Forums

Help › Forums

Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100+) : Does this set have some issues?!

Mon, Sep 25 2017 9:02 AM (47 replies)
  • Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2017 11:33 PM

Like any new club there is a learning curve. They fly higher so the wind effects them more but have to adjust spin and distance for that to dial in the distance. Nothing wrong with them you just have to learn them. I do miss my old irons though sometimes it is much easier to just go with what you know.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 2:00 AM

Lesthanpar:
    They fly higher so the wind effects them more but have to adjust spin and distance for that to dial in the distance.

You're absolutely right. But the thing is I don't know how to translate that in an equation. :-( Do I have to adjust variables of winds or those of (mapped) iron distance? I've got no clue... I still get so many WTF shots with them that I practically gave them up.

Lesthanpar:
    I do miss my old irons though

Which is...?

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 11:25 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

Lesthanpar:
    They fly higher so the wind effects them more but have to adjust spin and distance for that to dial in the distance.

You're absolutely right. But the thing is I don't know how to translate that in an equation. :-( Do I have to adjust variables of winds or those of (mapped) iron distance? I've got no clue... I still get so many WTF shots with them that I practically gave them up.

Lesthanpar:
    I do miss my old irons though

Which is...?

I was playing the Nike Vapor irons before. I have a rule to sell back my old set when I buy to force myself to learn the new clubs. So I sold them back and of course they are no longer available. I am changing my rule now lol. I bought the Callaway Steelhead XR L-97 irons last night.. I have played 2 rounds with them and love them. I have my old game back and they seem even better for me than the Nike Vapors. Again I do not think there is anything wrong with the Apex irons when you have a top player like ICONIAN playing them but they are different and hard to figure out. I just could not be consistent with them and do not want to have to think that much on every shot. They could be glitchy too with so many wtf shots I don't know but I know I am done with them for now.

Happy clicking,

Les

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 12:29 PM

Lesthanpar:
    I was playing the Nike Vapor irons before. I have a rule to sell back my old set when I buy to force myself to learn the new clubs. So I sold them back and of course they are no longer available. I am changing my rule now lol. I bought the Callaway Steelhead XR L-97 irons last night.. I have played 2 rounds with them and love them. I have my old game back and they seem even better for me than the Nike Vapors.

I see... I still have them both, use the same mapping and they work like a charm!

Lesthanpar:
    I just could not be consistent with them and do not want to have to think that much on every shot. They could be glitchy too with so many wtf shots I don't know but I know I am done with them for now.

LOL Welcome to the club! That's exactly what I'm talking about. I tried all types of balls with them, mapped over & over, but still wasn't able to find a formula that would guarantee a reasonable consistency. There must be a way to tame them, though... I'm sure!

Happy hitting, man.

Simon

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sat, Sep 23 2017 10:50 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

Hello fellow WGT players,

I recently switched my irons from NIKE Vapor Iron Set (L92) to Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100) and the result so far has been very disappointing. :-(  I had been so~ excited with high expectations before the purchase, but now... 

Despite the identical spec in comparison with Vapor, Apex is very inconsistent for distance control in particular. What I have found about the set is that it tends to go (much) shorter than Vapor especially under FBS. Then you might think the solution would be easy : "Just add some yardage accordingly", right? WRONG! With a slight extra yardage, it starts flying WAY over the flagstick like you wouldn't believe! Talking about a catch-22 situation!! Been playing short long, long short for the last 3-4 days... Now I'm frustrated and exhausted.

Is this iron set known for having such issues? Has anyone experienced the same like I did?

I took a peep into some of the top rankers' bag to see which irons they're using and no one uses the Apex, still sticking to either old NIKE Vapors (L92 or L100) or even lower-leveled Steelhead XR (L97)! There must be a reason why, I guess!

Any thoughts & opinions will be highly appreciated.

Simon

You've spoken about mapping irons and wedges throughout this post, which is essential, but it also helps to map irons and wedges to individual holes.

You will know that there are a few holes on various courses that don't play to calc.

Some you can disregard a 30ft drop in elevation altogether and still add spin yardage according to type of ball used. The 18th @ Congressional is one example. 205yrd approach down 30ft, neutral breeze with my Nike Vapours and lvl 48ball and I'll hit 210 to land 2-3 yrds past the hole and spin back to a yrd, if struck well. My previous set were the lvl 90 TaylorMades and I had to drop yardage on the same hole to account for elevation.

Most holes that don't play according to consistent math vary only 3-5 yards on approach, even with a wedge. The 8th @ Congressional is a good example of having to add three yards to what is generally a 54-60yrd approach. Whereas the 9th needs 2-3 yrds less than calc on an average 100 yard approach. 

I'm not sure why some holes don't play according to consistent math formula, but there are more than a few sprinkled throughout  WGT courses.

Mike

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Sun, Sep 24 2017 5:19 AM

Hey Mike,

Yes, I agree. I know and I'm very much aware of that.

Even after taking the characteristics of each individual hole into consideration, the iron set on the subject is still very much inconsistent.

As mentioned earlier though, probably there is nothing wrong with the irons, just that I haven't found the right way to dial it in.

The only thing holding me back is that I'm doing OK with NIKE Vapor Fly Iron Set (L92+) & Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L97+) as I know them inside out, and yet is it really worth investing another hours & hours of studying Callaway Apex Iron Set? That I don't know...

Maybe I'll eventually find the answers as I play them with time so no need to rush.

Hit it straight and long, Mike.

Simon

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sun, Sep 24 2017 11:41 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

Hey Mike,

Yes, I agree. I know and I'm totally aware of that.

Even after taking the characteristics of each individual hole into consideration, the iron set on the subject is still very much inconsistent.

As mentioned earlier though, probably there is nothing wrong with the irons, just that I haven't found the right way to dial it in.

The only thing holding me back is that I'm doing OK with NIKE Vapor Fly Iron Set (L92+) & Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L97+) as I know them inside out, and yet is it really worth investing another hours & hours of studying Callaway Apex Iron Set? That I don't know...

Maybe I'll eventually find the answers as I play them with time so no need to rush.

Hit it straight and long, Mike.

Simon

Hey Simon,

I rented the Callaway lvl 97 irons when I leveled up last and found them to play like my Vapors only with a slower meter so didn't bother purchasing them. I like my clubs synced regards meter speed because it aids shot consistency.

Thanks for the heads up on the Apex set. I'll rent them for free when I level up next just to experience what you have been describing about them.

I regret buying the new wedges, and the fw also just sits in the shed ;-)

Nice win with a 53 @ Merion btw. I'd be sticking with the irons you used in that game ;-p

Mike

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 9:02 AM

Miantiao:
    I rented the Callaway lvl 97 irons when I leveled up last and found them to play like my Vapors only with a slower meter so didn't bother purchasing them.

Hey Mike,

Good decision! Vapor and XR behave pretty much the same way and the only difference is the slower meter on XR. The only reason why I purchased XR along with Fusion driver & spoon is because the whole NIKE Vapor Fly series had been gone before I reached the level where I could buy them all. Yes, I like to synchronize meter speed, too and that's essential for me to play well.

Keep us posted after your trial with Apex later. I'd like to hear what you have to say about them.

Miantiao:
    Nice win with a 53 @ Merion btw. I'd be sticking with the irons you used in that game ;-p

Thanks, mate. :-) FYI I achieved it with Callaway XR irons though.

Cheers.

Simon

RSS