiang. 

Topgolf bought WGT. The company that was WGT is now Topgolf Media. YC still involved in WGT, but has a much larger umbrella now.  

The Topgolf Media (TGM) team has a lot going on now. Some departments grew so they could work on both Topgolf and WGT. 

We're still rolling on new stuff for WGT and we're not going anywhere. 

_CHAMPION 

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 1:11 PM

fatdan:

Wayyyy back in the '80's a friend of mine tried to buy a McDonalds franchise because he had a perfect piece of property for one on I-44 by the Chrysler Plant....

To get one you had to give them $5000 along with an application....if you passed a credit check they put you on a list...if you didn't qualify, your out 5 grand...

If your name was up, when a franchise became available they contacted you and offered it to you, problem was it could have been in any state or town in your region!

If your name came up 3 times and you refused all 3, you forfeited your $5000 and had to re-apply....sounds like a bad deal but it isn't sooooo bad...

Top Golf facilities are also "Franchises", it costs anywhere from $15 to $50 million to build one, and if you go busted they get the facility.....expansion? Hardly LOL!!!

Incidentally, my friend ended up leasing to White Castle, got a much better deal....unlike McDonalds and Top Golf, if they go broke they just leave and you get the building....

On TG, we went to the new one here and it was fun, a bit expensive but worth it IMO

Not franchised at all. We have partners in different regions we work with, but no franchises. 

_CHAMPION 

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 2:40 PM

LOL, thanks for making me sift back through articles and reread them Champion, but I knew what I had read, however you work for the company so you should know...

This was a most unusual article I read, after laying out how much it costs to build a "franchise", what you would need and the whole 9 yards about getting a TG "franchise"....towards the end of the article, after "all' the financial details it says this....

Investment Estimate

The average TopGolf facility costs approximately 18 million dollars to establish. Originating in the UK and now with numerous locations over the USA; the company plans to expand globally. At this time, the official website is stating that TopGolf is a privately owned company with no current franchise opportunities; however, if you do have 10 to 20 million lying around, you may wish to pursue this endeavor.

What! Why write the articles(and there are several) if you can't get a franchise LOL, it's like they don't believe you can't get one....

My bad! Should've read the whole thing!

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 2:52 PM

fatdan:

LOL, thanks for making me sift back through articles and reread them Champion, but I knew what I had read, however you work for the company so you should know...

This was a most unusual article I read, after laying out how much it costs to build a "franchise", what you would need and the whole 9 yards about getting a TG "franchise"....towards the end of the article, after "all' the financial details it says this....

Investment Estimate

The average TopGolf facility costs approximately 18 million dollars to establish. Originating in the UK and now with numerous locations over the USA; the company plans to expand globally. At this time, the official website is stating that TopGolf is a privately owned company with no current franchise opportunities; however, if you do have 10 to 20 million lying around, you may wish to pursue this endeavor.

What! Why write the articles(and there are several) if you can't get a franchise LOL, it's like they don't believe you can't get one....

My bad! Should've read the whole thing!

haha! No problem. 

_CHAMPION 

• xxxYKD25
    410 Posts
    Sat, Nov 17 2018 3:34 AM

WGTChampion:

HackWilson1930:

No wonder TopGolf  wants to expand. This is no longer your father's driving  range. Instead it is fully functioning playground with good eats and great drinks!

WGT, get used to slow expansion here, because the real money coming into TopGolf's coffers is coming from their real life golfing empire. That is where expansion is and will be for the near future.

Thank you for the top notch advertisement. :-P

WGT isn't going anywhere. It's expansion has been a little slower recently. We have been putting more time into development on features than we did when we were a separate company. While we have certainly still had issues over the last couple years, the releases have been far more stable.

HackWilson1930:

Can WGT provide that kind of income.

Apples and Oranges, my friend. Two very different businesses/overhead/model etc.. 

HackWilson1930:

Another reason why TopGolf might not want to do much with further WGT development.

Topgolf expansion and what's going on with WGT are two unrelated things. I promise. 

HackWilson1930:

YuChiang Cheng moved to TopGolf to become President of TopGolf Media. According to TopGolf:

"YuChiang and his team tap their gaming, entertainment and tech expertise to create meaningful, shared digital moments for the Topgolf community. Through the use of technology, Topgolf Media further enhances in-venue golf games, apps and virtual experiences."

What better way to hire someone who owns a company than to buy the company. My opinion all along has been that TopGolf wanted YuChiang. 

Topgolf bought WGT. The company that was WGT is now Topgolf Media. YC still involved in WGT, but has a much larger umbrella now.  

The Topgolf Media (TGM) team has a lot going on now. Some departments grew so they could work on both Topgolf and WGT. 

We're still rolling on new stuff for WGT and we're not going anywhere. 

_CHAMPION 

well haven't had a chuckle like that in a while..

Assuming champion doesn't actually play this game by that comment cause if he did i'm stunned that anyone could make that claim..

Regardless fo what is said, we as the consumers of wgt have without any doubt seen nothing but the lack of anything worthwhile to our playing experience or improvements of any substance, and its what is shown that we can gauge by, words telling us how great everything is here is just that.. words without substance.. IMO

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 7:10 AM

xxxYKD25:

well haven't had a chuckle like that in a while..

Assuming champion doesn't actually play this game by that comment cause if he did i'm stunned that anyone could make that claim..

Regardless fo what is said, we as the consumers of wgt have without any doubt seen nothing but the lack of anything worthwhile to our playing experience or improvements of any substance, and its what is shown that we can gauge by, words telling us how great everything is here is just that.. words without substance.. IMO

Hmm, guess you won't like Wolf Creek in December. 

_CHAMPION 

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 7:41 AM

There used to be a player on here who owned the whole of applebees diners .

I played him in a random alternate shot .

I said next time i am in you can buy me an apple pie dessert .

His response - we do not sell apple pie .

RSS