Help › Forums

Time Clock and Pressure

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 23 2017 9:45 AM (4 replies)
  • Davonzip
    14 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 2:34 AM

Greetings All.

I thought I would finally post something in the forums. (forgive lengthy post)

My name is Rick and I really enjoy the game (despite the quirks). I find it relaxing and challenging.  I can't complain about forking over a few dollars now and then either, I mean considering the hours and hours of entertainment you get out of it, it seems fair.

SO...

I know it's a small thing, but I was wondering how others are affected by the 'time clock' during regular stroke play.  Especially in regards to the pressure you feel, both real and imaginary, to 'hurry up and hit'  because others are waiting. Also, is there some etiquette involved?

My experience?   I almost always feel this pressure to 'hurry up and hit', even if there is a 90 second time clock. Now, I realize, part of this game is is having a limited amount of time to hit, so there will naturally be some pressure involved.  But, I am talking something else.

If the person who hosted the game sets the timer for 90 seconds, do I REALLY get to use the full amount for each shot?  Or is there some etiquette involved If the flow of the game by others playing is much quicker?  Some of the best and most enjoyable games I have had is when each player seriously considered each shot and took all the time allotted if necessary to get the best result.  Other times, I have been called out during a game for taking almost a up to a minute  for each shot.  

Anyways, you get the idea, I often feel like I could make more putts etc. and have a better score if I took just a little more time on each shot, but I wont do it, especially if I feel the game is moving faster than me.  Thoughts?

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 1:48 PM

Davonzip:
     If the person who hosted the game sets the timer for 90 seconds, do I REALLY get to use the full amount for each shot?
    Yes you do. Alas, your mates can rely on you to play as fast as possible (for you), and usually, players only need the full time for a few putts, rarely for other shots. If you need more, just explain it and be prepared that some guys might use it against you.

OTOH, MP games are meant for fun, for communication. Perfect shot preparation is good for solo games, like major tournaments!

My two Pfennig: Don't take the results too serious, and perhaps you can see these games as a training in gut instinct. Fire away, enjoy the lucky breaks and be the first to laugh when you missed it by miles!

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 4:49 AM

Pressure of any description is purely in the mind. Play the game whereby you are comfortable and pfennig anyone else. That will become your style. Yes, there are times when you're among friends (or in my case reprobates) and there might be the odd jibe but if they are friends, they will accept your pace and rhythm. Especially when you've saved your partner a few times from his/her wayward shots. 

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 8:56 AM

Howzit

OP, both Paul and Phil have given you excellent advice.

Friend request sent - knock me up for a stroke play game if ya want and we can go through some routines.

Cheers,

Peter

Oh and yeah, Phil has no friends - only reprobates who suffer his company :-)

As for Paul (Alosso) - his advice is golden - as are all his posts. I'm surprised that WGT haven't offered him a stipend for doing their job...oh wait...

:-)

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 9:45 AM

play

Davonzip:

If the person who hosted the game sets the timer for 90 seconds, do I REALLY get to use the full amount for each shot?  Or is there some etiquette involved If the flow of the game by others playing is much quicker?  Some of the best and most enjoyable games I have had is when each player seriously considered each shot and took all the time allotted if necessary to get the best result.  Other times, I have been called out during a game for taking almost a up to a minute  for each shot.  

play as quick as you can if you need 90 secs use them,

but IMO 90secs is far too long to work shots out

RSS