Forums

Help › Forums

The Alt-Shot World Challenge

Thu, Oct 17 2019 10:11 PM (632 replies)
  • bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:47 AM

All three play mate but team of two have the two chances to win the hole.

Just set at stroke for three and keep manual score of who wins hole.

As said...the team of two have advantage but it's better for the single player than just losing.

This was only done on tee mnd and was an option seems we were there.

If I won I would not have claimed win as it was not a rule .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 11:09 AM

After thinking about it a minute I think it might not be such a hot idea as it could potentially be exploited. Wleiss' point is a good one.

• wleiss
    6,281 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 11:45 AM

bubbsboy:

All three play mate but team of two have the two chances to win the hole.

Just set at stroke for three and keep manual score of who wins hole.

As said...the team of two have advantage but it's better for the single player than just losing.

This was only done on tee mnd and was an option seems we were there.

If I won I would not have claimed win as it was not a rule .

Yes, I understand that, in fact we've been playing that way a bit in our club the last week or so.  My point is that I would rather play against the world class player with a so-so partner in Alt Shot, than two on one against him/her in Better Ball. I kinda wish I hadn't mentioned the potential downside of that setup because I think I just talked one of our guys out of the tournament. LOL.  Maybe his assigned partner will show up.

• ConfusionMaster
    1,643 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 12:18 PM

wleiss:

YankeeJim:

bubbsboy:
    Unfortunately my P was absent when we set up so we went on to play Better Ball strokeplay seems we were there.

Interesting resolution to the situation. As long as all 3 players approve I like the option.  :-)

Could this be added as a problem resolution option/rule? Only if all three players agree? We have at least one player in our club in this situation, I think. I can think of reasons why a team of two would rather not play a very talented team of one in Better Ball. In some cases it could actually hurt the chances of the team of two, even played as  Better Ball, because their opponent would be hitting every shot, rather than every other one.

YankeeJim:

After thinking about it a minute I think it might not be such a hot idea as it could potentially be exploited. Wleiss' point is a good one.

Bear in mind this is my opinion, and just my opinion, not looking for an argument etc.

The competition is touted as an Alternative Shot competition, therefore as such all games should be played Alternative Shot or nothing else.

However having said that, if a group of two pairs of players have been drawn against each other are having difficulty arranging a suitable time (now bear in mind, everyone knew they were letting themselves so should have been prepared to be VERY flexible) can come up with a solution that all four agree on and are happy to play then they should be able to do that and pass the result on to the organiser.

I must stress that ALL four should agree and be happy with the solution, no one player or team should have that solution forced on them.

Once it is agreed between all four then that solution should be presented to the organiser and if he/she agrees, then they play and the result stands, with no whining afterwards by any parties.

It should also be a very last resort, because at then end of the day, the competition is billed as an AS competition and that is what we all signed up to enjoy.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree with it but don't start insulting me for it.

CM

• wleiss
    6,281 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:04 PM

Noshots/wleiss win 2 up over Terwyl1/ttuna1234  in Round 1 of losers bracket, match #57.

We had a good time out there. At the same time, we played hard.  A couple beautiful putts by my partner were the difference. He's not bad for an old guy. Thanks Terwyl and Tommy. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:06 PM

Yip, no problem with us, 3 were at tee and one unfortunately could not make it at last minute.

Game had been rescheduled couple times so we just decided to have some fun as time was running out to get it done, so that was my idea of a bit fun and away we went.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:42 PM

ConfusionMaster:
    Like I said, this is just my opinion

And it's a good one. One of the benefits of having all this stumbling at the start is that the problems get pointed out and solutions get discussed. This will be a huge help for the next time. The alternate solution this time was a stop gap measure so not to have the tournament bog down but it does defeat the spirit of the competition.

This is a good time for players to speak up with their ideas for improving the format. The time zones really make it difficult as we all know but perhaps a time zone type of division in the early rounds could overcome that. Just an idea.  :-)

• AlaskanDame
    19,000 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 7:05 PM

Just would like to mention that playing times are much more important than time zones.  Some people work nights or swing shift.  Some people fly wgt flags that are not actually where they live.  My club has UK flagger who lives in Viet Nam and French flaggger who lives in Thailand, for instance.

• bluey403
    1,527 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 4:37 AM

I really don't see a problem with scheduling

You either play or don't enter, I am in the worst affected time zone, ie Aussie east coast but have played 100's of alts back in the day with WGTLS, 3 of Finny's World Cups and have already confirmed a time to play Round 3 match here,

Never missed a game, except once for an hour or so with a crossover to daylight time that I was unaware of

It is all about a little give and take, like any relationship we have as responsible adults, simples.

• mikegooner0
    13,860 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 2:08 PM

don't put your name down to play Alt-Shot (world challenge)if you cant be flexible …end of.

RSS