Forums

Help › Forums

hardest course

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:30 PM (5 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Feb 2 2011 6:02 PM
    Okay for me it's Oakmount no question! I can't putt there to save my neck!! Think I'm going to quit trying----doctor says I need to lower my blood pressure. :-)
  • PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Feb 2 2011 7:09 PM

Just managed a 68 at Oakmont, so Bethpage for me. There are so many long second shots at BP, many of which you cannot hold on the green. Many players suggest purposefully hitting the rough or sand by the greens to set up a chance at a Par. For me that shows a flaw in the course. The 7th hole being a par 4 is somewhat silly - play really well and get a par?

• KuntaKinte84
    3 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:06 AM

yess beth page is ridiculous....

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 11:36 AM

I would say Bethpage and Oakmont are on a par (no pun intended) with each other.  I agree Bethpage seems unfair as it seems impossible to sometimes reach greens or get the ball to stop on them.  Oakmont with it's 5ft breaks on a 2ft putt also borders on unfair.  They're set up as US Open courses, hence the par 70 and consequently a couple of holes that would normally be par 5's to members.

But, I guess it's the same for everyone (or is it???), and many players will be happy for a chip and a putt and walk away with a par to hold their score together.  Almost realistic in the sense that not many players in real US Opens break par for 72 holes!

By the way, I've managed -6 at Bethpage (God only knows how!) and -2 in the USGA Championship at Oakmont, probably my best rounds on those two courses.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:06 PM

MioKontic:
    By the way, I've managed -6 at Bethpage (God only knows how!) and -2 in the USGA

Wow! Way to go! A tip of the ole golf cap to you!

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:30 PM

Oakmont for me but I haven't played it a lot. Done a 63 at Bethpage and St Andrews and a 64 at Kiawah.

RSS