Forums

Help › Forums

FLASH no longer supported by Google Chrome?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 25 2016 8:14 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • vadernader
    62 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 4:00 PM

garyk49:

vadernader:

Where are you seeing this? Excuse me for not believing but the only place I can find that quote is from webpages dated in November 2015. I really can't believe Chrome is about to completely drop flash compatibility like that, does not seem like a real notice to me.

If you are running an older version of Chrome, go in and look at your plugins.  You will find 2 different flashes there.  NPAPI which is Adobe and PPAPI which is Chromes.  Also if you look closely, you will see other plugins that are NPAPI.  In Chrome version 45 all NPAPI plugins stopped working,  the PPAPI version of flash continues to work.

Actually both Chrome and Mozilla started scaling back the support of NPAPI plugins in 2014. It started with Chrome version 42 I believe.  If I remember correctly I was still running a version 40 Chrome and was not affected by Chromes change.

Not all of us here run the latest and greatest for many different reasons.  One being, the latest is not always the greatest. You will find some run versions 10/11 flash, some run a version 18, I think current is 27.  Many run much earlier versions of Chrome, and other browsers.  Most have auto updates turned off for this very reason.

A simple search on the internet will let you find everything you need to know concerning Flash.  And yes Flash is in the process of dying.

You don't understand what I asked. I am very familiar with NPAPI/PPAPI and the general consensus that flash is "dying" (just like many other things people believe are/were "dying") 

The problem is that OP claimed that within a week Chrome would suddenly stop all compatibility with flash with some doom and gloom looking quote which I find ridiculous. I have tried "a simple search" to find the quote to no avail, even looking in multiple places with multiple phrasings. The only place I can find that quote is from some blogs from 2015 making me believe it is a fake quote that is not actually from Google. There is no way that they would just drop flash like that next week and I will eat my hat if they did.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 4:53 PM

This could also be a win10 situation, who knows what Microsoft/Edge is doing anymore.

vadernader:

You don't understand what I asked. I am very familiar with NPAPI/PPAPI and the general consensus that flash is "dying" (just like many other things people believe are/were "dying") 

The problem is that OP claimed that within a week Chrome would suddenly stop all compatibility with flash with some doom and gloom looking quote which I find ridiculous. I have tried "a simple search" to find the quote to no avail, even looking in multiple places with multiple phrasings. The only place I can find that quote is from some blogs from 2015 making me believe it is a fake quote that is not actually from Google. There is no way that they would just drop flash like that next week and I will eat my hat if they did.

ok start here, this may be the jest of what the OP received, as it is dated about right.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/chromium-dev/HTML5$20by$20default/chromium-dev/0wWoRRhTA_E/__E3jf40OAAJ  appears to be going to click to play.

and then

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033?hl=en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_release_history

you can look at all or here are the highlights

42.0.2311 2015-04-14 (Linux, OS X and Windows)
    2015-04-15 (Android)
    2015-04-16 (iOS)
    Blink 537.36 4.2.77
    • Support for NPAPI plugins disabled by default
    • A number of new apps, extension and Web Platform APIs (including the Push API)
    • Lots of under the hood changes for stability and performance[r 97]
    • Add Bookmark is now redesigned.

Android version:

• Getting the latest updates from sites with notifications
    • Adding your favorite sites to your homescreen is now even easier
    • Bug fixes and speedy performance improvements

45.0.2454 2015-09-01 (Linux, OS X and Windows)
    2015-09-01 (Android)
    2015-09-02 (iOS)
    Blink 537.36 4.5.103
    • Support for NPAPI plugins permanently disabled
    • A number of fixes and improvements

• vadernader
    62 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 5:06 PM

Yeah I understand that, but that stuff is from 2015! The way OP's post was written it made me believe next week you wouldn't be able to play WGT (or use any other flash sites) on Chrome anymore which is just not true. Maybe I just misinterpreted it but the reality is that Chrome is just stopping (already stopped, rather) support for NPAPI plugins and WGT will still be very available to Chrome users.

One of the links you posted even says:

"

PPAPI plugins still work

Plugins that use a newer, more secure system called Pepper API (PPAPI) still work. That includes plugins that come with Chrome, like Adobe Flash. There's no need to install anything extra because PPAPI plugins will update when Chrome does.

"

So it's clear that WGT will still work on Chrome until the eventual end of PPAPI.
  • derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 8:14 PM

yeah, but the meter is beyond jumpy on PPAPI flash. Works no better than IE meter. 

I had to revert back to Mozilla once NPAPI was disabled by Chrome

• PAGES
RSS