Forums

Help › Forums

Musical (?) interlude

Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:28 AM (43 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 8:04 AM

Gents, thank you all very much, too kind.

Alan, when you mentioned your pre-CBS sunburst Strat...well, it doesn't get any better than that...one of the all-time classics, the Holy Grail!  I did have a '69 Tele that I let slip away, but that's nowhere close to being in the same league.  I don't think there's a guitar more beautiful than the sunburst Strat.

Richard Goodsell, designer and builder of the amp, spent years working on Hammond organs like the B3.  Over those years he salvaged many transformers, then went into the "boutique" amp business.  My amp was built in 2004 and uses a pair of EL84 power tubes, has a bit of an oversized cab and (to my ears) is a monster of tone, can easily get into Vox territory when the knobs are tweaked properly.  It has three controls...gain, tone, volume...which is one of its many charms...have never liked amps with knobs all over the place.  The speaker is a Celestion G12H30 made in England.

As far as jamming, that would be completely fooking cool, definitely more fun than knocking virtual golf balls into imaginary water hazards...

;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 8:43 AM

We (the band) retired a few years ago.  Subsequently two of our members, Bobby and Jeff, passed away...sorely missed, to say the least.  Not sure how many songs Bobby and I wrote together, probably close to 100...spent many a late, late night into the wee hours of the morning at his house and in the studio working on material.

Anyway, we had played a local event called Friday After 5, a summer-long annual public festival since its inception, always to an appreciative and responsive audience that seemed to generate a sort of symbiotic energy...the more they'd get into it, the more we'd try to take things to the next level.  This year the folks who stage the festival asked if we'd put together a reunion show, so the surviving members discussed it and said, Why not?  We got a couple of local guys to help us out and have been rehearsing for the show, should be great fun.

Below is a compilation of some of our previous performances and includes interviews with band members, our sound man, and a few fans.  We had a great run and it'll be fun to perform one last show.

p.s.  Alan, that's yours truly on the far left playing the white Strat.  ;-)

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 11:49 AM

The best thing that has happened to all of Us in quite some time  just happened. Trust me. If you ain't watched this yet, Stop and watch.....

~t~

At about 13.10 in Our Man went and got himself some......

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 12:31 PM

Yep. WGTland just received a massive influx of cool.

Doc :)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 2:00 PM

Too kind, guys...on behalf of the band...(me on the far left as usual) I thank you...

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 3:55 PM

Great stuff, as an elvis fan i just love mystery train, and the mini doc was a great watch

Top stuff

Bubbs

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 4:32 PM

Bubbs, very kind of you, thanks.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 4:35 PM

mkg335:

Too kind, guys...on behalf of the band...(me on the far left as usual) I thank you...

Love it LOL

Super stuff.  I watched it all with earphone son and LOUD LOL............Seriously though a fine tribute to those chaps you lost, a great gesture, super band and have that fun as know you will.

Thanks for sharing that one.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 5:16 PM

mkg335:

Just uploaded this demo to youtube...banging away on the Telecaster to an old-school mini medley of Mystery Train/Girl from Ipanema...

Just  saw that   mon ami  ....  very nice playing ...         Thanks for sharing .  Frapp

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jun 22 2016 5:39 PM

Merci beaucoup, mon ami.

RSS