Forums

Help › Forums

On quitters in multiplayer games yet again ...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 7 2009 10:03 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2009 3:12 PM

Problem : People quitting multiplayer games

Fallout : Game problems for remaining players

Analysis : Problem solving tools and solutions need to be implemented

It is the old common sense tool and one most widely used by children who haven't learned to be biased ... the question WHY ...

WHY are people quitting multiplayer games?

Possible reasons ...

1: Not wanting to affect your score average

2: Avoiding embarressment

3: Internet or other game related issues

4: Personal obligations in real life

5: Abuse by another player

6: Another player playing so poorly that one becomes frustrated waiting to shoot

7: Add your own here ...

Solutions ...

I can think of only two that cover the majority of reasons for quitting ...

1: The ability to choose whether to card your score or not after a round is complete ... solves 1 and 2 ...

1a: Basing scoring averages on tournament results and any other ranked round one has completed ... (basically a corollary to the first solution)

2: 3, 4, 5, and anything else added to #7 ... disconnection may be the only option and yes a person should use common courtesy and let the other players know he must/ wishes to leave ....

Other than that we are just going to have to deal with quitters on a personal basis ... in other words "suck it up and go on" ... keep a personal ignore list for crying out loud ....

Reputation tracking is NOT the solution as it WILL NOT reflect the reasons why a person left a game legitimately or no ... it will just penalize the good with the bad ...

A final word ... ABUSE BY ANY PLAYER SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED

I recommend reporting it ...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2009 3:30 PM

donsprintr:
    Reputation tracking is NOT the solution as it WILL NOT reflect the reasons why a person left a game legitimately or no ... it will just penalize the good with the bad 

Reputation tracking is the solution and will not penalize the good with the bad if it is implemented correctly by WGT. Implementing it correctly means that only completely voluntary disconnections will be penalized. For more details, please read this post.

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 11:02 AM

I don't know why I'm replying to this, but...

First off your post is well thought out and reasoned, but I keep seeing a couple things repeated in these quitting threads and I'm finally going to shoot some hot air over it.

I really don't think 2,5,6 and to some extent 1 and 4 are 'legitimate' reasons for leaving.

2- Avoiding embarassment. ??? This isn't a reason to leave! If you don't want other people to see what you do then why are you setting up for multiplayer to begin with? Would you jump in a swimming pool if you didn't know how to swim? Play single player then!

5- Abuse by another player. This is unfortunate to be sure, and if it is just 1on1 then perhaps, but if there are more people there, you can simply close the chat window. Hopefully an ignore feature will be added.

6- Waiting to shoot. Unless the guy is purposely waiting until 1 second left every time, I would say see same reasons for 2. It's multiplayer, it's going to take longer.

4- Personal obligations. Yes, sometimes it is a REAL emergency. But far and away it isn't. Manage your time. If you know it takes 1.5 hours (or whatever) to play a game with 4 people, don't start a game 30 minutes before the wife is going to have dinner ready, have to run errands, go to work, or whatever. See #2. Know what you're doing.

1-Average. Could write pages on this one, but the way it's set up I don't mind so much if they wait until the last hole, but hole 4 in the sand or rough etc, come on. Play single player if you're planning on doing that.

I'm looking forward to reputation tracking as I don't really care if Bob Golfer has a 40% completion rate because he has long term memory issues and constantly starts 2 hour games 10 minutes before he has to be somewhere or if he's just trying to pad his average.

I'm booting him either way.

• leetiyler
    101 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 11:22 AM

May I take this time to apologize for putting the members through the bickering that I and another have been doing over the weekend. I am sincerely sorry, BUT I could not sit back and allow that member to smear my wife, my friend and myself.

On quitters in multiplayer games yet again

• leetiyler
    101 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 11:23 AM

On quitters in multiplayer games yet again

sabbath, you wrapped it up. Nice post.

• Milkhead
    2 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:45 PM

If you are playing a rated game, then your rating shoudl be impacted if you quit (and don't, at very least, finish the round later.)

If you are playing an unranked game, it shouldnt do anything.

This is the way it is with 99% of online games.  Dont reinvent the wheel.

• leetiyler
    101 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:53 PM

If you are playing an unranked game, it shouldnt do anything.

I do not think that most people would agree with that. I would assume an unranked game is when you are playing by yourself. To my knowledge, all games played on group are ranked games. Maybe I do not understand your post, if so, could you explain

Thanks

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:58 PM

leetiyler, multiplayer games can be played in either Ranked or Practice (unranked) mode.

Start a multiplayer group and you will see there is an option for it.

• leetiyler
    101 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 5:36 PM

sabbath, did not know, ty

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 12:56 PM

The best and proven way to avoid quitters is to join the WGT Ladder System and play only with the members of this site...HBthree

• PAGES
RSS