Forums

Help › Forums

new golf game called Winning Putt

Sun, Oct 13 2019 1:16 PM (23 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2016 8:37 AM

Some players seem keen on it, some not so much...so mixed reviews, I guess. People invariably vote with their feet (and $$), so time will tell.

ct

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:42 PM

AndreasHelke:
    If WGT would use real high res photos instead of the compressed junk they are currently feeding us as course photos, a smooth meter and a lot fewer bugs WGT would be the undisputed leader for golf simulations. As it currently is I am not so sure.

Compare apples to apples. How long did it take you to DL this game? Oops, no DL required. GL playing on any other computer than the one you DL'd the game to.

Compressed junk?  Take a survey and see how many think that.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2016 2:00 PM

YankeeJim:
    How long did it take you to DL this game? Oops, no DL required. GL playing on any other computer than the one you DL'd the game to.

All very true but it wouldn't matter, even if Winning Putt was a browser game the fact remains it would still be absolute shite.

It honestly stinks.

• AndreasHelke
    675 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2016 6:41 PM

YankeeJim:

AndreasHelke:
    If WGT would use real high res photos instead of the compressed junk they are currently feeding us as course photos, a smooth meter and a lot fewer bugs WGT would be the undisputed leader for golf simulations. As it currently is I am not so sure.

Compare apples to apples. How long did it take you to DL this game? Oops, no DL required. GL playing on any other computer than the one you DL'd the game to.

Compressed junk?  Take a survey and see how many think that.

I does absolutely not matter to me that I have to wait 10 minutes or even a few hours to download 4 GB of data for a game that I will use for years. But I and a lot of other people care about photo quality. But most of them will stop playing WGT after 15 minutes or a few days. So on WGT you mostly have a self selected group who do not care too much about the atrocious image quality.

Still a lot of them would really like to play a game that actually works as intended instead of having a bug collection with a notoriously unreliable meter that sends most peoples balls right and left into the rough water or out of bounds at unpredictable times.

Despite its flaws WGT is clearly the better simulation of a real golf game. But Winning Putt shows us right now how well a golf simulation could work on our computers if it was developed and programmed correctly with state of the art tools.

And if you would stay with the WGT concept of using a slide show to show the course you don´t even need a a serious graphics card and a very noticeable fan cooling it. But the current WGT client can not even display the correct slide much of the time. Typical database programming at its finest in WGT style.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2016 2:22 AM

Part of the fun of this game for me is to imagine I'm really shooting a great round at St Andrews, Pebble Beach, Oakmont, Pinehurst or Starglen(?)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2016 4:19 AM

AndreasHelke:
    with a notoriously unreliable meter that sends most peoples balls right and left into the rough water or out of bounds at unpredictable times.

I am in a CC of 100 players and have a further 150 friends on my list, what you describe does not happen to them or me.

I have seen my meter skip twice in the last 3 months and neither times resulted in a ball loss. Maybe the faults you experience lie closer to home.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2016 5:15 AM

AndreasHelke:
    Still a lot of them would really like to play a game that actually works as intended instead of having a bug collection with a notoriously unreliable meter that sends most peoples balls right and left into the rough water or out of bounds at unpredictable times

Maybe if you spent as much time and energy trying to fix your own gear as you do slamming the game you wouldn't have this problem. And yes, it is YOUR problem because if it was the game's, I would see the same thing and I don't.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2016 10:17 AM

PaulTon:

AndreasHelke:
    with a notoriously unreliable meter that sends most peoples balls right and left into the rough water or out of bounds at unpredictable times.

I am in a CC of 100 players and have a further 150 friends on my list, what you describe does not happen to them or me.

I have seen my meter skip twice in the last 3 months and neither times resulted in a ball loss. Maybe the faults you experience lie closer to home.

I agree with Paul. Your stats seem solid. I can't imagine you being a 61 avg legend if your meter was consistently acting up.

I think we all have meter issues now and again, as well as other tech issues, but it certainly isn't as dire as you say. Majority of my bad shots (and I have many) are my own fault.

ct

• AndreasHelke
    675 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2016 7:32 PM

I don´t say that the meter sends the ball away all of the time or even most of the time for most people. But far more often than is acceptable. And there is no reliable way to completely get rid of the problem. All of the people I regularly play with have the same troubles. But usually not at the same time as I have if we are in a shared multiplayer round.

The annoying thing is that this problem would simply not exist at all if WGT had choosen other software tools to develop their game.

• californiacutie
    73 Posts
    Wed, Aug 10 2016 5:15 AM

He Just ask a question,  people like you give wgt a bad name.

RSS