Mon, Jun 19 2017 2:46 PM

Sigh.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:12 AM

MichaelStroke:

Robert1893:

MichaelStroke:

The OP should request some free grammar lessons for Father's Day instead.  Maybe then, he would know the difference between your and you're, and that not every word ending in S requires an apostrophe.

If he's a dad, I shudder to imagine how poorly educated his children are.

That's uncalled for.

That's especially so because the mistyping of some words could simply be the result of muscle memory rather than not knowing the difference between or among the words. In other words, a person is thinking one word but then types another word. Additionally, there are other reasons for making typing mistakes that are not a reflection of one's level of intelligence. Here's a good blog post on that phenomenon:

http://tinyurl.com/yb2h9upy

Regardless, it's a discussion board. I think the rules of grammar and spelling should not be a focus. And even if they are, to bring a person's children into the conversation is bad form (and that's being charitable).

There's a difference between a "typo" and simply not having the proper knowledge.

Also, I find it very called for.  Ignore the fact that his post was simple whining, akin to something today's millennials would write.  If you want to be taken seriously in a text-based forum, then you should be able to come across as reasonably intelligent and well-spoken (not necessarily perfect grammar, but something MUCH better than what he wrote).

Hi Michael

I agree with your first point 100%. On one occasion during an alt. shot game I congratulated somebody on a very nice sh it. 

However, it's easy to assume that everybody here has english as a first language. I left England nearly twenty years ago, I live in Germany now. I've learnt the language and speak it fluently but the grammer is another matter. If I had been taught it as a child, in school or at home, then things would be different. I don't need it everyday, luckily, my work doesn't involve a lot of writing. If however, I tried to write this in German then it would be full of grammatical errors. Allosso, Ostfriedel and the like would maybe think it had been written by somebody "not to be taken seriously".

That's all before I mention our two great nations, divided by a common language.

So, to the day in question. Without an apostrophe. 

The argument for this is that the fathers do not own the day itself. The day is a day for fathers not a day belonging to fathers, and, since no possession is involved, there is no need for an apostrophe. I would argue that apostrophes are not necessary when “for” is implied and not “belonging to”.

There is also an argument for an apostrophe after the s, that is that there are many fathers in the world and this is all of their day. Therefore, the plural possessive is necessary.

However, we seem to have settled with the capitalized spelling, apostrophe before the s. Father’s Day is an officially recognized holiday and, in the United States at least, the official spelling of the holiday (I may be wrong) is in fact “Father’s Day”.

Secondly, the argument for the variant “Fathers Day” is not particularly compelling when you keep in mind that the day to which the possession is referring is the holiday. It is correct that fathers do not own the third Sunday in June, but they do own the holiday Father’s Day that happens to fall on that day. And if fathers do not own it, who does? Mothers certainly don’t.

Further, Father’s Day is meant to honor fathers as individuals as they relate to a specific family. It was not meant to be a day honoring all fathers of the world or to honor fathers as a collective group. The Oxford English Dictionary notes that Father’s Day is “A day for recognition of the respect and gratitude felt by children toward their fathers”.

Now who the hell is going to fight through that lot just to make a point, or ask a question in a forum dealing with a game? 

I will happily provide a list of my qualifications in both the English language and its' literature to anybody interested, and yes, some of the language and grammer on display here at times is appalling I agree. What are we here for though, golf or grammer policing? I could have played nine holes while writing this.

Cheers!

Rich

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:30 AM

whooshdangit:

Hi Michael

I agree with your first point 100%. On one occasion during an alt. shot game I congratulated somebody on a very nice sh it. 

However, it's easy to assume that everybody here has english as a first language. I left England nearly twenty years ago, I live in Germany now. I've learnt the language and speak it fluently but the grammer is another matter. If I had been taught it as a child, in school or at home, then things would be different. I don't need it everyday, luckily, my work doesn't involve a lot of writing. If however, I tried to write this in German then it would be full of grammatical errors. Allosso, Ostfriedel and the like would maybe think it had been written by somebody "not to be taken seriously".

That's all before I mention our two great nations, divided by a common language.

So, to the day in question. Without an apostrophe. 

The argument for this is that the fathers do not own the day itself. The day is a day for fathers not a day belonging to fathers, and, since no possession is involved, there is no need for an apostrophe. I would argue that apostrophes are not necessary when “for” is implied and not “belonging to”.

There is also an argument for an apostrophe after the s, that is that there are many fathers in the world and this is all of their day. Therefore, the plural possessive is necessary.

However, we seem to have settled with the capitalized spelling, apostrophe before the s. Father’s Day is an officially recognized holiday and, in the United States at least, the official spelling of the holiday (I may be wrong) is in fact “Father’s Day”.

Secondly, the argument for the variant “Fathers Day” is not particularly compelling when you keep in mind that the day to which the possession is referring is the holiday. It is correct that fathers do not own the third Sunday in June, but they do own the holiday Father’s Day that happens to fall on that day. And if fathers do not own it, who does? Mothers certainly don’t.

Further, Father’s Day is meant to honor fathers as individuals as they relate to a specific family. It was not meant to be a day honoring all fathers of the world or to honor fathers as a collective group. The Oxford English Dictionary notes that Father’s Day is “A day for recognition of the respect and gratitude felt by children toward their fathers”.

Now who the hell is going to fight through that lot just to make a point, or ask a question in a forum dealing with a game? 

I will happily provide a list of my qualifications in both the English language and its' literature to anybody interested, and yes, some of the language and grammer on display here at times is appalling I agree. What are we here for though, golf or grammer policing? I could have played nine holes while writing this.

Cheers!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Quick edit your post before Phil spots it, You know what he's like, He prefers the Queens English & not the American spelling of words, We know he likes his little birds (hates pigeons) but he'll have a canary! if he spots your "Americanisms" as he calls them

No need to thank me, Ken

PS so thats why you weren't available to play last night, I see what you mean when you said you were busy ;)

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:51 AM

Kenher01:

Quick edit your post before Phil spots it, You know what he's like, He prefers the Queens English & not the American spelling of words, We know he likes his little birds (hates pigeons) but he'll have a canary! if he spots your "Americanisms" as he calls them

No need to thank me, Ken

PS so thats why you weren't available to play last night, I see what you mean when you said you were busy ;)

Well spotted Ken, there's a few more hidden in there for Phil. Enough to bring some color to his cheeks anyway.

Had to rush out last night, bank for folding (no fags) then nosh. Wrote that lot this mornin'. Some proper Queens English there, should bumfuzzle a few.

I won't thank you buddy, back to the free balls, you might find some in your bag. Or should that be b.ollocks?

: D Rich

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:51 AM

bubbsboy:

bobjackson1955:

i can't believe you cheap basturd's wont give us dad's a free ball. your going to lose customer's this way.

Im not sure WGT have evidence of who is a Dad out of the male members they have.

Everyone with a female avatar and a profile pic that's showing boobs and wearing a thong? 

Julia?

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 1:05 AM

Robert1893:
    That's uncalled for.

That's especially so because the mistyping of some words could simply be the result of muscle memory rather than not knowing the difference between or among the words. In other words, a person is thinking one word but then types another word. Additionally, there are other reasons for making typing mistakes that are not a reflection of one's level of intelligence. Here's a good blog post on that phenomenon:

http://tinyurl.com/yb2h9upy

Regardless, it's a discussion board. I think the rules of grammar and spelling should not be a focus. And even if they are, to bring a person's children into the conversation is bad form (and that's being charitable).

Eye argree wit yu. Sum tiems people can bee knot nice.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:38 PM

@TyMacni

Word.

RSS