Forums

Help › Forums

The story of shaya

Sat, May 7 2016 4:18 AM (78 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2016 1:53 PM

Kind of an odd back and forth given the story and it's intent. That said, we are way past the heartwarming human interest stories associated with the "Leave it to Beaver" and "Andy Griffith" shows. Many of the headlines these days are about "kids" shooting at cops, or overdosing on drugs, or cyber bullying.

Most days I feel guilty about being so cynical, then I read the headlines and...well. 

ct

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2016 2:01 PM

CEverett12:
    I have 4 brain cells left ( I think )

No offence intended, but unfortunately, they weren't sufficient to put the borrowed text into quote marks or to name the source, nor to add any thought of your own.

A brilliant post NOT.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 3:09 AM

The manipulation of the story of Shaya (and many other similar tales on the internet) leaves me with a little sick in my mouth.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 5:23 PM

I've heard the story told in several other ways as well...never have I thought it was about religion...it's main frame is to talk/show the good in people (kids in most cases as I have read) helping one not so fortunate/one who does not have the same abilities.

Always wet's my eye - in any configuration I have read.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 5:59 PM

This could be hard to respond to without sounding condescending.....

But I'll give it a punt !!  ;-))

MBaggese:
    I've heard the story told in several other ways as well...never have I thought it was about religion.

Well, you're wrong too Mike :-(

MBaggese:
    .it's main frame is to talk/show the good in people (kids in most cases as I have read) helping one not so fortunate/one who does not have the same abilities.

True, BUT, look where the source comes from...?

It is overtly religious in connotation imo.

Not knocking the sentiment btw ( in all it's internet forms )

....kindness, forgiveness, acceptance, respect, etc etc....are attributes we should all aspire to.

I just don't believe that having Faith, necessarily helps in the process....

MBaggese:
    Always wet's my eye - in any configuration I have read.

Fook me...you getting soppy in ya old age !!  ;-))

Andy ( might have one less on 'friend' list tomorrow :-(  )

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 6:12 PM

Andy, you've got it right.  We help one another, are compassionate, display empathy because we're social animals and because it's the right way to be.  No directives or instructions from imaginary celestial dictators or supernatural powers are necessary.  Epicurus nailed it long ago...

"We do not so much need the help of our friends as the confidence of their help in need."

I wouldn't worry about Baggs, he'll stick with you through thick and thin.

;-)

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 6:28 PM

mkg335:

Andy, you've got it right.  We help one another, are compassionate, display empathy because we're social animals and because it's the right way to be.  No directives or instructions from imaginary celestial dictators or supernatural powers are necessary.  Epicurus nailed it long ago...

"We do not so much need the help of our friends as the confidence of their help in need."

I wouldn't worry about Baggs, he'll stick with you through thick and thin.

;-)

"Celestial dictators" ?. As an aside, wasn't Epicurus the guy who invented feta cheese?

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 6:51 PM

"Celestial dictator" is a term borrowed from Christopher Hitchens by which he expressed his disdain for the idea that we humans are under constant surveillance and monitoring by an illusory power invented by our ancestors during the infancy of our species, when we didn't know that diseases were caused by viruses and bacteria, nor that violent storms, earthquakes and volcanoes all had natural causes...and thus were not punishments sent down by imaginary supernatural forces.

Don't know about the feta cheese, just know that Epicurus was one of the first guys who figured out what's really going on here.

;-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 7:15 PM

CEverett12:
    Shaya ran home, stepped on home plate and all 18 boys lifted him on their shoulders and made him the hero, as he had just hit a “grand slam” and won the game for his team.

...................................................................

" That Day," said his father softly with tears now rolling down his face, " Those 18 boys reached their level of God's perfection "

FIFY Chrissy....

The ending you conveniently erased !!!!

Would you like me to post the screenshot of your REAL1st post ???

EDIT was the word you were looking for ?

Can't get away with deleting or adding,  to try and prove a point...

TOO many people watching / reading.....you will only look foolish.

Andy

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 8:04 PM

We're about 3 seconds away from someone quoting Nietzche.

RSS