Forums

Help › Forums

Curious about hole #1 @ St Adrews

Fri, Jun 30 2017 6:54 AM (25 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 9:29 AM

Dad2147:

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at starting to upgrade my wedges. 

Have fun!

Dad

The balls you are using won't work as that chart states, if I remember correctly, it's designed for 2.5 spin balls. Yours are zero.

That first shot of yours using the 50 punch.  64% full back spin, should have put you right on the hole, with the correct balls.

• AMorrison74
    2,076 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 9:58 AM

Dad2147:

Had 25 yds to the hole. I tried a punch shot with the 50 yd punch club and hit it at 51% to reach the hole. I hit the ding perfect and the ball went 2-3 yds directly into the creek. 

For this shot, with the wedges I use I will always play this as a full shot using my 60 yd wedge.  On this hole I apply full backspin and add 7.5 - 8 yds on to the distance from the pin so I would play it around 32-33 yd power, full backspin.  Almost always get within a foot or 2 of the pin.

I am not sure if the calculations I use will be the same for your wedges, so I would say to try a practice hole with no water and experiment on how much works for you.

Hope this helps.

• Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 6:54 AM

Thanks much. I usually use a much better balls but practice some shots with the cheap ones. 

Anyone out there using the Mack Daddy wedges? I'm looking at them over the Max or Clevelands. Any thought appreciated .

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 1:22 PM

Damn, you ask 20 WGT golfers how to play a shot and you get 20 different answers.  Sometimes 21  : ))

Whether you play a full shot, punch, flop or whatever the important thjng to remember is that the meter is not linear.  A shot played with 50% power will not go 50% distance.

The other ting to bear in mind is that what works for one player may not be your way of doing it.  Personally I use punch for shots between about 10 and 40 yards and pitch for most under that.  I have however recently discovered the benefits of the flop shot and am getting to know that better.

Whatever shot you go with, learn it well so that when you're faced with a particular distance you won't be left guessing how hard to hit it.  You need to know how hard.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 1:38 PM

MainzMan:
    Whatever shot you go with, learn it well

All 5 of them.  :-)

• Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 9:31 PM

I wasn't guessing about the shot. I was just curious as to why the shot acted as it did. I had plenty power to land it where I needed it but it went a very short distance and went in the creek. It should have at least cleared the creek. 

Thanks for all the input. Yes I know there are many shots to achieve my goal but this punch shot was part of my learning a new shot. It just didn't perform as it should. 

Thanks Dad

RSS