Help › Forums

Pebble Beach #8

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 2 2017 7:52 PM (22 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2017 7:25 AM

bob2putt:
    Just picture the second shot on Bethpage #2 and how it runs out for example.

Do you mean a different hole on Bethpage? I ask because I generally don't have a problem with the approach running out on the second hole. At least, I'm taking it that you mean the second hole of Bethpage. The approach is always a wedge, so with backspin, the ball holds the green fine. Well, that's my experience anyway.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2017 7:09 PM

Robert1893:

bob2putt:
    Just picture the second shot on Bethpage #2 and how it runs out for example.

Do you mean a different hole on Bethpage? I ask because I generally don't have a problem with the approach running out on the second hole. At least, I'm taking it that you mean the second hole of Bethpage. The approach is always a wedge, so with backspin, the ball holds the green fine. Well, that's my experience anyway.

It is the only hole in the game where you can hit a full Cleveland wedge will full B/S and not spin back way too far. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Apr 2 2017 7:52 PM

borntobesting:
    It is the only hole in the game where you can hit a full Cleveland wedge will full B/S and not spin back way too far. 

Well, the situation you describe has happened to me. The hole location was the front right location. I put some backspin (not even full), it hit a yard or two short of the hole, and spun back to just off the green.

So, I'm not sure what happened that time it happened to me. In any case, that one time has always made me a bit hesitant to use too much spin on that hole. But I'll defer to you on this because you have more experience than I do.

In fact, earlier today, I played the hole. I was a bit in-between clubs and ended up used my 60-degree wedge (distance rating = 80 yards) at 100%. I left spin at neutral position, and the ball spun back just a bit (2 or 3 feett), leaving me a 10-foot putt. I was fortunate to make the putt.

RSS