Forums

Help › Forums

TopGolf expansion

Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:40 AM (21 replies)
  • HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 9:28 AM

WGT players are getting excited about the next course release.

But the real excitement within TopGolf has to be expansion.

Here at WGT we missed the announcement that TopGolf Columbus, OH opened its doors October 19, 2018.

We also missed the announcement that ground was broken for the Schaumburg, IL location on November 8, 2018.

Nor did we get notice that staffing interviews start November 19, 2018 for the Baton Rouge, LA  venue that will open early in 2019. Baton Rouge will be the 52 TopGolf venue opened since 2000.

This is what TopGolf offers in Columbus:

100+ climate-controlled hitting bays
    Full-service restaurant & bars
    Private event spaces & meeting rooms
    Rooftop terrace with fire pit
    Over 200 HDTVs
    Free Wi-Fi

The bar and restaurant menu at Columbus runs over 15 pages. They have 10 beers on tap with 22 bottled or canned beers.  They have high end burgers, salads, appetizers as well as flat breads. 

No wonder TopGolf  wants to expand. This is no longer your father's driving  range. Instead it is fully functioning playground with good eats and great drinks!

WGT, get used to slow expansion here, because the real money coming into TopGolf's coffers is coming from their real life golfing empire. That is where expansion is and will be for the near future.

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 10:29 AM

Went to the TopGolf venue in Katy TX. last time I went home for awhile.

Wasn't really all that impressed. Sure, it's great if you want your senses assaulted by lights and loud sound. I thought golf was supposed to be quite and serene. Silly me.

Our server was a bit of an airhead. She came back to the table three times before she got the order right. Then when we needed refills it was a case of almost having to physically grab her to get her attention.

I guess she thought four old guys weren't going to tip her all that well. After her treatment of us, she was right. All she got was the obligatory 15%.

So basically WGT is run on the same business model.

Get em in, get their money, get em out. And pay no attention to the glitches that might cause a problem. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 11:14 AM

There is no doubt that management and staff are vital to the success of most business models. But TopGolf, themselves, don't see golfers as their core market. In fact  TopGolf says that more than half of their customers are NOT golfers and only 8% are considered avid by playing  25 or more rounds a year.

Depending on time of day a bay in Columbus rents from $25 to $45 per hour. During peak hours, Columbus returns $4500 per hour for just hitting golf balls. Food and drink add to that. A good bar during evening hours might move 2 to 3 beers per hour per guest.  A bucket  or two of 6 beers consumed in a bay at a cost of $25/ bucket can add to revenue. Have a burger at $10 and we begin to talk serious money.

Then consider that 2017 saw an average of 37,000  visits per DAY to TopGolf venues. If those 37,000 were groups of 4 (each bay can accommodate 6) that would amount to over 9000 bay rentals /day.  If half of those bay rental went for 2 hours, the daily bay rental throughout the TopGolf  system would be approaching $500,000 per day or about $180,000,000 per year. (These estimates are  without taking into consideration food and beverage sales.)

Can WGT provide that kind of income.

• pmm711
    5,509 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 3:55 PM
    No avid golfers for sure....but a great date night. Sure as hell beats bowling. 😂
  • RANGER1988
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 4:59 PM

I have to disagree with you on that one Paul, I always enjoy a nice Turkey or 4 Bagger every once in a while!!!! LMAO

• RANGER1988
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 5:01 PM

Oh and by the way for anyone that would like to entertain the Tampa Top Golf resort, the service was great, and my Fellow comrades really enjoyed the Activity!

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 7:38 AM

Supposed to be one near me in Michigan.  About  a 40 minute drive.  No specified date other than the usual   "Coming Soon"  lol

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 10:36 AM

Auburn Hills

Pharr, Texas to open this Friday, November 16, 2018. The amount of money Pharr, outside of McAllen, is giving to TopGolf through incentives over the next 10 to 15 years amounts to about $5 Million.

Another reason why TopGolf  might not want to do much with further WGT development.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 11:21 AM

hpurey:

Supposed to be one near me in Michigan.  About  a 40 minute drive.  No specified date other than the usual   "Coming Soon"  lol

Like the Bank?

If I was TG, I would be wary of pumping money into this game too - reducing client base, flash dying off and in time, so will the game for PC players and I am not sure how many mobile players really churn rounds out like on PC.

TBH, I am not sure why TG actually bought WGT. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 11:43 AM

YuChiang Cheng moved to TopGolf to become President of TopGolf Media. According to TopGolf:

"YuChiang and his team tap their gaming, entertainment and tech expertise to create meaningful, shared digital moments for the Topgolf community. Through the use of technology, Topgolf Media further enhances in-venue golf games, apps and virtual experiences."

What better way to hire someone who owns a company than to buy the company. My opinion all along has been that TopGolf wanted YuChiang. 

RSS