Forums

Help › Forums

Players get disconnected

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 13 2009 10:45 AM (20 replies)
  • luckylamp1
    5 Posts
    Fri, Sep 11 2009 5:48 PM

Was playing against my Dad 18 holes on Beth Page and we were on the back nine I think 11th hole and we were playing a neck and neck game and all of a sudden my Dad got disconnected and that's what it said on my screen. We also have been playing in some three player matches and never had made it all the way through without having someone get disconnected. I have optimized my system according to your forum instructions and not sure about the other players if they have or not. I have Win XP SP3 32bit with Internet Explorer 8 pop up blocker disabled and cookies enabled etc. latest flash player flushed the caches and all that. Is this a bug in the game or what can be done if someone gets disconnected and save the game? Also this is a noob question but can someone join a game in progress? Thanks for any help you all can give us. We are new to the game and we like it but are just having terrible trouble with this disconnect problem.  Thanks, luckylamp1

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:55 AM

luckylamp1:
    all of a sudden my Dad got disconnected and that's what it said on my screen.

Those kinds of things do happen sometimes. His Internet connection may have become disrupted for a moment... whatever!  

luckylamp1:
    We also have been playing in some three player matches and never had made it all the way through without having someone get disconnected.

That's a whole different affair. The random multi-player portion of this site is dominated by quitters. It's extremely rare for a random multi-player game to be completed as launched; many players just quit without bothering to say good-bye.

If you want some quality multi-player competition, join the Ladder site where quitting isn't tolerated & every quitting is reported & penalized.

luckylamp1:
    what can be done if someone gets disconnected and save the game?

Your game status is saved even if you get disconnected forcibly. So, both you & your Dad could have completed the game on your own individually & then compare the resulting scorecards via private messages, for example. Of course, that takes the fun out of it; but it could theoretically be done, if it's an extremely important game that got disrupted, and if both players agree with the procedure.

luckylamp1:
    can someone join a game in progress?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but it currently can't be done anyway. The only thing you can do is to finish your disrupted round individually.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 12:55 PM

Heyas Lucky.. what Faterson said was correct. I wish to echo one thing, though.

Snaike's Profile:

WGT Ladder --- We're waiting for you!

02 Jun 2009 at 2:41 PM

Are you tired of pick-up rounds with quitters? The ladders at www.wgt.agls.org.uk  add to the fun of the game and keeps us all on our toes. Just friendly competition while playing. A tournament board & games arcade have also been added. Come see what it is about.!! Sign up, invite us as friends and let's play some golf!!

Perhaps you and your dad would want to come over and play for the ladders.. there are leagues, groups, 9 hole ladders, 18 hole ladders, etc etc.. as a matter of fact, iirc, two of the top 5 players right now are a father and son. They keep battling it out for the top of the heap.

Great fun. Hope to see many many people there. As Faterson says... "where quitting isn't tolerated"..

**Edit... wow, finally fixed. Sorry about the restructering.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 2:53 PM

The current no. 1 & no. 2 on the Ladder 9 (for quite a few days now) are father & son. I challenged the father for a game once, and got demolished utterly.

Where's Claremoreblue when we need it (The Blue Duck)? I thought he said he'd beat the top Ladder players handily? You know, the current leaders only need to lose one game to plummet from their current top spots, so I'm surprised no one has managed to topple them yet.  

Edit: It looks like Snaike once more succeeded in disrupting the layout of this page; a bullet gets inserted into my reply & the right-hand panel appears on the left. The grey background is gone, too.

2nd Edit: Taking a look at the internal HTML code via the HTML button might be instructive. I've noticed the forum pages sometimes go wild if you copy&paste stuff into them. Another way to confirm that it's your post that disrupted the design is to delete everything from your post (temporarily, of course, making a backup of the text elsewhere) and re-submit. If the page design reverts back to normal, there's something in your post that's disrupting it. I've already performed the test with this post of mine, and the page is still disrupted even if I only submit a single word in this post.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 3:54 PM

Does anyone else have cold feet?

It looks like hell hath frozen over...............Faterson and Snaike have agreed on at least three posts.

LOL

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 3:57 PM

But at the expense of destruction of this forum's design & excessive bullets to introduce each of our posts.  

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 5:44 PM

Thats a bummer luckylamp1

But it hasnt happen to me before!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 5:47 PM

All better.. and no, SoulCatcher.. we aren't agreeing on anything... we are just reaching the same conclusions from different vantage points... we will never agree on anything.. trust me..

muahahahahhaaha!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 7:16 PM

Snaike:
    we will never agree on anything.. trust me..

We will! There's no doubt about it.

PS: Congrats on the page fix, and to Edchavez on being on-topic.  

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 7:39 PM

Where's Claremoreblue when we need it (The Blue Duck)? I thought he said he'd beat the top Ladder players handily? You know, the current leaders only need to lose one game to plummet from their current top spots, so I'm surprised no one has managed to topple them yet.  

With all due respect Faterson, I am signed up, but haven't played a match yet! Once I go over the site, and figure out what it takes to play, I will begin my quest for the top spot!! :)) Which tab takes you to the player group you are in, Help me there please?

Also Faterson, at this point in time I do have the Ryder Cup Matches coming up. I do take that seriously, and have to be prepared for the biggest event of the year. Once we are done, you won't have to look far to find me I assure you! Then and only then will the ladder begin to fall. If sir you would like, we may play a personal match between us and report the results here! Let me know. I can back up my talk, can you!! :))

RSS