Forums

Help › Forums

Weekly UEL tournament

Wed, Jan 31 2018 8:45 AM (105 replies)
  • JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 10:47 AM

MartyFlanagan:

i dont care about winning credits, im happy with no prize fund,  i just want to play against other uneven players and try and win or get a top 3 or top 5 place in the leader-board, they created uneven lies and dont want to use it properly with variety of tournaments and plenty to choice from, its a shame

If you want to play an UEL round, don't hesit to ask me ;)

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:45 PM

JoeMaverick:

If you want to play an UEL round, don't hesit to ask me ;)

thanks, i will add you to my friends list and hopefully we can get a game soon

• thegoosebag
    2,264 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:30 PM

typical wgt again no thought gone into it and there response as usual not worth a blow on the rag mans trumpet

marty i will try to hit you up at the weekend if green and try and bring the win/loss a bit closer lol

cheers    mark.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 6:17 PM

hi guys

the problem is, there is not much as interest is UEL. i personally love it but it's been hard getting more audience to it:(

ill check about that tourney tomorrow as well

-wgticon

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 7:40 PM

if theres declining interest id say fridge hit the nail on the head.

why not  make it interesting and actually support the format?

I for one look forward to any uneven lie tourneys , be it wgt or cc ill play them all.

I cannot speak for anyone else as I don't know the numbers but I feel if the company wont support it, then why bring it out in the first place.

that kinda goes for a lot of things that have been brought out but never followed through.

removing events and tournaments jut goes against the grain of being supportive wouldn't u say?

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 8:23 PM

If WGT is claiming interest in UEL is declining, then removing UEL tournaments is definitely the way to prove themselves right.

I really like playing UEL and believe more tournaments would help promote UEL.

Please bring back the Weekly (and Monthly) UEL tournaments.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 8:34 PM

WGTicon:
    the problem is, there is not much as interest is UEL.

Of course there is not as much interest in UEL. It's harder, it represents a greater challenge, and should rightly be considered as an advanced stage for experienced players, who have mastered the easier flat-lie form of the game. It's the next step in the evolution of the better player: and as we've seen by the comments here, those that reach this point tend to get bored of the flat-lie game, and have a high level of commitment to UEL.

If WGT is expecting the participation level to match the Even lie version, which is obviously easier to learn, and represents the bottom of the pyramid, then that expectation is a false premise to begin with.

For me, one of the great things about WGT has always been variety. There are now enough courses, and enough variations of competition, that there should be something for everyone. And if more is better, what's to lose by having the extra variety. The amount of effort involved to set-up one 18-hole UEL weekly event must be so negligible that I'm astonished that it's been dropped.

Mags' numbers on the prior page about the participation level required to make even a single event profitable makes it clear that can't be the issue (or that WGT can't do its sums). So, I'm baffled as to why WGT is taking this step.

My take on all this is that WGT developed a great, advanced level facet of the game, but then ran scared of doing the next logical thing, which would have been to support UEL by making it the true test for the top events... or at least, enough of them to get all the top players to commit to learning the format. Instead, they listened to the naysayers (who have shouted loudest about UEL's supposed flaws in order to protect their own standing).

There has never been an equivalent level of prizes offered for UEL tourneys, so it shouldn't be a surprise that participation levels don't match flat-lie levels. Where are the 400,000cr majors or the monthly 200,000cr ones, where is the official WGT year-round Tour, where are the monthly big-prize Opens in each Tier, or the monthly (or weekly) Multi-Round Opens, and where are the big one-off sponsor events involving UEL?

IIRC, the sum total of big-scale UEL events is a couple of unlimited-play midsummer 200k events after the launch of Merion and Pinehurst, plus perhaps one other significant event in UEL's first few months, in a period that has seen at least 50 flat-lie events of comparable or higher prize-money.

When we've organized our own Community-Run UEL Tour (using the single-play weekly 18-holers) the participation level has increased by at least 1/3 (based on TL numbers comparing weeks in the Spring and Fall UEL Tours compared with weeks alongside). This suggests that a bit of incentive, with prizes generously offered by individuals even just the concept of a Tour, brings out more players.

WGTdbloshoe:
    Participation for the UEL monthly tournament has been trending down.  We have lost 1/3 of the players who participated since March.

To drop a particular regular tourney on evidence that's apparently based on playing levels since the Spring (per Shoe's post in the other thread), i.e. comparing pre-Spring months to the summer doldrums, when the Northern Hemisphere plays less anyway, seems particularly foolish.

And, as others have said, if you're going to quote numbers, let's see the comparable stats on normal tournaments. How are they trending? I suspect that the incessant introduction of unnecessary flourishes to the game, along with the introduction of a plethora of bugs, are the main causes of any drop in participation levels, and it's likely that it's across the board.

I sincerely hope WGT reverses this decision and reinstates the weekly 18 holer... and then starts marketing UEL properly, as a challenge for those that want to take the next step with events and prizes that provide a proper incentive.

• aichapman
    1,342 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2015 9:02 PM

Excellent post Corwyn and others for their positive input.

UEL for me personally is great fun and a huge challenge at times due to Wind and Horrible little Red Boxes.

Sadly as the exchange rate has gone downhill and I'm now paying $9.00 for a set of $6.00 balls I have to be more selective as where I use them, so 18 hole Heavy/Moderate wind UEL's where I have no chance at all of finishing in the money are a luxury I cannot afford on my pension. I used to play all of them previously but now I stick to 50c UEL RG's and cheaper RG's and hope to get a small return to help replace balls.

Having spent around $3.000.00 since joining WGT I think I've paid my dues and sadly have to back off the Free Tournies especially the 18 holers as times are tough and I have to be realistic in my situation.

Regards to all and keep having Fun. 

Cheers from Alan

PS I'm not crying Poor and am still playing plenty of games and having fun. Please don't suggest I use cheaper balls as these are my favorites. LOL

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2015 12:36 AM

Sorry could not get to work so reposted for safety of intent below.

• Lypra
    459 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2015 1:14 AM

I have never complained about the game. But now, I am very disappointed with what is happening with UE tournaments.
    Yes, it seems that WGT want all of us to play the same tournaments: unlimited and even lies.  I play every day, the difference is that before I played several rounds each day, and now ,only one round.
    Monthly tournaments are boring. All... unlimited (except one). No UE tournament.
    I hate unlimited events, as they are unreal... play again and again the same event with similar conditions... and then to see everybody have achieved unrealistic scores. More and more unlimited events.

I like multirounds tournaments, I like the Tough-It-Out event, I like single events... in short... I like diversity.  
RSS