Forums

Help › Forums

Does the "TOUR CHAMPION" tier really exist???

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 26 2016 9:41 PM (25 replies)
  • SoCalJim23
    429 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 8:43 AM

I have my doubts about whether or not there really is a TOUR CHAMPION Tier.

Does anyone know one?

There is this one CHAMPION player here on WGT......he is YOBAN.  His WGT profile shows he has hit almost 24,000 ranked rounds!!!  And....he's at Level 137.  Why is HE not a "Tour Champion"?  One would THINK this WGT player with such an incredible profile & stats would qualify for Tour Champion tier status.  Compared to my approx. 3,000 ranked rounds and being Level 98...also a Champion Tier player.

Why is it.....that I tend to believe that WGT created the TOUR CHAMPION tier (that's not even real).....in an attempt to (move the goal posts)....an attempt to keep Champion Tier players from quitting WGT?  We ALL know, WGT is constantly searching for more and more ways to earn more income from all of us.

I'm definitely NOT nearly the best "Champion Tier" player here on WGT....but, I've just about reached the point where spending "time & money" is becoming a waste.

Good Luck to everyone who is trying to make it to Champion......but, I wouldn't count on going any higher, once you get there.  Just enjoy the "journey" and have fun.

Think I'll just give WGT golf a rest for a bit.

Jim

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 9:16 AM

In another thread concerning this topic WGT claimed that they were waiting for more players to reach Champion tier before opening up the Tour Champion tier . The reason is to allow for starting the monthly events RGs and other forms of compettive play . Most players feel that this is hog wash for an excuse and that its just a tail chaser ploy to make more money .

Since this tier is supposed to be by invite only that in itself says nothing but a rip off just like WGT Nation . You would think that all of the past Open champions and even the top 10 virtual tour winners should be able to make the cut but only time will tell .

I too will never reach that tier as I am only a casual player and have always been such .But there are those players who are worthy of the title and should be awarded this honor by WGT .

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 9:55 AM

lonniescott711:
    I too will never reach that tier as I am only a casual player and have always been such .But there are those players who are worthy of the title and should be awarded this honor by WGT

Same here.

But here's the interesting thing to me: the only posters (so far) I've seen complaining or taking shots that there really are no Tour Champions are individuals who probably wouldn't qualify or have earned the right to be at that tier. Sure, they're champions. But as we all know, there are "shortcuts" to making it to that tier. (By the way, I'm not referring to you.) 

In any case, individuals who have legitimate claims to be at the tier haven't really said anything. Or at least, I haven't read anything on these boards from those individuals. They just go out and play the game and don't worry about the tier level after their name. 

Just an observation.  

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 2:15 PM

Do people play this game merely to progress in tiers?. OK, so let's assume the TC tier becomes active...then what?. People reach it and then quit because they become bored?

I am a level 107 journeyman legend. I learned from playing other computer games that having goals is fine, until you meet them all...then what?

So, with this interactive game, I focussed on making it a social thing...I set alternate games and clown around with the group. That never gets old. No goals, nothing on the line... except to enjoy an hour of banter.

ct

• craigswan
    31,027 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 2:34 PM

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 2:47 PM

@ct

As always, you provide a great perspective. For me it's about setting goals, achieving them, and setting new ones.  

While I would like to make Champion tier at some point, I see that way down the road, if it happens at all. I'm hoping by the end of next year that I'll be at or close to Tour Legend. But that's going to take me most (if not all) of next year. It will only have meaning to me if I achieve it from the Legend tees. 

In the meantime, I try to set personal bests on all the courses. One of the goals I have is to shoot a sub 30 round for each front 9 and back 9 of every course (from my default tees). Let's just say I have a few of those to go (for example, Chambers Bay, Merion, Olympic). 

That's what keeps me going. But if I ever hit those goals, I'll set up others. That's the beauty of this game, there's enough there to keep one going. Down the road, I might even take the time to learn to play better on the PC. That would open up the social aspect for me.

• MARKDMK
    231 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 5:01 PM

The only way to get into Tour Champion tier you must be dead or work for wgt and then they have to invite you.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 5:23 PM

The special mark to make here in WGT land is not the score or the Title .

OPY

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 5:29 PM

MARKDMK:
    The only way to get into Tour Champion tier you must be dead or work for wgt and then they have to invite you.

So... someone who is both dead and works for WGT is golden! :-)  

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Nov 19 2016 5:36 PM

I don't even know how I made it to Legend. May have had something to do with the $2000.00 dollars I spent of my own money in 5 years. I have no expectations of going further.I will check in and possibly play a round or two.

RSS