Forums

Help › Forums

Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100+) : Does this set have some issues?!

Mon, Sep 25 2017 9:02 AM (47 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:36 AM

Hi duffputt,

We don't know each other, but I've seen you on the leaderboards and in the forum so many times that I almost feel like you're one of my old friends here. LOL

As you described, with the Apex, I still get those WTF shots that vary about +/- 5 yds than intended so I started using Callaway Fusion Series & Steelhead XR Iron Set and I feel 100 times more comfortable with them as the distance control is much more reliable and stable, not to mention the slower meter.

I'll keep on trying both sets back & forth for a while anyhow.

Good hitting!

Simon

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:39 AM

phred952:

What +103 irons?

I think he meant the club on the subject, Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100+) and +100 for Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L97+).

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:47 AM

PSUTOM:
    if something works why mess with it.

Exactly!

And don't worry about WGT! Many will follow in my footstep driven by avarice to become a better player so their business is intact with suckers customers like me. LOL

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:25 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

phred952:

What +103 irons?

I think he meant the club on the subject, Callaway Apex Iron Set (L100+) and +100 for Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L97+).

Yep, sorry. Mixed them up. Thx for clarifying

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 1:18 PM

Update,

After two weeks of going back and forth, I've decided to give the Vapors a spot of honor in the garage and keep the level 97/92s in the bag. With the meter being the same as my woods, I'm just getting more consistent results from them.

Thanks again for starting the thread.

K7JBQ:

Simon,

Just played a round at BPB front with the 97/92s. Never used full backspin but they reacted nicely to half back spin. Man, I'd forgotten how nice those irons are...shot a 29 including leaving a bird 2 inches short on #2 and three-putting for bogey on #7. Otherwise, all birds, 12 total putts and 100% GIR (and I don't get those stats often in the same round). 

Film at 11, but thanks for the thread. I think I'll give the Vapors a rest for a day or two and keep these in the bag.

• BobApollo
    2,039 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 4:26 PM

I love the highest level  Callaway APEX irons with the slow meter Callaway ball.  

See something there that's the same...Callaway for both the iron set and the ball!!!

WGT players can come up with the oddest things to explain why their shots aren't turning out right.

Try leaning to the left on your PC chair when you want to draw a shot and leaning to the right for a fade.    hahahaha

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:52 PM

K7JBQ:

Update,

After two weeks of going back and forth, I've decided to give the Vapors a spot of honor in the garage and keep the level 97/92s in the bag. With the meter being the same as my woods, I'm just getting more consistent results from them.

Thanks again for starting the thread.

No problem, mate. And thank YOU for sharing valuable opinions with us.

Up to the beginning of this year, I was really rushing to reach the level to get NIKE Vapor series from the driver to the irons when the promotion was still alive before WGT got rid of them. Unfortunately, I only managed to get the irons and missed the driver & the spoon at the very last minute. :'-( If I got them all, probably I wouldn't even bother to go through all this hassle right now...

Well, I've got now at least Callaway Fusion series so gotta be happy with that, I guess.

Good hitting and all the best to you.

Simon

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:59 PM

BobApollo:
    Try leaning to the left on your PC chair when you want to draw a shot and leaning to the right for a fade.    hahahaha

Well, that's new! I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll come back to ya. ;-)

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:34 PM

I think most of us do that on putts. Never works, but it gives us something to do while the ball is giving the cup a kiss on the way by.

SimonTheBeetle:

BobApollo:

Well, that's new! I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll come back to ya. ;-)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Thu, Aug 10 2017 2:04 AM

K7JBQ:
    I think most of us do that on putts. Never works, but it gives us something to do while the ball is giving the cup a kiss on the way by.

I don't do it myself, but this is how I feel on the greens of WGT.

RSS