Help › Forums

Simply Putting

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 27 2015 3:29 AM (46 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 1:45 AM

StrayedFairway:

OT "Watermelons in the..."  always gives me goosebumps, top choice.

PaulTon:

With that live version and a couple of glasses of red wine my goosebumps turn to tears!

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 2:13 AM

Solarflares:
    The most important thing I think , is to be able to visualise the path the ball will take , and make a rough approximation of aim before doing anything - and you should already know how hard you will hit it generally before you explore - then  fine-tune for the ideal power later.

Throw in a bit of off dinging for severely breaking putts and that describes exactly how I putt.

Solarflares:
    A 73 at Kiawah perhaps wasn't - but I know exactly where I need to do work - and this is what brought me in search of ways of improving my putting.  I'm really learning all-over again and , for me , that is just great.

From hack to TM, Kiawah is an easy course to score on, when you tier up to legend that all changes.

Trying to improve your putting as a legend at Kiawah will drive you mad. It was the 1st full course in the game and the photography on greens hadn't been perfected. The views are awful and the dots aren't true either. This doesn't explain why it seems fine up until becoming legend but it's all I've got...

Tekoma would tell you, at Kiawah you're putting from your own experience and memory as the information given in game is wrong.

Solarflares:

Paulton - thanks for helping me feel better and trying to help me take the blinkers-off.   Job-done , so thankyou too.

Do that thing.

You're welcome, sorry I was a bit nasty.

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 11:23 AM

Title of thread: Simply Putting

Let's change to: Putting Simply 

PaulTon:

Solarflares:
    The most important thing I think , is to be able to visualise the path the ball will take , and make a rough approximation of aim before doing anything - and you should already know how hard you will hit it generally before you explore - then  fine-tune for the ideal power later.

This would have made that first post a bit easier on the eyes. :-)

SF, don't forget to enjoy what you are doing here.

Paul and Andyson are (can be ?) two very good sources of info on how to play this (silly) game,  and SweetiePie has a great attitude about the game.

Sometimes people misread intent or demeanor in the forums, and sometimes the OP really is a ****.  It is nice to see someone who can understand that perhaps, through no fault but over exuberance, they have gone about something in a way they did not intend.

A word of advice:  You are one verbose individual. Please try to keep it short and simple. (For those of us who can relate to that phrase. :-))

Good luck reaching your WGT goals.

Dave

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 1:05 PM

I know you can't compare a virtual game to the real thing but I think it is possible to fill your head with too many thoughts before you actually take a shot here, just like on a real course.

I used to play using wind calculations, for side, head and tail wind, then use the pitch grid and zoom view to aim my approach shots.

Then one day I just packed it in and started playing purely by feel.  I have absolutely no idea what % I hit my 4 iron if I have a 199 yard shot with a 4mph head wind, I just move the slider to what looks right and go for it.  Same with side wind, I just move the aimer to where I think it should be.  Then usually move it a bit more into the wind.  And I'm playing better than I did with all that faffing around with calculations.

Each to their own of course but the thought of having a spreadsheet that you enter shot distance, wind strength and direction, elevation and the current cost of a bucket of camel shite in (insert country name here, no way I'm going down that road) before trusting yourself to take a shot is just ludicrous to me.  I see no fun in that at all.  As I say though, different strokes for different folks.

I never had any system for putting though.  Unless hit it bloody hard if it's under about 8 feet counts.  If I have a 4 foot slightly breaking putt on champ greens I never play it 4 feet or less, give it 7 to take out some break and smack it home is my philosophy.   I've seen some methods posted here that make landing the Mars Rover look like kids homework.

Gives me a damn headache just thinking about them.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 5:36 PM

Lol, thanks fer the abbreviated version, short , sweet, an' to the point. Now that the forum banter has been Zappa'd, all is well in WGT land, once again. Does an ol' soul's good t' see ya all gettin' along.

Doc :)

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 8:24 PM

Solarflares:
    The small-minority that play the game like it's "Call of Duty -Black Ops" perhaps also  served to help distance me from myself and the good wealth of kind-spirit I was keen to be a part-of.

I'll chime in and say that while BO is a great games its one of the slower ones when compared to MW2m MW3, BO2, and AW (ghost sucked).  Although...............

Light Weight Pro (or FJ Pro), SoH Pro, Marathon Pro with Famas extended/mags or G11 (all gold of course).  Always a sweet sight to call in your 2nd SR71, Chopper, and Dogs on every other map.

And back to the putting!! ;D.  Obviously give Tekoma a good read/watch several times over (amazing content!) but also give the Putting by the Numbers update by JC snead a look over.  If you can get past his initial presentation pertaining to witch craft, pitch view, off ding putting (all of which are great!) his actual method is quite brilliant.

Like 50-70% of my putts are nothing more than look at the flow of dots and based on the % of flow adjust my aim point.   No need to visualize the ball to hole break or anything even close to that.  Length of putt * flow % = aim point and hit the ball.

Anyways, good luck man!

Cheers.  Sean

• steinyboys
    741 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2015 1:30 AM

FFS guys that stuff brings me back long time a go when smoking dope and looking at the night sky and the stars and no cares at all  DOH   I loved those times

RSS