Forums

Help › Forums

Do you have a 'favorite club' in your bag?

Sun, Mar 20 2011 2:50 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RoadWarrior28
    29 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 9:46 AM

If so, think about using it to your maximum advantage.

For example: you put a nice drive in the fairway on a par 5; even though this one can't be reached in 2, we all seem to be conditioned to grab the 3W for our second shot and slam it for all we're worth to get as close to the green as possible. This may often lead to a delicate chip or partial swing for the approach.

If you have a wedge in your bag that you're very confident with, one you ding nearly every time, consider a club for your second shot that will leave you close to the yardage that your favorite club reaches. You may like the results.

510 yard par 5; 250 yard drive leaves 260 to the pin. Maybe pull out your starter 4 iron for a 170 yard shot, leaving 90 to the pin. Now nail your go-to club, the starter PW for 90 yards and enjoy a 2 foot putt for birdie.

The same basic principle applies to par 4's. Do you prefer a partial swing LW or a full swing PW.

Disclaimer; above advice comes from a guy whose average has gone down the toilet since attaining Master tier.

Just sayin'

Cheers!

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 9:53 AM

RoadWarrior28:

Whose average has gone down the toilet since attaining Master tier.

We have something in common. My favourite club is my 200-yard 3H. I absolutely LOVE long approaches with that baby!

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:05 AM

My Daytona, but my new R11 3 wood comes close.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:24 PM

All day, every day the Satin 64w.  :-)

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:43 PM

AMEN AMEN to that.  The 64 degree Z-Satin wedge is my favorite, hands down.  I look forward to hitting as much as possible.  It is a STROKE saver.

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:48 PM

I agree 100% with YJ.  The 5 completely different shot options that club gives you around and near the greens turns into short putts all day, especially on tournament greens.  On some of those greens that are tricky to get your second shot close to the pin (OCC #9,BPB #7,13,15, and SA #14 come to mind) I will lay up an approach shot to full or punch distance knowing you'll be able to make the putt almost every time.

• WiredBullets
    103 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:51 PM

RoadWarrior28:

If you have a wedge in your bag that you're very confident with, one you ding nearly every time, consider a club for your second shot that will leave you close to the yardage that your favorite club reaches. You may like the results.

You mean you havent been doing this all along? I guess I just figured this was common sense...

• BacardiAndCoke
    449 Posts
    Sun, Mar 20 2011 7:16 AM

YankeeJim:

All day, every day the Satin 64w.  :-)

I love my 64 wedge, saves me so many strokes per round its unbelieveable ;-)
    now i know have to use it well i fancy getting up & down from anywhere inside of 50 yards, cut loads of bogeys off my card, especially around Bethpage ;-)

Jessica

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sun, Mar 20 2011 7:31 AM

The 50 yd wedge is a great club alright, I use it more than any other probably. The new R-11 Hybrid is becoming my favorite though, very versatile, can substitute more than adequately for a 3W, punches from the rough are awesome, 200 - 230 approaches hit high and land softer than irons very precise and predictable IMO. 

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Sun, Mar 20 2011 7:42 AM

sixkiller:
    The new R-11 Hybrid is becoming my favorite though,

I bought the R11 Hybrid to try it and was hoping to sub it for my 3 iron....but it wouldn't let me, so I had to give up one of my wedges to put the hybrid in the bag?

WGT, why can I not sub a 3 iron for this club ?

SM

• PAGES
RSS