Forums

Help › Forums

Replacement for my Taylor Made R11 3 wood

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 18 2018 3:27 PM (22 replies)
  • Martino991
    15 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 1:23 PM

Just want to follow up my earlier post on my Taylor Made R11 irons. Thank you to the two people who kindly responded to me - I'm really grateful. After advice I'm going to change to the Ping 25 irons when I reach level 59 in 5 levels time.

I also have the R11 3 wood, which like the irons is a bit quick. I'm going to start using a slower ball which will obviously help, but does anyone have a suitable suggestion for a replacement? For example how would the G25 3 wood (L58) compare? I see that whilst it's a bit less forgiving than the R11 its meter speed is a bit slower.

Any advice gratefully received.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 4:04 PM

Martino991:
    I also have the R11 3 wood, which like the irons is a bit quick. I'm going to start using a slower ball which will obviously help,

TBH, it was for that reason I actually passed on the L48 driver you have in your bag.  Don't get me wrong it is a great driver and a better price than the TM M1 L55 driver I ended up going with but the meter speed was much better for me.  

Yes you can offset speed with slower meter balls but you end up spending a lot more in the long run on more expensive balls versus a few hundred credits more on the driver.  With the M1 TM driver I was able to play L11 Srixon Balls all the way until I got promoted to Legend tier.  That being said,...

I believe I opted for the L51 Cally Fusion 3wd around that time frame, but it is now the Rogue Sub Zero still at L51.  with an even better meter speed than when I bought mine.  I don't think you would regret this upgrade.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 4:15 PM

@Martino991

Until you get to Legend tier, I wouldn't worry about the three wood. Plus, the forgiveness of the G25 would scare me off. If I were you, I'd be tempted to wait until Level 73 for the Callaway.

Besides, if you were to upgrade the 3 wood now, you'll probably want to upgrade again at Level 73. I just don't think you'll be getting the best bang for your buck if you upgrade it now. 

I'd save the credits. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 4:31 PM

Martino991:
    I also have the R11 3 wood, which like the irons is a bit quick.

Sit down, focus and pay attention to the novel idea I have. LOL 

In all seriousness, you don't need a 3W until you get to Legend. Look at how many times you use it and then look at how many times you would use a 4th wedge!  Look at the coverage you would get where it's important--your short game. 

You play driver/wedge golf now so why waste a spot for that occasional 3W? Use the spot for another wedge that'll enhance your game immeasurably. 4 wedges with all 5 shots-full, pitch, punch, chip and flop-gets you 20 different yardages where you need them most.  :-)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 5:00 PM

Wise words from Jim.  I'd listen makes sense.  

You can still birdie the par 5's easily with driver, 3i, wedge, putt if you couldn't reach without a 3w.

But...I think you'll be able to ready most if not all with a long iron anyway as a Tour Pro.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 6:26 PM

I won't disagree that a 3wd may have limited use, but a 4th wedge?  I believe I have only come across one maybe 2 players that I have ever seen carry 4 wedges on WGT and they weren't among the top players in the game.  

I can see how saving credits for the time being seems reasonable but I fail to see how spending credits on 4th wedge is sound advice in this case and a better option.  

But, it does show how you can and will find a variety of views and opinions... That being said, I very much agree learning and knowing the wedges you do carry is crucial to saving par on holes where you miss the green and need to get up and down.  But a 4th wedge won't make a huge difference there.  You are typically choosing between one or two wedges for those shots.    

this doesn't make it good or bad advice, just another perspective, just as what I shared is my perspective.  not trying to completely dismiss but maybe help clarify what seems puzzling, at least to me...

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 7:04 PM

el3n1:

I won't disagree that a 3wd may have limited use, but a 4th wedge?  I believe I have only come across one maybe 2 players that I have ever seen carry 4 wedges on WGT and they weren't among the top players in the game.  

I can see how saving credits for the time being seems reasonable but I fail to see how spending credits on 4th wedge is sound advice in this case and a better option.

For the tier he's at, I think it's actually a great idea.

When he gets the Ping irons, I think his wedge numbers would then be 60, 75, 90, 105, and 115, if he got the 4th wedge. Since he's not hitting from the back tees, it would probably serve him well.

With the 3 wood, he'll have a fairly good size gap between the PW and the 56 degree.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 7:04 PM

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 7:18 PM

kavvz:

Wise words from Jim.  I'd listen makes sense.

I have to agree too, even if you decide not to go with a fourth wedge I certainly wouldn't worry about my 3wd yet, as Robert said.

e13n1, as I see it the OP is a tour pro so hitting off shorter tees than the "top players". I think a good fourth wedge would be more beneficial than upgrading his 3wd.

Cheers!

Rich

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 8:15 PM

To each his own, bu i never advise or recommend doing what i myself did not or would not do, especially if someone is trying to be selective in how they spend credits.  

He will eventually upgrade all wedges and resolve the gap issue, which can also be addressed in other ways.  

Also i definitely recall holes where a 3wd that has a higher ball flight was the best club off the tee, especially since his driver is mid flight and can get caught in trees on various courses, been there tried that and wished i knew to hit 3wd instead, but some people think driver is always hit off the tee, but it isnt always the best course management.  

Based on his inquiry i offered what i felt best answered his concern.  And he could still use that same 3wd much longer with fewer upgrades than a temporary wedge addition.  Granted most lower tier clubs are temporary so you try to explore options which is what he is doing and getting various perspectives.  

RSS