Help › Forums

** Course Management ** and Club Selection

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:10 PM (40 replies)
  • jeremygrogan
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 3:17 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am still pretty new to this game, but, since I started on August 12th (about a month ago) I have experienced a plethora of feelings while playing more than 66 full rounds of Golf; feelings such as: “Frustration” (playing the Olympic Club with heavy wind); “Glory” when sinking my first Hole-in-One; and “Confusion” while I watch the ball go far off target from the meter and my aim.  During all this excitement I have watched many YouTube videos and read many forum posts about everything from wind calculation to green speeds.  Some of the content was useful in helping me get a grip of the game, but ultimately, “Practice,” “Experience,” and “Perspective” have paid me the most.

I wanted to provide a blog post and forum discussion revolving around a certain shift I had to make in my mind; a complete shift in my approach to the game.  This is a similar approach I have recently taken with my real-world golf game, though, I could never afford to have the inventory of clubs I can have on WGT.

I want to present two fundamental aspects of my approach that have really cleaned up my scorecards. I am not going to be discussing anything at the super advanced level and cannot get you to land every approach shot within 1 foot of the green and nail 16 birdies and 2 eagles every round.  However, I can offer a different way of looking at putting and club selection.  This article will focus on Club selection, and I will produce my putting perspective in another post, at a later date.

CLUB SELECTION:

When I started I realized “FAST” that I would live in a world of frustration unless I had playable equipment.  I built my set one piece at a time, and just as I didn’t think I would have any use for a 3H, I was sold after landing a long approach (that didn’t roll off the green) while renting the “NIKE Vapor Fly 3H (L-49).” 

Here is my Current Inventory:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5° Driver (Fubuki shaft) (L18+)

3W: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Fairway Wood (L19+)

3H: NIKE Vapor Fly 3 Hybrid (L49+)

52: Cleveland 588 52° Wedge (L26+)

56: Cleveland 588 56° Wedge (L27+)

58: TaylorMade ATV 58° Wedge (L39+)

60: Cleveland 588 60° Wedge (L29+)

64: Cleveland 588 64° Wedge (L31+)

64: TaylorMade ATV 64° Wedge (L39+)

Irons: TaylorMade R11 Iron Set (Steel) (L32+)

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Manta Putter (L30+)

I want to propose a shift in thinking, however, that one’s set must always contain Driver, 3W, 3H, and 2 Wedges.  This thought had occurred to me when I purchased all four “Cleveland 588 Wedges,” and the “Taylor Made ATV 58 & 64” I wanted to run all off them.  I will always wish that I could remove my 3, 4, and 5 Irons and run more wedges like I do in my physical set at home; I’ve dropped those Irons from my bag and run a 52, 56, 60, and 64; soon, I will be dropping my stock “PW” for a 48.

As you can see, as far as WGT goes, I have more clubs than I can fit in one bag.  However, each club gets used in play.  As a Microsoft Excel nerd, I keep track of nearly everything and even run my own analytics, which is another topic for another day.  But, I will tell you that I keep track of performance for each course, and each tee position; I adjust the club selection list for "each course" (or more broadly "each condition") as I play.

I have outlined a few of my club sets, based on a few sample conditions that we have all certainly played.

Condition 1: (Standard bag for Kiawah, white tee)

Driver, CL-52, CL-56, CL-60, CL-64, Irons, Putter

As you can see, I have no 3W or 3H.  At my currently level and tee position, for this course, I find that I can use a 3I anytime I would need to use a 3W or 3H.  What I sacrifice are eagle opportunities on approachable par 5s for more precise options on short par 4 approaches.  The 3I in this case, lands most long-par-4’s and when it doesn’t, I play back from the green about 60 yards in order to set up an accurate wedge approach.  Also, my driver set at 85% will act as a 3W off the tee when driving shorter distance.  Consider playing this bag or similar, on Kiawah and get a feel of it for yourself; see if it sharpens your score.  This set is designed to reduce bogeys, rather than produce birdies; birdies will come as a result of consistent approaches and well executed putts.

Condition 2: (Standard bag for Brackets)

Driver, 3H, CL-52, ATV-58, CL-64, Irons, Putter

This is the bag I use when entering a bracket tournament since I won’t know which Tee I will be playing from and will need as much “Versatility” with driving distance and a “Wide-range” of wedge distances for approaches as possible.

As you can see, I have my 3H to cover for short drives and par-5 second/mid-stretch shots.  The ATV-58 is key here since I would really rather play a 56 and 60, but it fills the gap between the needed 52 and 64, which are both a must.

52 = 105 yds.

58 = 86 yds.

64 = 60 yds.

Condition 3: (Standard bag for “Best of Bandon par 3” and “Best of WGT par 3”)

3H, CL-52, ATV-58, CL-64, ATV 64, Irons, Putter

CL-52 = 105 yds.

ATV-58 = 86 yds.

CL-64 = 60 yds.

ATV 64 = 50 yds.

The two keys in this bag are the 3H and the ATV-64.  My 3H will land better than my 3W (I hate it when the ball lands and then rolls off the green) and there are not enough long distance holes to justify even having a driver in the bag.  Second key is my ATV 64.  It is so handy to have when playing BB par 3 with heavy wind.  Even the best players, I imagine, will miss the green due to heavy wind and I have found the ATV 64 to get me better positions from “edge rough,” or “along the edge of a bunker that is close to the pin,” and reduces the second disastrous stroke which sales far past the pin resulting in a likely bogey or worse.

Condition 4: (Standard bag for “Best of WGT par 5” and “courses with many long par 4’s”)

Driver, 3W, 3H, CL-52, CL-60, Irons, Putter

CL-52 = 105 yds.

CL-64 = 75 yds.

This bag looks pretty standard, but I have seen some bags use a (56 and 64) rather than the (52, and 60).  The real key to this bag is making sure to set up your third shot as close to 105 yds. Or 75 yds. As possible.  It won’t work very well to just get the ball down the tunnel as far as you can each time and then deal with your third shot whereever it lies; this is called “Course Management.”  I got 9 birdies, an eagle, and only 2 bogeys last time I played the course, just by executing course management.

Finally, I will conclude this post by emphasizing how extremely important it is to have a 52.  If you are not playing one, you need this in every bag (it is the only club I own that is literally in every bag).  It will land softer and more accurately than any PW or 9I I have rented at my current level (Level 50, as of 9/8/16). The GAP wedge was introduced due to PGA player demand (back in the 1980’s) because they desired a wedge that could be relied on to cover the distance “The GAP” between PW and SW at the time.

Thanks to everyone who stayed tuned to this post and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and discussion thread.

Best,

Jeremy Grogan

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 9:22 AM

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 10:08 AM

Yeah as T/S said its a bit overwhelming for one sitting . Will give some feed back after I refocus my eyes but I do find it interesting none the less .

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 10:30 AM

@ OP

Interesting approach.  I typically only change my clubs on CTTH ready go's (maybe I'll change this). Let us know how it comes along as you continue.  My suggestion for new and old players is to get the most precise mapping of all your clubs.  When in doubt ask more experienced players for their charts or mappings.  An intermediate goal to aim for is sand/scramble % over 60 and One Putts over 50.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:00 PM

lonniescott711:

Yeah as T/S said its a bit overwhelming for one sitting . Will give some feed back after I refocus my eyes but I do find it interesting none the less .

Now looking at all of this I find it interesting that it takes longer than a month to get to this point . I see that you like to complicate your game when there is no need too . You are pretty much still playing from the baby tees so its grip it and rip it golf for you . You dont need multiple setups to play at your level or any other level as well . All that you need to do is take the time to learn how to use your clubs . Good club knowledge shot selection ball placement and solid putting are the keys to good game play .

Looking at your profile your activity says that you are either a multi or a restart . From day 1 which was Aug. 11 I see that you began renting clubs . Most players dont even know that there is a pro shop or how to rent clubs on day 1 . You have been throwing mad money at the game since you started playing which all says that this game is not new to you .

Most multis or restarts dont know how to fly under the radar they always have to let their presence be made known .  Like most criminals they have to return to the scene of the crime . I see that you found a cc to hide in but thats kind of late now since you blew your cover here in the forums .

Me personally I dont care what you do as it will never have an impact on my game play as this is the only time our paths will cross . Now others wont feel this way about you so get ready for the storm . Dont take offence to what they say as you are the one who stirred up the hornets nest with your post .

You would have a long way to go in order to know what this game is really about . Hint it will take more than a month of playing to figure it out . In fact after 5 years now of playing Im still learning along the way . Your post for the most part is long winded and worthless banter that wont help new players at all . 

Between it and your activity I see a player who wastes their credits with meaningless upgrades as at your tier they will not last long nor benefit much either . So I dont know who you really are but I do know that you are not new to the game . Congrats on your bracket win even though it was only for 100 credits. You will have to win way more than that if you plan on making your rental fees back .

In the future when you restart your next account keep it to your self and stay out of the forums as much as possible . You cant show up here giving out advice after only being here for about a month . You can ask questions about things club upgrades types of balls how things work and so forth . But dont show up trying to answer questions that no one is asking . Its a dead give away every time . Just so you know .

• jeremygrogan
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:08 PM

Hi All, 

I can understand if the content feels a bit overwhelming, but ultimately I am passing along an idea that rather than having one set of clubs that is used on every course, consider that some courses (or "course conditions/situations") will not need certain clubs, or more specifically, certain clubs may be used so infrequently than you may benefit from removing them and using something that is more consistent and/or more frequently.

I find that I rarely need a driver on par 3 courses and frequently need a 64 in these courses during heavy wind conditions. The drawback is that on one, maybe two, holes, I wont be able to land the green because I don't have a driver, but because I tend to hit the edge rough around the green more often than I will need a driver or 3W off the tee, I am better off carrying the ATV 64, which helps me get closer to the pin on mis-hits that land just off the green or roll to the side.  

In my opinion, wedges are the highest priority considerations for my level of play.  Of course, all this goes out the window for players who are at the top and can score in the mid 50s and lower 60's with a standard set containing D, 3W, 3H and 2 wedges. At this point in my game, I am focusing on reducing bogeys rather than making birdies.  I believe that by setting up a consistent foundation and reducing bogeys, I will make my fewer birdies count for more.  If I have 6 birdies and 5 bogeys, I am the same as if I made par and 1 birdie. But if I can minimize my bogeys at the expense of a few birdies, I can hit just 0-1 bogeys, and 3-4  birdies and end up with -3 rather than E or -1.

Join the discussion,

Best regards, 

Jeremy Grogan,

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:10 PM

Could be that the player is just really into this game  and developed a real passion for it is all.

Gary 

• jeremygrogan
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:19 PM

Hi lonniescott711 , Im sorry to hear that you feel that way you do about my post, but I am a new player.  I am really enjoying this game almost as much as I enjoy real golf.  

My post is for anyone who may gain some value or perspective from my experience at my current level, possibly other players who are experiencing similar frustrations I have. I am not claiming to have the game figured out.  I simply have a strategy that works for me at my current level which will surely change over the next few months and years.

If you don;t agree with my approach, that is totally fine because we should all do what works best for our own game.  

Best regards and I wish you the best in your games.

Best regards, 

Jeremy Grogan,

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:19 PM

the guy seems ok to me. younger people really have a way with gaming as they grew up on fairly sophisticated systems. not like the atari that i remember    lol

Turfsand

• jeremygrogan
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:24 PM

Thank you Gary for the encouragement.

Jeremy Grogan

RSS