I really want to know

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 4 2017 5:22 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 2:01 PM

alcaucin:
    what does all that even mean..clear as mud !!
    Lol, I thought it was!!

If you're going to make your own excel sheet or make/use a wind calculator use the "Yardage * (1+Wind/180) or Yardage * (Wind/-260) for precise pre-mapping.  At 100y of wind they give you roughly +6y (106) or -4y (96).  

If you do math on the fly as you play use the other factors.  I.e., if you have a 22 mph tailwind from 150y out.  You have to do some math, yes (take a look at the factors above)!!??  22*..6 = approx 13.  So you hit a club that gets you 137y.  If that was a 22 mph headwind then you'd be looking at 22*.9 = approx 20y, or a 170y adjusted shot.

• Bubblesimba
    179 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 2:50 PM

alcaucin:
    what does all that even mean..clear as mud !!

lol, so true.

• System3
    47 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 1:22 PM

If thats the hole I am thinking about its very hard to get one close....

The other thing is wind speed. If you listen you can hear the wind gusts.

I assume when it says 12-18 MPH when you hear the gust its higher.

I also assume when a ball is hit low ( full F spin) the wind is lower like in real life.

And add a ton of other variables.

Remember also that in real life a great shot is the skill to get it very close AND a lot of luck........

LFOD !

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 5:07 PM

RickRR:
     I can only assume the calculation is a little off.

It's not about your calculations being off, they're never going to be exact. That's the nature of golf. What's important is that you learn how the club's carry plays for each situation you face. You don't get the exact same shot every time and your clubs aren't exact-you're playing to favorable areas that make the next shot or putt easier.

Picture what a successful shot arc looks like in your mind's eye. Picture how you want it to land and roll or stick and then think which club is best suited for doing what you want. You should have 2-3 different ways to execute particular yardages and when you have those options, each shot becomes a decision on which shot to use. You already know your carries, how do the variables affect what happens next? 

I'm a "feel" golfer like a lot of others are. I can't be bothered with charts and spreadsheets, et al. Simple math done in the head and then pick a club. I don't even think of whatever the caddie is offering, I already know what I want to do. I can get away playing that way simply because my clubs carry their rated distances with the ball I use. It lets you be a lazy golfer, like me, and play instinctively.   ;-)

• bigrayyy
    53 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 5:33 PM

100% agree   I was using the L94 platinum for a few months---figured more $$$ was better  DUHHH  they drove me nutz with the amount of spin   just went back to my old standard L81 nike and have been playing so much better

i still have 8 L94 RZNs...anybody wanna buy 'em cheap?  ;)   i'd give 'em away if wgt would let me

• boeling
    320 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 6:32 PM

i guess  always  :)

somegood somebad  but its ok :)

• RickRR
    119 Posts
    Mon, Apr 3 2017 8:55 AM

Thanks again,

I understand that not every shot will be the same and I can live with it and continue on.. What gets me is for a lack of a better word is manipulation. Last night playing an alt shot game, can't remember which hole just the info provided by WGT to take the shot. this is what I had 152 yards to hole, 2 ft up elevation, 16 mph headwind (right in my face) did calculation it said I needed to hit 158 yard. I said this is going to be short, but that's ok below hole was good. Took the shot and the ball traveled 159 and 1 yard roll. I used 1/2 BS. It was like the wind wasn't even there.

My playing buddies blame the Update WGT performed a day or so before..

Thanks again

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 5:22 AM

RickRR:
    My playing buddies blame the Update WGT performed a day or so before..

Beware of players that blame WGT for stuff like this. That's nonsense.

• PAGES
RSS