Forums

Help › Forums

Big Bertha 3WD L89 vs L97

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 22 2015 3:43 PM (34 replies)
  • razza31
    703 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 5:45 AM

Would like some input from people who have played with both of them.

How much the extra 5 yds really extend to? I found the difference from L81 ping to L89 BB to be about 15yds.

Also does the L97 BB have considerably less stopping power due to its lower trajectory?

Thanks in advance.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 6:26 AM

Both have the same poor circle of deviation;

Off the tee they both pull up fine;

From fway the L97 has less stopping power, and that of course shows at some holes more than others.  Play a par BoP5 and the L97 will help on some, but take at others (could carry both of course);

You get the full extra 5 yards FBS off the tee (ish as guess varies per ball), and off the fway it's useful to creep over to a few places the L89 can't reach.

Far from any magic wand to any score and an addition to your arsenal rather than a do all, but a nice new toy if feeling the need to spend.

JMO

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 6:44 AM

I used to own the level 89 BB 3 wood and found it to be very unforgiving...miss the ding by a hair and ball would go way off line. I use the Max 3 wood now...only rated 240 yds but the forgiveness is far superior...no point in hitting it further if the ball is off line...lol

ct

• Baldace
    3,254 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 6:58 AM

I have found that the L97 is a tad more forgiving if you miss the ding. The L89 was a total nightmare if missed. The L97  missed usually means i'm still on the course :)..

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 8:12 AM

I have found the Level 97 BB 3 wood to be much more forgiving than the Level 89 and easier to hit. I have also found out that I can hit it off the tee w full top spin and get 265-280 yds.  That is really handy when I don't want to back off my driver but still get my tee shot in the fairway. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 8:31 AM

razza31:

Would like some input from people who have played with both of them.

How much the extra 5 yds really extend to? I found the difference from L81 ping to L89 BB to be about 15yds.

Also does the L97 BB have considerably less stopping power due to its lower trajectory?

Thanks in advance.

I have both. I love both. I have no favorite. As for stopping with the BB97, I have a saved replay that shows it off quite well. It is a hole in one at Merion #10 that lands about 3ft long and receives back-spin to go in.  ~SP~

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 9:10 AM

As the others have already said. They are both good and unforgiving, so I would get  the one that goes further.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 11:28 AM

SweetiePie:

It is a hole in one at Merion #10 that lands about 3ft long and receives back-spin to go in.

Great shot there SP, an absolute peach.

lonnieskinner:

They are both good and unforgiving

Oh hell yeah, miss the ding with the wind and you better get your hiking boots on and take lunch with you.

I agree about the higher level one being more forgiving though, in the same way that a 4lb hammer in the face is less painful than a 6lb one.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 11:51 AM

lonnieskinner:

As the others have already said. They are both good and unforgiving, so I would get  the one that goes further.

Gotta agree there...'cause if you are going in the rough, you might as well go in the manly stuff....and the farther it goes off line, the manlier the rough gets...lol

• DynastyGolf0
    44 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2015 12:33 PM

What about comparing it to the top TaylorMade, the 242y one? I'm thinking about upgrading to Big Bertha, but I'm worried about sacrificing so much forgiveness for a few yards.

RSS