Forums

Help › Forums

Got One new announcement...

Mon, May 9 2016 8:49 AM (40 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 29 2015 3:59 PM

Pootick:
    And what is gained by someone posting a less than stellar score that he had. I'm sorry folks, but I just fail to see any humor in the attempts to minimize his frustration or make it look like his skill level is somehow related.

Alosso posting the OP's score was nothing to do with the guys skill at all.

The score was achieved on the 26th, his farewell speech was posted on the 25th.

Drama queens having a public hissy fit will always bring comments.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Dec 29 2015 7:23 PM

PaulTon:

Alosso posting the OP's score was nothing to do with the guys skill at all.

Seemed quite obvious to me.  ;-)

• BarelyHuman
    22 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2015 7:37 PM

Nothing is obvious on WGT...

The score posted by WGT as actually played on 12-25, a couple of hours before my rant. I can't explain the date difference, Just as I can't explain how myself and a friend,150 miles away up the coast, cannot get through a stroke play game without several freezes, "unexpected error' messages, lags, and unrealistic shot results when we both have cable connections in the 20-30 meg range and no other issues with ANY other program.

It's not about skill level, it's about professionalism in delivering a product to paying subscribers. I joined WGT in 2009 when it was all you could do to hit a green, with wiffle balls and funky clubs. Granted, the product has grown well, with many courses, formats, etc.

But the real growth has been in player participation. True, there are many who join 'free', play with starter sets, and never spend a dime. But there are many more that play because they love the game and invest many dollars in clubs, balls etc in the pursuit of comraderie, competition, and leveling up. It is these players that generate the income of WG and SHOULD be a voice in its development as a viable game.

The Handicap system is a joke, and as far removed from Royal/USGA Handicap configuration as a bookie sheet is to a NASA glide path algorithm fr the shuttle. But it is what it is, and we play by it. Ball/club costs are always a point of contention for some, there again we pay and we play. We do so because we love the game.

But the real issue is the lack of input/connection to the players supporting WGT. Not so far in the past there were no 'unexpected errors', freezes, lockups, blue screens of death, balls disappearing in obvious rough...the game was a little ugly, but it worked. Now it is much more realistic, but more bug-prone. More choices for play, more expensive. More players, more frustrating when it fails to live up to its potential. The potential is there for the game to be much better, but monetary support for maintenance and improvement is crucial to the existence of WGT.

And therein lies the solution, and the problem. When was the last time you posted a *** to the admin and got a real answer? When was the last time a new course was promoted? When was the last time you played a Skins or Match play that was uninterrupted?

There I nothing I have said that is not already known. All it takes is a collective voice to say, "fix this, change that, address this" from the payers/players that fill the pockets.

The old adage "money walks, cow dung lays on the ground and dries out" holds true. And some that posted are right...not very bright, but right...I will continue to play, because I love the game of golf, and right now, WGT is the best available. It's a shame though, because it could be so much more of a Diamond instead of a dull gem....

• Robert1893
    7,677 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2015 8:19 PM

BarelyHuman:

Nothing is obvious on WGT...

The score posted by WGT as actually played on 12-25, a couple of hours before my rant. I can't explain the date difference,

I believe the time stamps are based on WGT's system date/time, not the local time of the user. For me, any score I post after 7:00 PM (EST) posts as the next day. As for the rest, I'll let others respond, if they want. I'm actually happy with the game! :-) 

• PhiEaglesFan
    617 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2015 11:33 PM

PaulTon:

Nobody ever follows through on anything any more.

---

For what it's worth, I'm usually one to not experience these disconnection/unexpected error issues, but today was a special day for some reason.

Two friends and I tee off on Pebble, 2 drives done and unexpected error.  Ok restart.  2 drives off again, disconnected.  This went on for 4 or 5 restarts as you might expect and we were about to give up.

Then I said to my guys, ok let's just go through the cache routine. All of us.

So we all cleared our browser caches, we all cleared our flash caches and all restarted our browsers.

The next game was flawless, as one would expect when everyone has the most up to date and same files on their systems.

So, next time you're playing with friends and can't seem to get a round going due to disconnections/errors, have everyone clear *BOTH* caches, restart their browsers and try again.

This will not fix any random match-ups as you cannot assume your random opponent has just cleared both his/her caches.

Try this yourselves.  You should see an improvement.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 1:37 AM

nanstar:

Welcome to the Hotel California.

I really hate that song    lol

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 3:16 AM

mantis0014:

nanstar:

Welcome to the Hotel California.

I really hate that song    lol

Me too, cannot stand it!

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 3:55 AM

You can stick it with your steely knives.. but you just can't kill the beast.

Enjoy!

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 4:05 AM

Yup Nan..

turns out if ya know how it was constructed....~( always defend the bass )

it's a $$ earner !!!

LOVE it or LOATH it......

Y'all know EVERY word ,.... ??

DISSCUs

kisses n such xxx

Andy

• BarelyHuman
    22 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 7:48 AM

PhiEaglesFan:
    So we all cleared our browser caches, we all cleared our flash caches and all restarted our browsers.

Thanks, PEF...that's the standard for us before playing, and I has helped, but not 100%.

It is a game of flying 1's and 0's over distance networks of dubious construct, however... I suppose perfect performance is an unrealistic expectation.....

I can't listen to that song either...gives me awesome flashbacks.

Cheers all, Happy New Year

RSS