Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:55 AM

I'm not even sure taking notes will help.  Obviously the faster the balls move in one direction, the more the putt breaks... But how do you quantify that, and how do you write it down?  'If the balls move really fast, aim x inches for every y feet.  If the balls move really, REALLY fast, aim y inches for every z feet.'  Huh? 

I have found that (as in real golf) some nights I have it, and everything seems to be very close or in, and other nights nothing seems to work.  Playing different green speeds all the time (I play rg's a lot) doesn't help.

Speaking of which, has anyone posted how to figure out the championship greens re: how hard to hit putts?  Haven't seen that anywhere in here.  Tourney greens are 10% or so faster than very fast greens.  Championship greens are considerably faster, but how much?   Especially if I'm hitting the putt at 80 or 90% of the meter, the ball goes twice as far as the distance on the meter.  Lots of guessing on those greens!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 8:20 AM

CMcCartney727:
    Playing different green speeds all the time (I play rg's a lot) doesn't help.

I'm on the fence about this, CM. I play them a lot too and find that the differences in the speeds is magnifying the differences, making it slightly easier to adjust to each one. I'm just not sure how much it's lousing up my putting. Like you, some days you're sinking everything in sight and other days you're scrambling not to 3 putt.

I think you might be underestimating the Championship greens by about 15%. I use the 45 foot scale on my Redwood for 11-12 ft putts on VF and T greens. I use it for 15 ft putts on C greens. The biggest difference is with down hill putts. There's a momentum factor when the ball starts rolling that is hard to describe. Just because it says 4" down hill doesn't mean make a 4 foot adjustment. Conversely, uphill putts obviously slow down quicker, just not as fast as they normally would.

Try shifting your scales on the C greens. Where you would normally use a 30 ft scale, try the 15. Or instead of the 60 use the 30, something like that. Unfortunately, those C greens only appear in that 1 RG on KIA front so it's tough to get practice on them. I just remember what I did in the Opens. I actually prefer them over all the rest. GL

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2010 12:47 PM

I guessed as much. Time to practice, and take notes.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 12:10 PM

I'm not sure about this moving the marker and hiting the ding. It is lousing my game up and I am not enjoying it. I think intentionally missing the ding left or right is the method that will see most putts in for me. I will lose the Redwood putter as well.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:11 PM

I don't move the marker.. I hit it before of after the line and I'm one putting heaps more than I used to. Takes a bit of practise, and sometimes I have to move the marker on long putts with a very fast roll left or right.

gl

Roger (mantis0014)

• drums4ev
    1 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2010 7:41 AM

YOu know I would think that if I could practice just putting I can get better at it. I wish I had the skills to create a website to just practice on putting I think iot can help a lot of people.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2010 2:20 PM

mantis0014:

I don't move the marker.. I hit it before of after the line and I'm one putting heaps more than I used to. Takes a bit of practise, and sometimes I have to move the marker on long putts with a very fast roll left or right.

gl

Roger (mantis0014)

There are 2 major ways to putt. one is the one you mentioned which happens to be  the way I putt. The late and early hit also requires you to compensate with more or less speed depending on how early or late you hit. Moving the marker is the other method. I have tried the moving the marker method but feel I am better at the first method rather than the later. I believe it is what one is personally comfortable with. IMO.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2010 3:00 PM

Yep,

Cheers for that.

• tommo7777
    1 Posts
    Sun, Nov 28 2010 6:31 AM

hi was playing st andrews today had a straight 36 ft putt bt meter come up 0 to 30 ft so it was short on full power why was this and does it happen a lot

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 28 2010 2:12 PM

tommo7777:

hi was playing st andrews today had a straight 36 ft putt bt meter come up 0 to 30 ft so it was short on full power why was this and does it happen a lot

Do not trust whatever the caddie suggests. Pick your own scale which you can do with those two little up and down arrows by the scale number. Get in the habit of checking it every time. GL

RSS