Forums

Help › Forums

FLASH no longer supported by Google Chrome?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 25 2016 8:14 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Fenixcats
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 1:06 PM

Hi

I have received  2 notices this week concerning website utilizing FLASH I am involved with and now I am wondering how this will effect WGT?

Flash is dead

Finally, we have absolutely reached the end of Flash days – don’t let anybody tell you differently. While it is safe to say that the web has been headed in this direction for a very long time, Google has recently announced that Chrome will no longer be supporting any websites that utilize flash technology. If you have a Flash website, or have any elements that utilize Flash, it’s best for you to have them recoded in HTML5. 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 2:49 PM

" If you have a Flash website, or have any elements that utilize Flash, it’s best for you to have them recoded in HTML5. "

Umm..no idea. How does one "recode" ?

If true, I'm a bit surprised wgt hasn't posted something on this.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 4:37 PM

With  version 45 Chrome stopped running a number of NPAPI plugins, Adobe Flash being one of them.  Chrome has its own version of flash PPAPI which still runs Flash based operations.

Others that would have stopped working in Chrome are Java, Microsoft Silverlight are just a couple that come off of the top of my head.

They are other browsers out there that still run current/and older versions of Flash.  Chrome versions before 45 will also run the NPAPI plugins.

This also happened around the same time with Mozilla.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 4:40 PM

According to the articles on this topic Google will not be updating flash for you automatically . That you will have to do on your own . Also flash will still be attached but you will have to manually turn it off and on for usage . There will be other browsers as there are now so no need to worry . Flash is far from dead or gone but if you feel the need to switch try Maxthon 4.9  .

Many of us use maxthon to play the game on and we have little to no problems . I have been using it for over 3 years now and for the most part I have had few problems . There is a new version coming out soon Max5 so just waiting to see what changes it will have .

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 4:47 PM

Lonnie from what I have read about Max5 it appears like it's going to be a pay for use browser. I think that is going to fly like a lead balloon.

They are taking a preorder for trial, when they reach 100,000 they will turn the trial loose.  But if you look around it is going to require a fee to run it.  3 different levels of payment.

Edit for reference...http://www.maxthon.com/mx5yure/

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 5:57 PM

garyk49:

Lonnie from what I have read about Max5 it appears like it's going to be a pay for use browser. I think that is going to fly like a lead balloon.

They are taking a preorder for trial, when they reach 100,000 they will turn the trial loose.  But if you look around it is going to require a fee to run it.  3 different levels of payment.

Edit for reference...http://www.maxthon.com/mx5yure/

I thought that too but I went into the maxton forum and read up on it . So according to the mods at maxthon max5 will also be a free browser that pay thing is some other type of hype . I sent maxthon an email and told them that a pay to use browser wasnt going to work . Who is going to pay to use a browser when there are over a dozen free browsers to use .

I signed up for the trial version and now just waiting on the clock .

• vadernader
    62 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 7:12 PM

Where are you seeing this? Excuse me for not believing but the only place I can find that quote is from webpages dated in November 2015. I really can't believe Chrome is about to completely drop flash compatibility like that, does not seem like a real notice to me.

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 7:48 PM

Future sites are going to be HTML , Sites like WGT which have a flash platform will still be supported by flash.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 8:18 PM

vadernader:

Where are you seeing this? Excuse me for not believing but the only place I can find that quote is from webpages dated in November 2015. I really can't believe Chrome is about to completely drop flash compatibility like that, does not seem like a real notice to me.

If you are running an older version of Chrome, go in and look at your plugins.  You will find 2 different flashes there.  NPAPI which is Adobe and PPAPI which is Chromes.  Also if you look closely, you will see other plugins that are NPAPI.  In Chrome version 45 all NPAPI plugins stopped working,  the PPAPI version of flash continues to work.

Actually both Chrome and Mozilla started scaling back the support of NPAPI plugins in 2014. It started with Chrome version 42 I believe.  If I remember correctly I was still running a version 40 Chrome and was not affected by Chromes change.

Not all of us here run the latest and greatest for many different reasons.  One being, the latest is not always the greatest. You will find some run versions 10/11 flash, some run a version 18, I think current is 27.  Many run much earlier versions of Chrome, and other browsers.  Most have auto updates turned off for this very reason.

A simple search on the internet will let you find everything you need to know concerning Flash.  And yes Flash is in the process of dying.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 1:10 AM

• PAGES
RSS