Forums

Help › Forums

Apocky-clipse

Tue, Sep 26 2017 4:17 PM (27 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,677 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 9:43 AM

77Rachel:
    Assuming that there is an infinite amount of worlds in an infinite amount of space (which itself is debatable), there is a percentage that is inhabited.  Any percentage of infinity is infinity also.

It does not necessarily follow that "there is a percentage that is inhabited" simply because there is an infinite amount of worlds. Simply put: the N for that category could be 1. 

That there is a percentage that is inhabited is an unproven assumption. And as an aside, the fact that the 1 could be expressed as a percent of the total is not sufficient to make the claim that there is a percentage within all infinite worlds.

Again, it could simply be the case that 1 world produced inhabitation. Its existence cannot be used as necessarily demonstrating that it would happen in other (unknown) worlds, which would be subject to other (known and unknown) variables. 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 10:09 AM

Every time I try to think about infinity I manage to leave something out.

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 11:09 AM

Robert1893:

77Rachel:
    Assuming that there is an infinite amount of worlds in an infinite amount of space (which itself is debatable), there is a percentage that is inhabited.  Any percentage of infinity is infinity also.

It does not necessarily follow that "there is a percentage that is inhabited" simply because there is an infinite amount of worlds. Simply put: the N for that category could be 1. 

That there is a percentage that is inhabited is an unproven assumption. And as an aside, the fact that the 1 could be expressed as a percent of the total is not sufficient to make the claim that there is a percentage within all infinite worlds.

Again, it could simply be the case that 1 world produced inhabitation. Its existence cannot be used as necessarily demonstrating that it would happen in other (unknown) worlds, which would be subject to other (known and unknown) variables. 

Good point, and well done.  May I buy you a drink, kind sir?  I wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit....

There is a counterargument to your contention, however it is long, tedious, and disputable as well, so I shall simply leave it be for the moment.  Suffice it to say that our collective banter has made me smile.

It seems like a good time to wander over to the bar and wait, lost in my own ridiculous thoughts until you arrive to collect your drink.  How long will I wait?  Not infinity.  :)

Rach**

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 1:51 PM

77Rachel:
     I wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit....

What? Georgia Tech wasn't good enough for you????

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 2:09 PM

gonfission:

77Rachel:
     I wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit....

What? Georgia Tech wasn't good enough for you????

Awww,  Mr. Fission....

Robert is a champion, and champions are sexy. Thats just the way life works.  The top of the totem pole gets the girl.

LOL just kidding. You have always been worthy of a good brain-pick, Mr. Fission.

Hugs,

Rach**

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 2:14 PM

77Rachel:

How long will I wait?  Not infinity.  :)

Rach**

Rach, not to nitpick, but it seems you've conflated infinity and eternity...although I suppose one could wait for an infinite number of eternities...or as Groucho put it:  "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 3:46 PM

mkg335:

Every time I try to think about infinity I manage to leave something out.

+1

;o)

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 4:17 PM

mkg335:

77Rachel:

How long will I wait?  Not infinity.  :)

Rach**

Rach, not to nitpick, but it seems you've conflated infinity and eternity...although I suppose one could wait for an infinite number of eternities...or as Groucho put it:  "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Ooooh, another Champion!!  Must be my lucky day!!

As for your point, Mr. g335 Champion sir, I suppose you are correct.  I utilized a bit of poetic license as, given the earlier conversation, eternity just wouldn't have had the same effect. It also had the side effect of drawing the attention of yet another top-of-the-totem pole individual, and once again I am smiling.

Plus, I'm kind of a moron.  (** twirls hair with fingers, tilts head a bit, and pouts lips ever so slightly ***)

Rach**

RSS