Help › Forums

Uneven lies

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 30 2018 4:43 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tanneralis
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 3:50 AM

When uneven lies was introduced by WGT back in the day I was keen to try it out only to find that they had no idea what they were doing.......a ball slightly below or above your feet let's say over 100 yards would only be inclined to move above 10 feet either way.....NOT 30 yards you muppets.......my knowledge of real golf is extensive so to say WGT's uneven lies set up was the most unrealistic aspect of this game was an understatement.

I never played it again and wasn't interested unless a massive revamp of the feature was initiated. My CC currently has a tourney with the 2nd round an uneven lie round so I wasn't overly excited but gave it a go, my 1st approach shot where the uneven lie meter appears showed the ball slightly below my feet indicating the ball will want to to go right.

So....I aimed left to the point where i thought it was way too far left but remembered the over exaggerated WGT setup, let's throw in the wind was right to left as well. I ding the shot and the ball went instantly right of the green into a bunker. I laughed to myself and simply exited the round, nothing has changed......they still have no idea..

Furthermore....if you have 100 yards to the green and the meter shows a slight upslope you don't lose 30 yards in distance, in real golf you would gain distance a lot of the time due to getting the ball up in the air quicker.

WGT study up on just how severe an uneven lie may cause a directional change and fix this rubbish. My home course is famous for it's lack of flat lies where I am a single figure marker so like I said I know what I'm talking about.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 5:44 AM

tanneralis:
    My home course is famous for it's lack of flat lies where I am a single figure marker so like I said I know what I'm talking about.

Forget RL golf ;)

You have to learn the Uneven dynamics of this on-line game..

Once you know / approximate what the ball will do,then the same will happen each time ( just like WGT flat lies )

Any half decent player on here could be quite proficient after a couple of weeks practice imo, though some can't be bothered re-learning.

I had the same mindset in the beginning ^^ but once you apply yourself it's fun and much more satisfying to shoot a UEL 28 than on the flat. Alleviates the boredom factor of grab club / whack / birdie ..> next hole    ;))

Go at it with a 'blank slate', make notes and enjoy ! ( or not )

Andy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:37 AM

Am sooo in your corner, T. UELs are silly as hell the way they play. Kudos to the gamers that have figured it out, it sure isn't golf.

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:41 AM

I'm not too bad at unevens Jim and I don't consider myself a gamer, just a tryer.....  but I agree it's not very realistic 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 7:53 AM

In the very beginning UeL was absurd. I remember being in a bunker with a bit of downslope. Even my lob wedge wouldn't clear the lip. Gave up on it. 

Later, WGT improved it, so I gave it another go. True, many of the things I'd do IRL aren't available, gripping down, flexing the knees, etc. Now I enjoy playing them. I sponsor weekly tourneys that feature a handicap system. The handicap is similar to the USGA method. We've assigned slope/rating for the main 10 courses. 

One thing I did when I introduced the concept to the club was to put up a very simple UeL primer. I'm told that it was quite helpful in getting people in the ballpark with the concept. 

Most of the folk who participate have handicaps in black figures. Mine is currently +4 and occasionally goes to +5. Anyway, I've never put the primer up on the main before. 

Here it is, FWIW.

----------------------

How I play unevens.

On the tee.

In even lies just hitting the fairway is good enough. In unevens finding the flattest part of the fairway is the way to go. I've played enough unevens that I don't have to do this, but using the fairway cameras to scope out the landing area can be beneficial. A good example is #18 StA. On the right you have the hills and dales, but on the left is the FLAT fairway of #1. Yes, you have a longer approach, but you also have a much flatter lie.

From the fairway - approaches.

How much to allow for left/right - I try to match the angle as indicated in the lower right lie indicator. This tends to be constant. Regardless of lie expect to lose some power. I generally add 4-5 yards to the calculation. Even with a black lie, I'll add a couple. Look at your target. Is that a sucker pin - hard to hit? Go for the middle of the green and two putt for par. Drop a long one and rejoice or settle for a well deserved par.

Oops - missed the green. Still try to dupe the angle, but now the side dots are important. Usually front to back. 2 seconds -Double the distance. 4 Seconds -1.5. 8 Seconds - 1.25. This is a fairly straight progression so niggle other timings. I've holed out a few of these - truly gratifying in unevens. 

Red lies around the green: Just get the ball on and do no worse than bogey is a fine outcome.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:01 AM

JimbeauC:
    I try to match the angle as indicated in the lower right lie indicator.

What do you mean by this? Match it to what?

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 10:40 AM

There are 2 lie indicators, one at the feet of your avatar and one under the ball where you adjust spin. The second is (IMO) the more accurate. 

First I'll adjust for wind, then return to the player camera. If I have an uphill lie (dot moving to rear of player) WGT will send the ball left. I just judge the angle of the bottom line and move my aim to the right with the overhead course map aimer to match that angle. 

Reverse for downhill lie. 

• tanneralis
    419 Posts
    Mon, Jan 29 2018 3:11 PM

This game is advertised as the most realistic golf game ever and it most likely is but the UEL portion of the game isn't even close.....if WGT actually learn about the fundamentals of golf which they know nothing about and make the UEL somewhat realistic I will definitely endeavour to play more UEL rounds...until then it's pathetic and it's not for me .

• Pingkin
    512 Posts
    Mon, Jan 29 2018 5:47 PM

It's a game chill.UEL is fun when you get a grip of it..far more challenging.Unrealistic it maybe but as already said it can be learned.I set up all shots as i do for even lies but i do try to aim to land in a good spot as opposed to anywhere on the fairway.Once said shot is set up as norm then i view the box at the feet and adjust from there.Just hit my first 58 at St Andys in UEL and it was very enjoyable but it does take about 20-30 mins more brain damage..er thinking/mental calcs to play the round.If you expect to rush thru a 18 holer in 35-40 mins you got no chance imo.

At the end of the day its just  a computer game dont compair it to real golf.

• RoggRR
    588 Posts
    Mon, Jan 29 2018 11:54 PM

it looks real sometimes ...

... can get a blister or two on my fingers,
    ... by shooting from bunker or bigger uphill

• PAGES
RSS