Forums

Help › Forums

Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100+) : Does this set have some issues?!

Mon, Sep 25 2017 9:02 AM (47 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Mon, Jul 24 2017 9:29 AM

@YJ I thought there was a thread about these clubs awhile back . The carry was off or some kind of bug when they were first released . Even though the were supposed to be the same as the Nikes with just a slower meter .

@ Simon try using the Tee shot data when mapping and then compare to the nikes . That should tell you the story . I`ve been eyeing them myself lately and thinking about getting them also . So yeah let us know what you come up with and how they perform compared to the old nikes .

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Mon, Jul 24 2017 9:57 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    I recently switched my irons from NIKE Vapor Iron Set (L92) to Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100)

The L92 Nikes were not Vapors but rather Fly pro. If you're looking for the corresponding Callaway set thats the L97 one. And even though they might show pretty much similar specs, they're subtly different.

Btw, dont have the WGT mobile app but other apps have the option to clear app cache in app settings, so might be worth a go instead of re-install

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Mon, Jul 24 2017 10:16 AM

lonniescott711:
    @ Simon try using the Tee shot data when mapping and then compare to the nikes . That should tell you the story . I`ve been eyeing them myself lately and thinking about getting them also . So yeah let us know what you come up with and how they perform compared to the old nikes .

Hi Lonnie,

I sure will but still struggling with them, hitting short long, long short like hell. :-(

Vaibhav5viv:

The L92 Nikes were not Vapors but rather Fly pro. If you're looking for the corresponding Callaway set thats the L97 one. And even though they might show pretty much similar specs, they're subtly different.

Hello Vaibhav,

You're right. I failed to cite the club precisely, but IMO everybody knew which club I was referring to. ;-) And that's why I added one more question : "Did the NIKE Vapor Iron Set L100 L95 use to have a similar tendancy (being considerably shorter FBS+HW and longer FBS+TW comparing to the NIKE Vapor Fly L97 L92)?"

Vaibhav5viv:

Btw, dont have the WGT mobile app but other apps have the option to clear app cache in app settings, so might be worth a go instead of re-install

Yes, tried all that. No effect whatsoever.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Jul 24 2017 10:30 AM

Simon,

I have both iron sets -- got the 97/92s before I could get the 100/95s. Don't use the lower set much since I got the Vapors but I'll play a couple rounds with them and let you know. Yes, the Vapors lose a lot of distance with full backspin into a headwind, but I rarely

SimonTheBeetle:

JUST ONE QUESTION :

Did the NIKE Vapor Iron Set L100 use to have a similar tendancy (being considerably shorter FBS+HW and longer FBS+TW comparing to the NIKE Vapors L92)?

Perhaps I should've asked it in present tense since many still use them...

use full backspin in that situation anyway.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Jul 24 2017 11:06 AM

Simon,

Just played a round at BPB front with the 97/92s. Never used full backspin but they reacted nicely to half back spin. Man, I'd forgotten how nice those irons are...shot a 29 including leaving a bird 2 inches short on #2 and three-putting for bogey on #7. Otherwise, all birds, 12 total putts and 100% GIR (and I don't get those stats often in the same round). 

Film at 11, but thanks for the thread. I think I'll give the Vapors a rest for a day or two and keep these in the bag.

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Mon, Jul 24 2017 11:40 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    "Did the NIKE Vapor Iron Set L100 L95 use to have a similar tendancy (being considerably shorter FBS+HW and longer FBS+TW comparing to the NIKE Vapor Fly L97 L92)?"

Haven't used both but yes the L100 one would probably have more loft. It wont make a huge difference though and would probably be most visible in short irons. I had the Rsi2 earlier and I play the Vapors same barring PW and 9i.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:18 AM

K7JBQ:

Simon,

Just played a round at BPB front with the 97/92s. Never used full backspin but they reacted nicely to half back spin. Man, I'd forgotten how nice those irons are...shot a 29 including leaving a bird 2 inches short on #2 and three-putting for bogey on #7. Otherwise, all birds, 12 total putts and 100% GIR (and I don't get those stats often in the same round). 

Film at 11, but thanks for the thread. I think I'll give the Vapors a rest for a day or two and keep these in the bag.

Hey Bill,

I hear ya! Seriously I'm considering to switch back to Vapor Fly Pro.

I'll give myself 2 or 3 more days of experimentation then I'll finalize my decision.

Simon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:35 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    I'll give myself 2 or 3 more days of experimentation then I'll finalize my decision.

Have you compared different balls with them? I use the cheapest Nike with my 100 Vapors simply because the Vapor carry closely matches the rated distance with it. Perhaps there's a particular combo that works here with those clubs too? Just a WAG.  

• NMackinnon2
    319 Posts
    Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:37 AM

Hi I also bought the new Apex irons and found the same thing ,they were awful especially distance control and by a fluke I found the answer like most players I used a Nike ball so a couple of days ago I ran out and decided to use up some of the many balls I had in my bag so I loaded up the callaways and hey presto the clubs are transformed they actually started going where I sent them the one drawback is they are not as good as the Nike but on the plus side they are much cheaper .So try it out you should see a great improvement hope this helps ,all the best  Neil.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:41 AM

Vaibhav5viv:
    Haven't used both but yes the L100 one would probably have more loft. It wont make a huge difference though and would probably be most visible in short irons. I had the Rsi2 earlier and I play the Vapors same barring PW and 9i.

Probably so. I also played both RSi2 & Vapor Fly and as far as I remember, the transition between these two wasn't that drastic. I still can't figure out what clicks Apex to come up 4-8 yards short to the pin. Could be the winds, spin, ding... I don't know. One thing I know for sure right now is it's very inconsistent and unreliable.

Let me play with the thing a bit longer. Cheers.

RSS