Help › Forums

** Course Management ** and Club Selection

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:10 PM (40 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 3:13 PM

jeremygrogan:
    I will always wish that I could remove my 3, 4, and 5 Irons and run more wedges like I do in my physical set at home; I’ve dropped those Irons from my bag and run a 52, 56, 60, and 64; soon, I will be dropping my stock “PW” for a 48.

A driver and 4 wedges is all you need until you get to Legend. Then you look at 3Ws. If you need all those combinations to be successful here, something's wrong. I'm not sure you've been here before because your stats don't say restart. They're actually pretty poor for someone as in tune with the game of golf that you are.

If you really want to be a golfer, commit yourself to learning now what will help you later when it gets tough. Settle on 14 clubs and learn them inside and out. Know what they carry, know how they spin, know how they miss, know ALL the shots with them and then play the courses smart.

A HB says heroic recovery from a mess off the tee. Ditch that for a wedge you'd used 5 times as much and settle for getting back into play. Challenge yourself to master these courses with a driver and 4 wedges. That'll force you to know and use all the shots at your disposal, not to mention putting a premium on playing to your strengths, not swinging away and accepting whatever happens. Think and play this game the same way you do IRL.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 3:56 PM

• jeremygrogan
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 5:09 PM

Hi All,

I don't understand why some of you are having a problem with anything having to do with anything I have said or where my progress is.  If this is how the majority of people who play on WGT think, you are a real discouragement to a new aspiring players.  I really enjoy this game, and obviously, based on what you are all saying about my progress is that my stats are too good to be a new player, which is a real compliment to me because I am not a restart or whatever you guys are calling players in the category you are talking about.  

I would encourage you all to reconsider that maybe my quick progress and stats are possibly due to my approach working.

Either way, Forums are for everyone, and I would certainly want to promote a positive experience where every person, regardless of rank and time, are appreciated for contributing their experiences which may possibly help someone else.  Jealousy of quickly progressing player is sportsman like.

I am certainly disappointed with this forum experience and the mindset of people who are stuck in their way of thinking.  I was hoping to discuss how other's use club selection, not about my stats, level, or progress.  

If you haven't noticed, there is an option to adjust clubs before every round in a bracket.  This can be a great tool, and I don't understand what the fuss is about when I suggest that a worthless club for a course gets traded out for a better one.  

Anyway, I certainly hope that this small group discussion is not a reflection of the entire WGT community.  My scores have improved dramatically due to club selection and course management, if you disagree with my idea, then let it go and move on, let others try this for themselves rather than dismantling my approach and aiming accusations of creating new accounts.  There is a large world out there and not everyone is slow to start.  I play real golf, and I am a technical analyst by trade, so I started playing this game with an edge over any average new player due to my knowledge of the game of golf, and my high level of computer skills.

Best regards, and please give me a change peeps, seriously!

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 1:05 AM

lonniescott711:
    From day 1 which was Aug. 11 I see that you began renting clubs . Most players dont even know that there is a pro shop or how to rent clubs on day 1 .

Lol.. you do realize there's a big pop up to rent unlocked equipment every time you level up!

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 1:50 AM

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 7:20 AM

razza31:

lonniescott711:
    From day 1 which was Aug. 11 I see that you began renting clubs . Most players dont even know that there is a pro shop or how to rent clubs on day 1 .

Lol.. you do realize there's a big pop up to rent unlocked equipment every time you level up!

Out of a 7 paragraph statement all that you can focus on are 2 sentences . Go look at their activity and you may truly understand the reason for the statement . Then re-read my post and you may understand the rest .

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 10:53 AM

@ Jeremy we are not here to discourage you and sorry to burst your bubble but your stats are nothing to write home about . So dont pat yourself on the back too hard . At your tier and level the game is still pretty much a gimme and very easy to play . As you play more you will begin to see a difference in how it plays . You are still playing from the second easiest set of tees in the game so dont wow out just yet .

Trust me no one and I do mean no one here has any reason to be jealous of you . Every player who is responding to your post has spent more time between the bunkers water and weeds than you have in playing the game . They have more mental and documented notes that would blow your mind and pretty much know every inch of every course in the game . If you add it up you would see about 20 years combined in player experience as well .

There is no such thing as a worthless club unless you are comparing the starter clubs to purchased clubs . Otherwise every club has a use and purpose . As YJ stated once you learn how to use all of your clubs you dont have any need to break them down into varying sets . Also once you move back on the tees another time or two you will see how useless what you now think you know is .

You are not the only one with actual golf skills or knowledge who plays the game . In fact many of those who play also play or have played golf in real life . You dont have any more of an edge than any one else we all came into this game eyes wide open and yet still blind as a bat . Even though you have IT knowledge and skills it doesnt give you an edge when playing the game . You still have to learn how this game plays in every form and detail and that wont happen in a 30 day flash .

There are top players who have been playing for years and still figuring it out so dont think that you are there yet . So contrary to what you think your reasons of suspicion arent the reasons that are suspect . Your explainations arent doing to good either . Will you encounter this type of attitude from most of the players here ? Sure you will if they feel that there is a need for it . Just stick around read the threads and even go into the archives and you will see how they treat sandbaggers restarters and multi accounters .

Although I post my view I really could care less as this will be the only place our paths will cross . Whatever you do it will have no affect on my game how I play or score . But others wont feel this way . Take care have fun and never swing with your eyes closed .

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 11:30 AM

Jeremy, dont get down.  The main ones saying anything negative are champions  who have but in a great deal of time here and play very well.  Then an upstart  (You) comes in  and gives all these tips about playing certain clubs and having four wedges.

For sure there will be naysayers and rightly so.  When I first came in 2014 I wanted to know as much as I could.  So I gathered a lot of info from the forums and started to put it in to a website.  When I started to advertise Pinhunters Golf Tip Website in the forums I got a lot of naysayers to.

I still  get naysayers, and usually they come from players that are at Champion tier.  I understand that.  

You just need to understand that  these upper tier players know each hole like the back of their hand.  Think about it..playing the same courses that have only 1 or 2 pin positions for several years they will learn the contour of the green very well. and which shot to play for the wind conditions.  

I encourage you to build on the excel file you are working on and maybe one day soon you will have a spot on Pinhunters Golf Tip Website.

Gary

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 1:51 PM

very well said Gary...

you're off to a good start Jeremy, don't let anyone get you down.

Turfsand

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Sat, Sep 10 2016 3:26 PM

TopShelf2010:
    Right out of the gate, the player in question knew exactly what to purchase/rent... on Day 1.

He didnt. Lots of his first rentals were starter plus ones which isnt really the smartest thing to rent in isolation as its 1) not much of an upgrade. 2) messes up yardage gaps

lonniescott711:
    Out of a 7 paragraph statement all that you can focus on are 2 sentences .

Because that was the only thing you mentioned to support your claim of him being a restart(which happened to be on false premise). 

As for the OP,the 1st set up will work for most conditions. Could add the hybrid for a wedge if you want to attack par 5s on certain courses.

RSS