Forums

Help › Forums

Anyone Seen This Before

Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:47 PM (4 replies)
  • VenusRising
    459 Posts
    Sun, Dec 17 2017 1:16 PM

About 15 minutes ago I had an approach shot on hole 7 of Erin Hills, that was 51 Yards with 2-4 MPH wind. I aimed about 5 yards left & dinged it. The ball landed on the fringe way left of the hole. Should of been 3-5 feet from the pin. I saved the replay & noticed that the yardage now says 152 feet!! It should only show feet on the green. Very strange. Check out the replay:

http://www.origin-www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx?view=showReplay&JSON=%7B%22GUID%22%3A%22a021cac3-10c9-4328-882a-a80a008adc1e%22%2C%22Brand%22%3A%22%22%7D

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sun, Dec 17 2017 6:02 PM

Wrong link here is the correct one:

#7 Erin Hills by VR

152' is 50.7 yds and it may show feet due to the way replays are finalized and saved. At some point they have started showing the balls position after the shot, if you hover over the ball in the lower right of the replay window it shows green (as shown below).  This has been hapening for a bit and is nothing unusual.

As to the shot result, were you playing even lies? it looks like the ball is not being shown as an even lie shot in the replay. Makes me wonder if the shot result is based the uneven lie algorithem. Just a thought, as I have never hit one from that particular location, so I cant attest to other results.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:43 PM

VenusRising:
    I aimed about 5 yards left

Expecting a 2-4 wind to move the ball 5 yards on a 51 yard shot is faulty. I would expect the wind to move the ball 1 yard maximum and probably less. 

It looks like the game misidentified your lie, calling it fringe, or maybe it now shows feet because the lie shows as green. If the former, since you can putt from the fringe, WGT shows the distance in feet. There's no way to know, since, as mentioned, on replays the lie is shown as what it is after the shot. If the latter, it's just another replay glitch, probably caused when they fixed them after the recent destruction.

Odd, but not a rip-off.

VenusRising:
    dinged it

Yay! That's encouraging. 

:^)

• VenusRising
    459 Posts
    Mon, Dec 18 2017 4:25 PM

JimbeauC:
    Expecting a 2-4 wind to move the ball 5 yards on a 51 yard shot is faulty. I would expect the wind to move the ball 1 yard maximum and probably less. 

I never said I expected anything. Just said what I did. I could of been trying to miss the ding & sometimes the slope of the landing spot changes where the ball goes etc. :)

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:47 PM

VenusRising:

About 15 minutes ago I had an approach shot on hole 7 of Erin Hills, that was 51 Yards with 2-4 MPH wind. I aimed about 5 yards left & dinged it. The ball landed on the fringe way left of the hole. Should of been 3-5 feet from the pin. I saved the replay & noticed that the yardage now says 152 feet!! It should only show feet on the green. Very strange.

Hi

This is a great example of how pointless the new ding meter is. With chat/voice apps now I've often asked myself aloud what the hell my ball is doing over/under/in that, after everybody has heard the *ding*. Oddly enough, the answer always comes back "you ****in hit it there!" Not so odd, they're right.

Very strange. No. A dinged shot that went where you aimed it.

The issue of feet showing in the replays is nothing new, it's been going on, randomly I think, for a while and is nothing to do with the last ah.. hiccup. The shot itself, as you take it, shows correctly in yds.

VenusRising:

JimbeauC:

I never said I expected anything. Just said what I did. I could of been trying to miss the ding & sometimes the slope of the landing spot changes where the ball goes etc. :)

In my opinion Jim nailed it, that was almost a 51yd flop. It certainly sounded like you expected something 

VenusRising:

Should of been 3-5 feet from the pin.

I played the replay through frame by frame, tracking the balls shadow on the ground, and it looked to be way left on take off.  I then read "51 Yards with 2-4 MPH wind. I aimed about 5 yards left & dinged it." Ah.. mystery solved.

Seasons Greetings, happy hitting

Rich

RSS