Help › Forums

*** #9 Oakmont putting challenge ***

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:14 PM (66 replies)
  • msulaman
    448 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 12:37 AM

Near miss from 154 ft

This is the best that this duffer could manage before my patience ran out. An interesting challenge, thanx Icon. 

One thing I was able to confirm is that putts absolutely do count as hits on your ball. I had been told by a (normally) reliable source that wgt had asured him that putts do not count as hits on the ball. This is not true. So if you are going to take up this challenge, I recommend that you use the free starter balls. The meter speed will be faster but the ball behavior is (I am told) the same for these balls as for the expensive ones.

Good Luck to all who try.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 12:52 AM

msulaman:
    One thing I was able to confirm is that putts absolutely do count as hits on your ball.

NO THEY DON'T

However if you are playing a mulligan - that will count as a penalty stroke on your ball no matter what shot you are playing.  The decline in your ball hits remaining meter will have been the cost of mulligans - not the putts taken.

Just to be clear ---

• Putts from on the green - do not count as hits on your ball
    • Putts from the fringe or off the green - DO count as hits on your ball
    • Non-putts from on the green (say chipping from the green) - DO count as hits
  • TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 1:08 AM

• msulaman
    448 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 1:23 AM

hakman123:

NO THEY DON'T

However if you are playing a mulligan - that will count as a penalty stroke on your ball no matter what shot you are playing.  The decline in your ball hits remaining meter will have been the cost of mulligans - not the putts taken.

So I pull into my local service station to buy some gas because sign says "All Coffee Is Free Today". I have a free cup of coffee and it's so good I decide to have a refill. But wait, the coffee is free but the fact that I asked for a refill costs me $2.00. Gotta love it!! 

Only wgt could come up with such an <adjective deleted> idea.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 1:47 AM

Take it however you like to explain it - and unfair it may seem - but it is covered in the FAQs. A mulligan will cost you 2 strokes - even if it is a putt.

So in the normal game - a putt does not degrade your ball meter.

But in a practice game  - a putt will cost you 2 hits on your ball meter.

What is a Mulligan?

A mulligan is a stroke that is replayed from the spot of the previous stroke without penalty.

How can I take a mulligan in WGT?

Mulligans can only be used in Practice mode as a single player playing on a stroke play course.

Is there a cost to use a mulligan?

If you use a mulligan during a Practice game, the ball you are using will be degraded by two hits instead of one hit. Mulligan putts will also degrade your ball by two hits.

Is there a limit on the number of mulligans I can use?

No, there is no limit on the number of mulligans you can use when playing a Practice game.

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 7:42 AM

I can barely two putt from 10 feet below the hole on number 9, and now people are holing out from 40+ yards away. Thanks for helping me realize just how terribad my putting really is LOL

• kensabre10
    2,906 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 7:46 AM

please explain how to set this up, i ant find a spot on the green thats anywhere near 150+ feet? what am i doing wrong?

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 9:02 AM

kensabre10:

please explain how to set this up, i ant find a spot on the green thats anywhere near 150+ feet? what am i doing wrong?

The back left corner of the green is just under 180 ft from the hole. It is difficult to see the green back there because of the poor camera angles - but the green goes back farther than you can see on the mini-map or by the camera views. Keep in mind that the actual distance to work out how far to hit - as you cannot get a good read from an aiming marker - you will need to guess-timate the direction and work out how much further to go based on your current distance to the hole and what is left to get to 180.

Good Luck

• Young46
    1,294 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 9:53 AM

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 11:17 AM

60 yards. Does that qualify as it's not in foots.  : )

NIKE 20XI-X (L71+) please, if I win anything.

RSS