Help › Forums

*** #9 Oakmont putting challenge ***

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:14 PM (66 replies)
  • hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 11:59 PM

OK - Time is Up - The Challenge is Over

Congratulations to RoggRR on the win and thank-you everyone for your participation.

I hope it was more Fun than Frustration!

The Scoreboard is unchanged from that posted above.

I am providing the Prize List to Icon, and balls should be on their way in the next day or so.

Thanks Again & Happy Hacking

Neil (The Hakman)

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 12:10 AM

Thanks to Icon for hosting this little competition and to Neil for managing the scoreboard, and congratulations to Rogg for his winning putt.  : )

• Tarheelfan83
    427 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 1:24 AM

hakman123:

Well time is running out.   Will anyone beat 62 yds?  Will anyone hit Icon's crazy 65 yd challenge target??   unlikely!

There is now 14 hrs to go - and here is the Scoreboard as it currently stands.

Have Fun & Happy Hacking to you all

Neil (The Hakman)

I think you have the scorecard wrong there. The rules state that the first 5 putts of 150 ft+ get 2 sleeves.  Unless I'm mistaken I was the first to hit a putt over 150, therefore I should get 2 sleeves and not one as you have shown. It did not not say the the first five longest putts get 2 sleeves.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 3:54 AM

Tarheelfan83:
    I think you have the scorecard wrong there. The rules state that the first 5 putts of 150 ft+ get 2 sleeves.  Unless I'm mistaken I was the first to hit a putt over 150, therefore I should get 2 sleeves and not one as you have shown. It did not not say the first five longest putts get 2 sleeves.

Hi Corey,

Unfortunately Icon was not clear when he wrote the rules in the first place - however he did cover himself by including this 'catch-all' clause:

WGTicon:
    p.s I reserve the right to update or limit this challenge based on elements that may come to light after :)

I realized there was a problem when drawing up the scoreboard for the first time - and it was clear by these rules that there could in fact be up to 16 prizes awarded, depending on the order that entries were lodged - and Icon was only planning on offering 10. This was why I got Icon to clarify the intent of the competition - and I clearly made a correction to his wording of the way prizes were to be awarded. Please refer to this post I made explaining the problem and detailing the way prizes would be awarded.

hakman123:

WGTicon:
    prize: longest putt (you can go for it from the rough too) from above the hole of at least 150ft gets 4 sleeves. first 5 putts of 150ft+ get 2 sleeves. first 10 putts of 125ft+ get 1 sleeve. One prize qualifier per person.

I act as score-keeper usually for these challenges, and have been asked by Icon to do so again in this challenge. His wording was a little unclear so I am trying to clarify the way prizes are to be awarded with plenty of time remaining in the challenge. I have discussed this with Icon to make sure it is clear.

His response is as follows:-

There are 10 prizes on offer. Only 1 prize per person.

The longest putt = 4 sleeves.     In the event of ties - the first to post breaks ties.

The next 4 longest putts will receive 2 sleeves each (min qualifying distance = 150 ft and first to post breaks ties)

The next longest 5 putts will receive 1 sleeve each (min qualifying distance = 125 ft and first to post breaks ties)

When he said  "first 5 putts" and "first 10 putts"  he meant first in terms of distance -- not first to enter.

This challenge runs until the end of July 4th (midnight PDT time) - so still plenty of time to make the list.

Here is the leaderboard as it currently stands....

RoggRR and bdneedle     in case you win a prize - please nominate type of ball.

Good Luck and Happy Hacking

Neil (The Hakman)

You will note that I also went to the trouble of periodically posting the 'current scoreboard' throughout the competition so that everyone could clearly see where they stood, and what prize they were entitled to.

I realize that you probably thought you had won a prize and then did not bother to look again until it was all over - but I cannot really help that. I have throughout tried to be as helpful as possible to everyone. It is the nature of Icon's challenges that they last for several days, and in most cases there is a gradual pushing of the "top score" where everyone thinks that is the limit - and then somebody goes one better again. They are not challenges that you win on the first effort usually. You need to participate throughout and watch the scoreboard as the leaders change.

These are meant simply as a light hearted bit of fun that is different a bit from the normal WGT action. Icon is kind enough to donate prizes, and these are just a great bonus in addition to a fun event.

Sorry if you feel that you missed out on something. I hope you enjoyed participating nonetheless.

Happy Hacking

Neil (The Hakman)

• RoggRR
    588 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 11:20 AM

thank you for the nice words.

we can see several awesome putts here - congrats to all - u already know, it was'nt easy to do it.

thank you to mr.Icon for the nice and funny tournament. enjoyed it.

thank you to hakman for managing the scorelist and the rest of things.

see u next time.

have a good fun.

• CycloneBoom
    684 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 1:01 PM

hakman123:

I did try a few places on the far side of the path. Most spots are 40-50% rough, but I managed to find a few spots on the edge with 30-40%.

When I putt at full power from there, at worst I end up in the middle of the rough between the path and the green, at best I dribble the ball onto the green maybe 10 yds and end up 50 yds short.

Couldn't find anywhere that did better than that.

I suspect it is all in finding the best starting point for your putt. But the camera angles and visibility back there is simply awful, so it is hard to work out where you are - let alone where to try next.    Like I said - I gave it up after quite a lot of prospecting.

Just speculating...

I wonder if the green speed would've made a difference, as starting from the Play Now page only resulted in a standard speed. The best I found from 62yds+ was also the 30-40% rough, and I encountered a similar problem, and couldn't get the ball to the hole.

Maybe a practice round with Champ greens would help (e.g. random 3 until the hole is selected).

However, as we all know, lightning greens also make putting on those slopes even more dangerous. Add the unpradictibility of the rough, and it's probably a 1 in 1000 shot on a good day, if that.

Anyhow, that's all too late now...

Congratulations to RoggRR on the win, and everyone else who managed to hole the shot. Great job guys!

Also a big thanks to Hakman for running the leaderboard, and keeping us all updated on the standings. It was useful to have some clarity.

Thanks again Icon for arranging this, and I really appreciate the prize. :)

-Cyclone

• 19cltc67
    3,296 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:14 PM

n1 came across this challenge LATE lol

and after trying to beat the 65yrd shots...i managed to punch  my last max ball OUT OF BOUNDS lmao.....so i stopped tryin :(

thanks for the 2 sleeves, time to go try lower my avg

thanks all

RSS