Forums

Help › Forums

Curious about hole #1 @ St Adrews

Fri, Jun 30 2017 6:54 AM (25 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 6:43 AM

Yes indeed I agree, but I was talking mostly about all other clubs other than wedges. Especially the longer irons and woods. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 6:49 AM

@Luckystar5

Gotcha. You and I are definitely on the same page then.

• Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 10:52 AM

Nice input here folks. 

Here we go. I am 99.9% sure I was on the punch shot with my 50 yd punch. WalkOfLife your chart is interesting and I will check it out closer. Thanks much. Your chart shows that a 50% punch shot goes 18 yds. I hit it 51 % and it went about 3 yds. I hit the ding perfect.

I'm going to as time allows go to practice mode and try and recreate the shot to see what happened.

I totally agree that coarse management is the direction to lower scores. but I was in trying different approach shots to the green for the learning curve of having other options for a shot. Almost always I do a flop shot at that yardage but was trying new ideas.(this one didn't work lol)

Now heres another one today that happened very similar on St Andrews #1. &5 yds to pinn. Elevation one foot, wind at back at about 2 oclock, add 3 % for my full backspin and figured yds at 77.75. Hit the 94 Strength punch at 83% and the crazy ball went into the creek. 

I just can't figure it out. I will try this again also.

Thoughts??? Yes I was on the 94 yd punch. Maybe the 90% theory is somewhat corret but I have used the same shot on other coarses with much different resuls.

thanks Dad

• Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 1:00 PM

Well I replayed the same shot as my first 3 yard shot and it barely got over the creek but in fact made it acrosss. so I'm guessing I must have done something wrong on first shot.All % were exact with perfect ding.

So I tried with the 50 yd chart posted on this thread and at 51% it went about 4 yards past the hole. Very interesting to say the least.

But I also went and replayed mt shot from 75 yds to pin with a 20-22 back wind at about 2 o'clock. Same results as before with 94 yd punch shot at 83% and perfect ding. Hit in the creek. 

Then I went and purchased some new practice balls lol. Guess i need some practice with these punch shots.

Any thoughts appreciated

Dad

PS: do our posts not go in at time of posting? I show 642 posts but I keep getting the message about first posts must be ok'd by moderator. Thanks

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Jun 17 2017 2:46 AM

Dad2147:
    do our posts not go in at time of posting? I show 642 posts but I keep getting the message about first posts must be ok'd by moderator. Thanks

Post on WGTIcon's wall and ask to be removed from moderation. He'll sort it.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Jun 17 2017 3:07 AM

Dad2147:
    Any thoughts appreciated

I don't have your wedges.  I would say go to Kiawah #1 low cross wind and hit a few, and that will be your average for that discreet club and ball combo.  Low level wedges will have a larger spray that HL one's.

That in mind and it's guessing without knowing the ball and having the wedge to test it with:

From the range you are talking though remember there is push down affect by the wind.  I think you are dicing with the wrong shot.  A full shot from that range in that wind would be my choice.

Also play safe with the level of wedge you have, and especially if you have just swapped balls (different attributes will affect outcomes).

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Jun 17 2017 3:08 AM

Dad2147:
    Guess i need some practice with these punch shots.

Some thoughts:

Your wedges are of different quality - L27 and L51. The former may be by far weaker in those shots which include shot type variation (punch etc) and reduced power. The better the club, the lower can we go in power, but they all react non-linear, so 80% power may be 40-60% distance, and 50% power may be desastrous.

Your L47 ball should be fine, though perfect shots only come with high level clubs AND high level balls (L70+). You might think about replacing the L27 Cleveland wedge by a better one, e.g. L70+ Cleve or ATV which may fit better with the performance of your L51 MAX.

Furthermore, you might go out on BPB back nine and practice: Partial power & shot variations with the different clubs. Look at the trajectories, rolls and distances, on FW and to the green. Try all types to see what goes and what doesn't.

Also, keep in mind that the clubs and shot types offered by the "caddie" are only chosen by distance - from 30 yds out, it may be a pitch which doesn't fly the burn. This is a nuisance but can be solved by routine.

Have fun!

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Jun 17 2017 4:48 AM

Don't know if the wall along the burn could affect a shot. I was once given a free drop when I landed close to the edge.

• Dougie4042
    4,399 Posts
    Sun, Jun 18 2017 5:00 PM

YankeeJim:

Luckystar5:
    Try hitting your driver, or even 3 wood, driver at around 90%.

Punch the driver. Always gets a full wedge in any wind.  :-)

Indeed.

• Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Wed, Jun 28 2017 9:20 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at starting to upgrade my wedges. 

Have fun!

Dad

RSS