Forums

Help › Forums

Your Opinion on the new Balls

Tue, May 15 2018 1:11 PM (24 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 12:57 PM

Additionally, if I recall correctly, someone mentioned in another thread that there's not a direct replacement for the Nike 48+.* 

So, I think there are at least two holes with the current balls in comparison to the Nikes: Level 48 and Level 71. 

Players who played those balls will pay more for comparable balls, if they can find one. 

*But I didn't verify that, so I can't be sure that's correct. In fact, I just looked, and it appears to me that the new Level 48 ball is the same. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong. 

• RickRR
    119 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 1:00 PM

For what it matters, I just replaced the Nike RZN Lvl 81 ball with the TaylorMade TP5x Lvl 81 ball at the same cost. Just finished a round at Erin Hills, I did not see any differences in the two balls. But I will say the TaylorMade felt different, how that is possible on a game, but it seemed to roll better and travel better. And as someone else mentioned the Titleist are too expensive for this old man.. I won't be stocking up on the Nike ball anymore, but need to use what I got. My two cents worth.

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 1:03 PM

I  did not say the 71s JIm. I know they are different. But there are ball available to purchase that did not go up. Not trying to start an argument Mr. Jim. Check out the 48 taylormades Robert.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 1:15 PM

lonnieskinner:
    But there are ball available to purchase that did not go up.

I am aware of that but that doesn't solve the problem. The 51 Volviks are a good example. They're 50 credits cheaper but you have to sacrifice distance. A 5 dot distance with the Vapors dropping to a 4 makes a huge difference in the carry of the 3, 4 and 5 irons. The PW-6 are close enough but those 3 irons suffer carry shortages in the 8-10 yard range. To maintain that carry is going to cost another 100 credits and that is wrong, IMO.

If all they did was photoshop the logos, they missed out on a couple of replacements.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 1:46 PM

YankeeJim:

Sorry Lonnie but you're wrong. The 71 Nikes cost 450 credits and the exact replacement-which really isn't even exact because of a slower meter-is 550 credits.

That ball is the lvl 81 Nike replacement.....lvl 71 was a popular ball, very surprised it was overlooked...

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 2:00 PM

fatdan:
    .lvl 71 was a popular ball, very surprised it was overlooked...

I agree. That is surprising. Not offering a ball comparable to the old Nike Level 71 is a bit of a head scratcher. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 2:49 PM

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 5:38 PM

lonnieskinner:
    Check out the 48 taylormades Robert.

You must not have seen my edit. I did check them out, and they appear to be the same. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 7:52 PM

I couldn't resist, I tried the Titleist level 90s.  Over 9 holes, I kept track, and averaged 5 yards more on the drives. Didn't see any difference in spin,and wind didn't seem to affect it's flight. Meter speed was real nice, it was smooth and consistant.  Overall, not worth the extra $ for me to spend.  Scoring was my usual, when this sleeve is gone, won't purchase another. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 5:39 AM

fatdan:
    .lvl 71 was a popular ball, very surprised it was overlooked...

The 81 TM does have the same specs as the 71 Nike but the meter is slower. That might not seem like a big deal but the slower meter is a pain.  :-(

RSS