Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping close to the green

Mon, Jan 3 2011 11:54 PM (21 replies)
  • cinimode
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 6:12 AM

I am having trouble with my 60 yard wedge. When I am in say light rough 15yds from the green and chip it to the correct meterage the ball quite often only travels say 5 yards. Any tips or advice would be grateful.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:28 AM

chip and pitch tips ------------------------------>>>

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:46 AM

I have never used that wedge you are talking about. Best 3 wedges are the Zsatin 50, 77, and 90. the 90 yd wedge takes some time to get to the tier you need but the 98 yd is also good. Bollox is right there is a great article on chipping and pitching but the quick rules I follow are.

1. If more than 2 feet from green pitch do not chip.

2. Always, always put backspin on the ball

3. Pay attention to the lie on the rough

4. Pitch will roll 4-5 feet further than your footage you hit, chip is about 2-3.

5. Learn to use the flop shot. Do not stop on the ding line on the down mark but click early on the first line where the blue starts (line left of the ding line). This will keep the ball straight. Flop ball will roll about 4-6 feet depending on the lie

6. Always, always use backspin on the ball. (thought I would re-emphasize this)

7. Learn to chip out of the fringe. This is one of bollox and a few others pet peeves since they made the changes, 96% of time I will chip.

• bimbski
    15 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:47 AM

the best tips ever right here......DONT EVER  CHIP.  pitch or flop,chippin is way to unrealible

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 9:48 AM

the caddy always puts me in "chip" with a 105 wedge for similar shots.  Unless i need to flop for some reason, I always switch to "pitch" and go with my shortest wedge (a 60 yarder).  I use a small amount of backspin if flat or uphill, I only use full backspin if way down slope to pin.  About 2/3 of the meter usually gets about 12 yards so i adjust from there.  If in 2nd cut and more like 40% lie i need to go closer to 4/5 meter to get around 12 yards.

good luck

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 10:54 AM

bimbski:
    the best tips ever right here......DONT EVER  CHIP.  pitch or flop,chippin is way to unrealible

I disagree. Nothing unreliable about chipping at all. Sarge's advice is very good... all I can add is don't choke down too much on the power...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 12:04 PM

mohuyu:
    don't choke down too much on the power...

Exactly. Less than 50% and you're asking for trouble. Also, remember that the first bounce has to be on the green. Fringe and rough will stop it dead. (This is what probably happened to the OP.)

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 12:15 PM

bimbski:

30+ chip in's to date says otherwise!

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 1:52 PM

Pitch, never chip.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2011 2:07 PM

CharlemagneRH:

Pitch, never chip.

To each his own. Bad advice.

RSS