Help › Forums

Big Bertha 3WD L89 vs L97

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 22 2015 3:43 PM (34 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2015 8:41 AM

ct690911:

, I have noticed in a few of my matches that some legends are still using hybrids ...this strikes me a bit odd as their 3 iron goes the same distance. It seems to me they could replace the hybrid with a club they would get more use out of...perhaps another wedge?...I think most higher level players already subscribe to this (once they qualify for the 225 yd 3 iron). 

Is there any advantage to a hybrid over a 3 iron of equal range?

ct

..and is there a difference on how the 2 perform out of the rough?

• DynastyGolf0
    44 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2015 11:14 AM

JFidanza:

Yes, you can punch out of the deep rough with a 3-iron, and you can get a lot more backspin for quicker stoppage on the green.

But alternatively, you can get a lot more roll with a hybrid if you want distance.

I just use a 3-iron, though.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2015 12:39 PM

JFidanza:

ct690911:

, I have noticed in a few of my matches that some legends are still using hybrids ...this strikes me a bit odd as their 3 iron goes the same distance. It seems to me they could replace the hybrid with a club they would get more use out of...perhaps another wedge?...I think most higher level players already subscribe to this (once they qualify for the 225 yd 3 iron). 

Is there any advantage to a hybrid over a 3 iron of equal range?

ct

Option exists to punch out with a 3 wood (experiment with full top spin and other spins).  Good enough.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2015 1:04 PM

ct690911:
    I have noticed in a few of my matches that some legends are still using hybrids

Maybe some of them are just trying to keep the same clubs they use in real life.

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 3:43 PM

I believe BB 97 could be handy to reach long greens in certain situations. Other than that, 89 has more control, spin and precision due to its high trajectory. As for forgivness, 89 still better for me, not by far though.

RSS