rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 13 2009 10:45 AM (20 replies)
  • brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 7:54 PM

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:00 PM

Claremoreblue, you don't need to do anything at all! You've signed up to the Ladders and that's all. No other steps are necessary.

All you need to do now is to get in touch (for example, via the Wall right here on WGT) with HBThree, our current leader both on Ladder 9 and Ladder 18. You 2 simply play a game and the loser of your game reports the loss over at the Ladder site. That's all. The Ladder site is used simply to record scores achieved here on the main WGT site; you don't need to make any special arrangements over on the other site.

A single loss for the current Ladder leader will immediately remove him from the top spot. And it will move you (if you win) halfway the distance between you and the loser. (So, you would enter Ladder 9 at around no. 54 if you manage to beat HBThree, because there are currently 108 ranked players on the Ladder.)

BTW I've no doubt you'd thrash me on the course. You're an elite WGT player, while I'm just a so-so player. But I do consider HBThree an elite player, so the outcome of a game between the 2 of you could be interesting.   

• luckylamp1
    5 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:04 PM

Not sure if this is the way to reply  but here goes. First thank you all for responding to my post and addressing our disconnect problem. One thing I want to clarify is we play as friends under the friends tab so I know no-one quit while we were playing. Haven't been in-game to try it all out again with people on my friends list to see if we can stay connected. Must be a real pain when you are in a paying tournament and this sort of thing happens. I found out tonight the servers are in New Jersey so could be an internet problem but we all play with fast broadband connections. Just thought they may be having some sort of problem with their servers or something and when they get too full they start booting players. I will check out the ladder site and see what that is all about but for now will stick close to here and learn the game first. Hope to see you out on the green someday when I can be a challenge for all you masters to play.  luckylamp1

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:16 PM

Servers in New Jersey should be no problem at all. I'm halfway across the world from New Jersey but rarely ever experience connection issues. (I do notice, though, that the load times for some players from, especially, Australia, Far East Asia, and Latin America sometimes seem slightly longer than for other multi-player participants. Tolerably longer, however; it's often only a split-second.)

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 9:31 PM

Alright, lets make sure I understand here! :) I don't have to play with someone in my group? I was going to play fuzzygazz last night, but we are in different groups according to him! I haven't found the group set yet! We just ask anyone in the ladder group to play?? Thanks for the help! :) FYI, i did sign up for both 9 and 18, and will learn how to do this soon.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 10:13 PM

Heyas Blue... for the regular ladder 9 and 18, you simply find someone else registered on the ladder and come play...  they have made it really easy over there to search for WGT players and what their current rank is...

I think Fuzzy was talking about league or guild games, they are not for everyone.  The standard generic everyday ladder is open to all who sign up.

Really simple and easy, mate.. just head over and bounce around their forums...  then find someone to play a round with... it's very intuitive over there,

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:58 AM

Claremoreblue:
    I don't have to play with someone in my group?

There are no groups in Ladder 9 and Ladder 18. Anyone plays anyone else on any Ladder. You can challenge anyone you want on either Ladder, and you can also be challenged by anyone. (There's currently no obligation to accept a challenge, though; it's a matter of honour for now.)

Claremoreblue:
    We just ask anyone in the ladder group to play??

Yup! You can just ask HBThree for a single game, topple him from the throne (or not!), and then forget about the Ladders, if you wish.    (You'd become unranked again after 25 days, but so what. You can always re-join a Ladder later on, starting from the bottom rung again.)

Claremoreblue:
    I was going to play fuzzygazz last night, but we are in different groups according to him!

Fuzzygazz must have confused Ladder 9 and Ladder 18 with tournaments that the site also offers. However, those tournaments are completely separate from Ladder 9 & Ladder 18 and you can ignore them. 

One such tournament is League Tables (monthly, played in groups of 6). Another tournament is It's a Knockout (bracket-style, every Sunday afternoon/evening). And yet another is Guilds 9 (foursome matchplays). None of these have anything to do with the basic Ladder 9 & Ladder 18.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 1:06 AM

Faterson:
    Yup! You can just ask HBThree for a single game, topple him from the throne (or not!), and then forget about the Ladders, if you wish.
    Ah Faterson... I believe your logic is faulty... if Blue Duck is unranked and he challenges HBThree, and wins, then he would only move half way from unranked to number 1.

Unless the top players have a different structure than the rest of us...

*Edit.. found it. 

WGT Ladder Rules:
    The winner of a match will move up the ladder half the distance between the players. The losing player moves down the ladder by only a tenth of the distance between the players.

An exception to the above rule is if the players are within 2 places of each other. In this case the players positions are simply swapped.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 1:20 AM

Everything is OK with what I said, Snaike. By "toppling him", I simply mean that Claremoreblue only needs to play a single Ladder game in which he (maybe!) defeats HBThree, thereby causing HBThree to lose his no. 1 spot. That's all I meant (topple, not replace HBThree or whoever the current Ladder leader might be).

(Of course it would be quite a different, and far more difficult, thing for Claremoreblue himself to advance to the no. 1, and I already said so in this forum, also in another thread.)

You know, the beauty of the Ladders is that any of the big guns – Tibbets, AvatarLee, Nivlac, Thunderbird et al – can just play a single Ladder game, but can dethrone the current Ladder 9 or Ladder 18 leader in that single game. If the current Ladder leader is brave enough, of course, to accept a challenge from the very best players on this site, and I'm sure he/she would be, no matter who the current Ladder leader might be. (And if such a game ever came to pass, I certainly would wish for WGT to enable the Spectator Mode!)   

• luckylamp1
    5 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 9:04 AM

I officially declare this thread as hijacked.

RSS