Pebble Beach #8

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 2 2017 7:52 PM (22 replies)
  • 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, Mar 27 2017 9:01 AM

BPeterson8256:
    I was hoping someone could help me understand the drive on #8
    Punch driver w/ full b/s.  Aim left side of fairway.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Mar 27 2017 9:07 PM

11BC2:

Punch driver w/ full b/s.  Aim left side of fairway.

This is why I read the forum. I love finding new ways to play shots that I had not thought of. I want to learn all the shots. 1st attempt worked great. Thank you!

• gatorman66
    307 Posts
    Tue, Mar 28 2017 6:47 AM

Try driver down left side with full TS at about 80-85% and do not play the wind.....works like a champ!!

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 10:01 AM

This is not a one-size fits all kind of hole. The optimum tee shot depends a great deal on the wind and what tee you're shooting from.

In any conditions, I just try to pick the club that will leave me 180 to 185 yards from the hole, then hit between a five to a seven iron on the approach, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 10:51 AM

K7JBQ:
    This is not a one-size fits all kind of hole. The optimum tee shot depends a great deal on the wind and what tee you're shooting from.

Exactly. At various times, depending on wind, I've played it with a driver, a 3-wood, or a 3-iron. They all left me with about the same approach, give or take, which is the point.

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 11:40 AM

I love the 8th hole at Pebble. Every time I play it I make sure to switch to the reverse cameras (especially on approach) and take in the magnificent views :)

And I agree with Robert as I've also hit all 3 of those clubs from the tee. Though most commonly I hit 3wd. 

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 12:14 PM

Robert1893:

K7JBQ:

Exactly. At various times, depending on wind, I've played it with a driver, a 3-wood, or a 3-iron. They all left me with about the same approach, give or take, which is the point.

Pretty much, although I keep the 3wd in the bag. With tailwind, a drilled 3i, else a driver down the left side of fairway.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 3:48 PM

Vaibhav5viv:
    Pretty much, although I keep the 3wd in the bag. With tailwind, a drilled 3i, else a driver down the left side of fairway.

There's something to be said about playing to the right. The approach from the left is generally better because you're landing straight uphill. Coming from the right your approach is going to land more on a side slope that feeds to the hole.

The default aim is a direct line to the pin. Given the right wind conditions, playing to the right side of the fairway-like where the default aims starts you- gives you a different look at getting close

• bob2putt
    1,243 Posts
    Sat, Apr 1 2017 4:32 PM

You are experiencing one of the great holes in golf, virtual or real,and the reason why it's so great is there is no set way to play it. Every time it just requires adjustment based on the conditions that day. The reason your tee shots skip and run is the elevation on the shot.  Any elevation diminishes the the backspin and increases the forward momentum and run out on your shot.  Just picture the second shot on Bethpage #2 and how it runs out for example. that's what makes this game so addictive, the constant adjustment to the conditions at that moment. If there was one set of reactions to every shot and no variations everyone would lose interest after a short while. Enjoy and experiment with different clubs to keep your mental arsenal sharp.  Bob

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2017 1:54 AM

I'm not sure who said it. I seem to think it was Tom Weiskopf though. He said Pebble Beach was the hardest course he played.Saying it was the only course he ever played that forced him to use all 14 clubs every round.

RSS