Forums

Help › Forums

Unusual meter problem

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:07 PM (22 replies)
  • puttersman
    240 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 12:06 PM

My sister known as " Mommamarg" has an unusual problem with her meter that I can't find a solution to and hope that someone here can help with, I have tried everything I can thing off. She does not have a lot of Ram and I know this can have some effect, but I think it goes beyond this. When she hits, and clicks the meter tends to run beyond the slash no matter where she stops, very often runs right out to the end. She is not that bad a player and is more than capable of stopping on or near the line, but it doesn't matter, it has a mind of it's own. Also when it becomes her turn to play and the meter bar show up , the striker with the word "swing" on it does not arrive with it until several seconds later. She is very frustrated by all this and it is costing her many strokes playing the game. Can anyone explain why this is happening or help solve this problem. Marg loves to play this game and it is a way that we stay connected. We are brother and sister and live 2000 miles apart. 

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 1:19 PM

Is she updated with the latest flash?

Peyton

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 1:20 PM

has she checked which version of Flash Player she is using.

• puttersman
    240 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 1:22 PM

I am not sure I checked her flash setting and it was set at 100 that is all I know. but did not see what version it was.  It should be Flash version 10 correct. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 1:56 PM

Does she use a wireless mouse? Have her right click in the Play Now box and select About Adobe to see the version.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 2:31 PM

puttersman, it sounds like a "simple" case of over-worked CPU. You mention low RAM and that does not help the processing either. I notice that if I play 3-4 games in a row without restarting the browser, it starts to slow down. Everything goes in slow motion (ball moves as a slideshow on the green), the meter seems to hesitate (but not really jumping, just small disturbances) and it happens that I click and I see the meter continue for some milliseconds before it stops. 

To minimize the effect:

1. Close all browser windows except the client itself (Important to also the WGT homepage since it also runs Flash stuff that competes about the CPU and the memory)

2. Close all other programs that is not necessary (Word can consume a lot of RAM)

3. Restart the browser in between each round

If she is familiar with the system monitor she can look at that one and sort by memory to see what programs to close. There she also can see what stuff if using the CPU most.

Fine tuning Flash itself will probably not do much and I think the best options might actually be to leave it to it's default values. It can not get the attention it needs anyway, so no use asking for more.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 2:44 PM

She's been playing for a while, TR, so it sounds like something just started happening. (Good looking "grammar" too.)  :-)

Your suggestions are good ones if you're stressed on the RAM. I found, without the RAM problem, a lot of games in succession does cause a bit of a slowdown sometimes. Clearing the browser cache alone usually solves it but beware, slow load times for a few rounds will show up afterwards.

I was thinking maybe the battery was getting low in the mouse.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 2:56 PM

Hi Jim, IMO clearing the cache should not have much effect in a modern browser and the problem is more the fact that Flash (and browser technology in general) is "leaking" memory. They create objects (in memory) that they do not properly destroy and that garbage is accumulated over time in RAM. I am not saying clearing cache does not help, but personally I restart the browser instead because I want the RAM back, not the disc space. In fact, I have not cleared my cache in years and I develop *** like this... :)

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 3:11 PM

One solution might be to download leatix latency fix. It is a script file that helps make the communication between your pc and the server making the mouse clicks register a tad faster. 

• mommamarg
    52 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 3:45 PM

Hi all - thanks for all the advice. I do use a wireless mouse, but not when playing, then I use one that plugs into my computer. I have Flash version 10 - I wouldn't even attempt to monkey with the cache - Lord knows what I'd end up doing. I am c omputer literate - to a point:<)) Puttersman, thanks hon - we'll see what happens when I play tonight.

RSS