Forums

Help › Forums

Musical (?) interlude

Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:28 AM (43 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2016 11:06 PM

Mark...incredibly impressed with the original material. 

Superb vocals but my ears were dancing trying to get the complexities of all the individual parts. 

Lead guitar (main one as their are some dual parts) - sounds like a strat as it has that clean sound but it has been dirtied up - what overdrive has been used. Great sustain too......is that the compressor?

Really enjoyed it......you have a fan....maybe soon to be stalker! LOL

In so many ways your band reminds me of Steely Dan,,,,and every bit as good. 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2016 11:33 PM

Alan, thanks.  Jeff sang and played the lead parts using a Peavey Predator (or Raptor) guitar with a humbucker in the bridge and single coils for the other two pickups...good ear on your part because it's a Strat-type guitar.  Bobby was on keys (as he often was) and I held down the rhythm.  By the time this was recorded I think I'd traded in my '69 SFVR for the Goodsell amp you see in the first post and was playing my LP Studio guitar.  I should be coming out of your left speaker, Jeff on the right.

High praise indeed to be compared to Steely Dan!

Bobby and Jeff both used Roland Cube 30 amps and neither one used pedals because the amp has built-in effects and a control for gain, along with a choice of various amp models.  Jeff probably had the gain cranked and was using the Brit Combo or Tweed setting..

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:04 AM

Ahhh that makes sense. I do love the single coils of the Strat but equally humbucker pickups for having the grunt and dirtiness.

I always wanted a Les Paul......borrowed  mates once....cops were called lol.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:43 AM

Har!  What, the cops didn't have their own LP's?

Mine is the LP Studio+ desert burst, the Studio being the low end LP without the fancy trimmings, and therefore affordable more or less...found this pic of one that's the spittin' image of mine.  Told my wife I wouldn't mind being buried in the case, all she has to do is slice me up a bit and I'll fit right properly.

Played Strats and Teles for years, but this has become my workhorse, so versatile and a dream to play.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 4:41 AM

My Fav guitar:)

Poor pic - (phone flash but maybe enough to demo)

My fav go to guitar.  Simple as Mexi Strat, my preferred candy apple red.  Tricked it out with a JB humbucker, and SSL1 single coils and fiddled with wiring.   I can tap the HB and choose which single to employ.  Coil tapped HB and neck single is almost a  Tele - just maybe LOL.

Teamed with a Vox AC15 with swapped in JJ tubes (valves), and a weber Bluedog alnico it can scream LOL.  Had the pleasure of talking to Ted and he ran a fine company.  Even my sons appreciate that sound, and throw in my Hendrix wah (haha) nirvana heaven.

Wish I could play 1/4 what you can mate, but love the guitar talk.  I have a fireburst coloured version of Mark's studio, and yep feels great and love it too:)

Is this a golf site LOL

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 9:05 AM

Jim, she's a beauty for sure, and so cool that you know your way around the wiring mods.  I used to frequent a few guitar/amp forums (still hang out at the Gear Page some) and Ted Weber has always been highly regarded, as are Vox amps of course.

Besides the LP my other two guitars are a Fender MIJ Strat and CIJ Tele, both stock as far as wiring and pickups.  Have owned US and Mexican Fender guitars and they were great axes.  If you've ever picked up the MIJ/CIJ version you'll know the best feature is the neck.  They have the smoothest, most inviting feel to them.

I assume the Vox uses a pair of EL84s, same as my Goodsell.  I put a pair of 7189s in my amp, added a bit of beef, really like that tube (valve).

I'm sure we'll work golf into this conversation somewhere down the line...

;-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 1:50 PM

mkg335:
    I assume the Vox uses a pair of EL84s

Yep ....JJ tubes from a fine place called Eurotubes.  Not really convinced they make as much difference as some, but a superb business and if ever wana talk tubes and get advice they are great.  I did speak with the chief engineer of Vox once LOL and he insisted Brian May simply pulls out what tube is next in the bucket, and that's about it.

Ted was great speaking with.  I went with his blue dog 15watt 16ohms vintage voiced alnico, and happy:)

mkg335:
     If you've ever picked up the MIJ/CIJ version you'll know the best feature is the neck.  

I am short of a Tele:)  Indeed Why not a MIJ/CIJ.  Thanks for the reminder:)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 2:13 AM

Sweeeet playing Mark, many thanks to you for posting these vids. I always knew you were a great guy but this kinda puts a cherry on top of the cake for me.

mkg335:

I used to frequent a few guitar/amp forums (still hang out at the Gear Page some)

Did you ever hang around the Harmony Central forums?  I spent a lot of time there several years ago. Before this place became my fix : (    My main hang out was either the accoustic section or open jam.  That being before I got an electric I was seldom seen in the gear room.

I really have to be more diciplined when it comes to practicing.  If I spent as much time with a guitar in my hand as I do on this dumb site I'd be a legend by now. 

Well, I wouldn't be embarrassed to actually play in front of anyone anyway.

You made my morning mate.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 9:33 AM

mkg335:

Just uploaded this demo to youtube...banging away on the Telecaster to an old-school mini medley of Mystery Train/Girl from Ipanema...

Needs a bump, still keep listening as just love it and keep singing away to it ;-)

RSS