Help › Forums

BethPage Black : sub-par quest

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 14 2009 12:22 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TwoSteps
    5 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:01 AM

WellI I finally upgraded to Tour Starters, and a friend then challenged me to shoot under-par at BethPage. It's taking a while.

But my game is so much better now. Last night I got a great start, birdies at 1 and 3, and although I gave back my usual at the 7th, I hit the stick at 8 to make birdie and reach -2 at the turn. A sad bogey followed at 10, but then facing a tough par putt on 11, I hit a golden spot. Made that par there, and then got back-to-back birdies on 13 and 14.

So I was standing on the 15th tee at -3. Three under with 4 holes to play. Couldn't believe it ! Three under !!!

Told myself that I'd take a bogey at 15. Found the sand with my 2nd, but that's not unusual here. Then I just messed up. I was so focused on not under-hitting my pitch from the bunker, that I over-hit, and got me a ski-slope 25 footer. Sent that 10 yds past the hole, and 2 putted from there. No! Double-bogey. -1.

Parred 16.

17 - head wind, and at the last second I pulled a touch back on the power, and caught the lip of the front bunker. II then fluffed the sandshot, only making the fringe. Took 2 more from there, to bogey 17. Back to Level.

18 - gave myself a long birdie putt, but didn't make it. Level Par round.

3 under with 4 to play, and blew it :-(

Gonna get there. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Boring read I know but it might bring me some luck.

Michelle x

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:32 AM

Wasn't boring & it reminds us of our own misfortunes on the last 4 holes of that course, of which there have been many. I think hole 17 should really be easier, overall, than it is in this game, but we're currently only given that 1 difficult pin placement on that green.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:56 AM

With the self motivation you have, it won't be long!! I still to this day dread 15, and I usually par it, but when I see the fairway from the tee, I know exactly where on the course I am!! One tip you might try, I always pitch to the left of the flag, and always add 4 yrds to the pitch! usually that will get you close. Goodluck!! :)

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 11:06 AM

Not boring. I read the whole post. Like it. Great determination. This is what makes great players. You'll make it.Keep us posted.   Gazz

• danny66
    25 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 4:36 PM

Whoa, attitude...I love it Michelle...hang in there..you will be a master in no time..you go girl.

• TwoSteps
    5 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 8:56 AM

Thanks all, that's what I wanted to do, put this out there so I've got an incentive to get it done. Not had an eagle yet, ever, so I'm due one of those. But i reckon i can manage this without one. There just always seems to be one hole that I get wrong, too wrong.

7, 10 or 15 usually :-)

Another solid round just now, then 7ft putt on the 6th to go -2, miss it. Horrible putt. Miss similar par putts on 7 and 8, and back to 1 over. 3 inches from the hole on 8 and I take out my 7 iron and whack the ball back into the pond. Good night all, play well.

• TwoSteps
    5 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:23 AM

2 embarrassments this week. on the 11th tee, -1. Strike the ball beautifully - 34 yds, LOST BALL. Look at the replay, and I played the shot with what looked like a sand wedge. Must have nudged the mouse, pressed a key, or something, and got a different club se-se-selected.

Aother round, and on the par-5 13th, again at -1. Hit 3rd shot to 4.4 ft (yes, 1 yard). My downhill birdie putt is too hard, slingshots around the lip and back out to 4 ft. Then I lip the return for par and it too stays out. 3 putt from 4.4 feet for bogey lol. And that round was Even par. So there's a huge IF ONLY there.

keeping on, when i can,

Michelle

• rustynipples
    199 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 9:38 AM

TwoSteps:

Aother round, and on the par-5 13th, again at -1. Hit 3rd shot to 4.4 ft (yes, 1 yard). My downhill birdie putt is too hard, slingshots around the lip and back out to 4 ft. Then I lip the return for par and it too stays out. 3 putt from 4.4 feet for bogey lol. And that round was Even par. So there's a huge IF ONLY there.

Hate it when that happens. 3 putt from within 5 feet xD

Keep up the practice and you will get it

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 11:46 AM

Yeah  5'ers are killing me too  I have a 45% success rate from 1-5 ft according to my stats...good luck with your under par qwest

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2009 12:13 PM

Good luck Michelle... we're pulling for you!!!

Let us know when (not if) you get there!!! 

• PAGES
RSS