Forums

Help › Forums

Can credits be purchased with a Visa gift card?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 9 2009 7:47 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MikeMangan
    48 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 2:28 PM

I don't own a credit card (my wife does but I really don't want to use one for this purpose), so is it possible to pay for a Visa gift card and then transfer the money toward credits? If somebody from WGT or someone else post an answer for me, that would be much appreciated.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 2:46 PM

Although I have not tried this myself, I do believe that it is possible.  I don't have time to track down the post by WGT that addresses this, but there were quite a few questions during the USOpen Quailifer...

Also, you could try sending this question to members@worldgolftour.com.  Whenever i have had a question, and sent it there, I have had a response within minutes.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 2:49 PM

Careful with prepaid credit/gift cards.  You need to make sure that it doesn't say "electronic use only" on the back.  Those cards can only be swiped through a machine and can't be used online!

I know a  fellow who got stuck with an electronic only card, so read it carefully.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 3:16 AM

nivlac:
    You need to make sure that it doesn't say "electronic use only" on the back. Those cards can only be swiped through a machine and can't be used online!

Not true... That used to be the case some time ago, but nowadays many cards with Electronic Use Only written on them can be used online, too. I purchased some of my equipment here at WGT through one such VISA debit card that has Electronic Use Only inscripted. MikeMangan can also purchase equipment via PayPal, no credit card is really necessary.

NOTE TO WGT STAFF: please update your FAQ, Deposits and Credits section. For a few weeks now, it has said "At this time we only accept credit cards for purchasing credits." in reply to the How do I buy credits? question, and a couple of inches below that: "We also accept PayPal." in reply to the question What payment methods do you accept? WGT forgot to delete that first statement when they were updating the FAQ. They should delete the statement now because back in July, PayPal was introduced as another payment option.

If WGT's goal is to collect as much revenue as possible, they should be careful not to discourage their potential customers. Also, there's a difference between credit cards and debit cards. Many folks can't afford a credit card, or are not comfortable with using a credit card online, but many simple debit cards work for WGT, too, in addition to PayPal. These things really should be highlighted in the FAQ, so that WGT makes it as easy as possible for site users to purchase credits.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 8:06 AM

Lol, it's not untrue.  Read this.  Unembossed cards (which are common here in the US), have all the "cardholder" information electronically coded into the strip, thus if you try to use it online it won't work because there is no name printed on the card.  You have no info to physically key in aside from the number itself.  Not all cards are like this, but many are.  I've ran across them in my stints in retail as well.

It might just be a US thing because of the poker boom recently.  Prepaids used to be any easy way to get around the US's HR 446 (?) bill so you could fund your PokerStars account or whatnot.

Also, Paypal still requires either a credit card (including prepaid), debit card or bank account information to deposit funds.  Other than using a prepaid, PayPal really doesn't help the folks looking to avoid having their personal info online.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 9:18 AM

nivlac:
    Lol, it's not untrue. Read this.

Your link does not confirm your words. In fact, it says:

MasterCard:
    If you accept a MasterCard Unembossed transaction and you do not have an electronic terminal, or it is out of use; you may carry additional liability.

So, it's very well possible to accept unembossed cards online, it's just that this is deemed more risky. It's up to each seller to consider whether they want to accept unembossed cards or not. It's up to WGT.com, and I'm simply informing MikeMangan that purchasing via VISA unembossed cards (at least some of them) here on WGT.com is very well possible, since I bought half of my equipment with one such unembossed VISA card.

You're correct, Nivlac, that the policies may vary from region to region. However, there's been a world-wide trend in recent years towards ignoring the differences between embossed and unembossed cards online. This makes perfect sense, actually, as there is no physical contact with your cards in online purchases anyway, whether they are embossed or unembossed.

Finally, there may be a difference in VISA and MasterCard policies. Perhaps VISA unembossed cards work on this site, while MasterCard unembossed cards do not.  

nivlac:
    Also, Paypal still requires either a credit card (including prepaid), debit card or bank account information to deposit funds. Other than using a prepaid, PayPal really doesn't help the folks looking to avoid having their personal info online.

The point in using PayPal is that you only have to enter that sensitive information once to a single (and reputable) provider (PayPal), rather than multiple times to several online vendors some of whom you may not know enough to trust fully.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 12:06 PM

In order to use an unembossed VISA/MC card on WGT, they'd have to be willing to "process an online authorization" which means manually phoning it in if no terminal is present.  I doubt WGT will call in an authorization on your behalf because doing so will increase their liability.  They could receive a chargeback if the issuer disputed it.

So the end result is still basically the same, if you buy an unembossed card (at least, here in the US), there's a good chance you are going to be stuck with it like the fellow did 3 days ago who was denied use and is now looking for a way to exchange his card for one that will work.

Just make sure it doesn't say electronic use only.  Then there is absolutely no doubt and you can avoid the headache the other fellow is currently dealing with.

Good luck, Mike!

• MikeMangan
    48 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 1:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to WGT and they said that I could use a Visa gift card. I had purchased a couple of clubs to this point and have not had any problems, I went online to check the balance on the gift card and it reflected the two purchases.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 1:28 PM

Well, just out of curiosity Mike, does it say electronic use only anywhere on it?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 2:00 PM

nivlac:
    Just make sure it doesn't say electronic use only. Then there is absolutely no doubt

I don't know how you can say that, since my VISA card has Electronic Use Only on it but I used it several times on this site to buy equipment. Even if what you say should be true for the US, it's best not to make such sweeping generalizing statements. Lots of readers visit these forums, not just US readers.  

Nivlac, I think the safest indication as to whether a card can be used online or not, is not whether it's a credit or a debit card, not whether it's emobossed or unembossed, and not whether it has Electronic Use Only on it or not. The safest indicator might be if there is the 3-digit Security Code on the back of the card. If there is no 3-digit Security Code on the back of your card, you most likely can't use it online. If you have that 3-digit code, it's very much possible (not certain, of course) you can use your card online, even if it's only a debit card, unembossed and with Electronic Use Only inscripted on it.

• PAGES
RSS