Forums

Help › Forums

I think it's pretty safe to say that Mubarak is an idiot.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:09 PM (9 replies)
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Feb 2 2011 8:40 PM

Shutting down the internet... not gunna go over well.

Shutting down wireless phone networks... not gunna go over well.

Shooting unarmed protesters... not gunna go over well.

Something tells me this guy's never read The Art of War or The Prince.  I've got my credit card ready, trying to find out where I can pre-order a copy of How Not to Run a Country by Hosni Mubarak.

(Oh, btw, Al Jazeera's live footage from Cairo.)

• asugunnu
    48 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 4:49 AM

shut down that thread,hosnie would say..i've been in egypt 2 months ago,they really need a real democracy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 5:01 AM

A  local morning radio show, The Wease Show on 95.1 WFX, has direct phone contact with a Rochester native currently living right in the middle of what is happening over there. Very enlightening as the dj calls her every morning (yes, the phones work) for an update and you get a first hand report. 

Most interesting is what she (the Egypt person) says--don't believe the media, it's not like what you see. Yes, the country's in turmoil but the friggin sensationalize everything media is not doing a good job reporting it accurately. Go figure, sell more newspapers.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 5:35 AM

YankeeJim:

A  local morning radio show, The Wease Show on 95.1 WFX, has direct phone contact with a Rochester native currently living right in the middle of what is happening over there. Very enlightening as the dj calls her every morning (yes, the phones work) for an update and you get a first hand report. 

Most interesting is what she (the Egypt person) says--don't believe the media, it's not like what you see. Yes, the country's in turmoil but the friggin sensationalize everything media is not doing a good job reporting it accurately. Go figure, sell more newspapers.

Cell phones were shut down in Egypt for a week, ending not long ago.  It must've been a satellite phone... the difference being that, unlike a cell phone, you can't shut a satellite phone down by bringing down cell towers.

At any rate, I'd call it a big deal:

1) There have been hundreds of thousands, perhaps up to a million people protesting.
    2) Thousands of Molotov cocktails have been thrown and shots have been fired.
    3) The military was called in. 
    4) The internet was shut down for a week. (Mubarak's an idiot.)
    5) Cell phones were shut down for a week. (Mubarak's an idiot.)
    6) The President made concessions.  (I don't know much about Egypt's politics, but it seems to me that the primary concern of the protesters is police corruption and brutality.  Mubarak should've just lopped off some heads at various police departments and ordered all police to quit torturing/killing people.)
    7) The US felt its ally was under such duress that they pretty much publicly abandoned him in order to buddy-up to whoever takes over.  (That's the public display, at any rate.  It could be another Nga Dinh Diem -type scenario.)

The only reason this could have been over-hyped by the US media is if the USG told them to over-hype it in order to feed the fire... perhaps the USG secretly wants Mubarak gone.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 6:58 AM

Now back up 1 through 7 with some sources that aren't media outlets.   :-)

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:10 AM

I hate to support him, but there's been many first-hand accounts from people in Egypt from sources like Twitter, which, of course, isn't going though the media first...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:03 AM

The radio station just had her on again. They're calling her twice a day for updates and one of the questions was about the Molotov cocktails. She says there's a gasoline shortage over there and wasn't sure where they were getting the gas from, let alone for thousands of them. All was quiet at the time (around 5:30 pm there) but she also pointed out that tomorrow is prayer day there and that she wasn't looking forward to Saturday.

She also says the camel and horses used in the crowd were trucked in by the police and that high level government officials had their bank accounts frozen. Weird goings on for sure.

How does Twitter work without internet or is it back on? If it is are there any Egyptian WGTers here?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 3:51 PM

Regarding the shutdown of the internet and cell phone networks, here's a non-media source: Human Rights Watch.  HRW says that "most cell phone networks" were shut down, so presumably, that means that while most cell phones did not work, a few cell phones still did.  If correct, it's possible that the caller really was using a cell phone, but nonetheless, it's also possible that a satellite phone was being used, which is harder for Egypt to turn off.  (Outside of extreme measures [e.g. EMP, etc.], you can only shut satellite phones off by signal jamming or shutting down the satellite.)

Another HRW article confirms that pro-Mubarak mobs have been using petrol bombs, although that was pretty obvious from simply watching Al Jazeera's broadcast.

• Yakublue
    125 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 4:48 PM
    Mubarak has been a US stooge for thirty years and Obama is panicking now, he can't stick with the devil he knows. This is typical US foreign policy, spout freedom (illusory) at home while denying millions democracy (also illusory) abroad by installing and supporting puppet dictators to protect US interests. However the nation state system is obsolete. Monetary based economics is doomed, we are way past peak oil, and we are witnessing the dying embers of capitalism. How nasty things get is subject to how much present elites want to cling on to the ancien regime. The only way to resolve international conflict, poverty and social deprivation is to evolve towards a resource based means of production. The peoples of the world must educate themselves on the principles of resource based economics and demand that their governments recognise the unsustainability of current global economics and the monetary system that underpins it, and negotiate internationally with the express aims of developing a system of global production that satisfies needs and not wants. The Yak
  • griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:09 PM

In 1986 I lived with the muzziea bedouin's in Egypt for 8 months, at that time they had no TV's, no phones and their electric came from noisy generators. They did how ever have a lot of hash and Arak..which i frequently sampled ...just thought someone out there might find that interesting.

Also Yak your boy left ..lucky for u he still plays in blue....lol

RSS