Forums

Help › Forums

Putter suggestion anyone?

Tue, Jun 30 2015 2:57 PM (26 replies)
  • TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 1:46 PM

I have the L86 Odyssey now, but it is not doing me any good. Keeps going off the rim and for miss-ding-putting, it wont allow me to go wide enough for hard putts. I have also tried the Max putter, Nike L77, Odyssey L70 and Anser L72. 

They all have those same problems. So i figured that to high precision causes it.

These putters did better for me than the ones i described above:

Ghost Spider L66

Daytona L55

Starter putter

The best ones of those 3 were Ghost 66 And starter putter for me.

I am thinking of these 3 and would love to hear from people who play Off-ding and have tried some of those:

And please dont tell me to search the forums, i have done that for 2 hours :D

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 2:25 PM

I both ding and off ding...my personal opinion is if you can't putt with the lvl 70 Odyssey  it's not the putter, your doing something wrong...JMO

I just rented the lvl 101 nike super putter and it might a hair better than the lvl 96 versa, but not $45 better.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 2:35 PM

Theres good news and bad news . The good news is that all of the previous putters you tried were excellent putters . Especially the 55 Daytona Rossa and the 70+ Versa as well , both are great miss the ding putters .

Now for the bad news which is you cant putt . There is no such thing as a magic putter . You have to put your time in and learn how to read the greens .This seems to be your problem not the putter but how to also know how to use it .

When putting with severe breaks you have to either power up more or use a higher increment . Also you have to play off of the ding earlier as well . Left to right you click early and right to left late . Use the putting challenge to work on your putting . Also use stroke play practice rounds and use the starter ball with the mulligan .

So you have 2 options , you can go back and get the versa 70+ putter and practice and learn how to use it . Or you can keep wasting credits and chasing your tail looking for a magic putter which doesnt exist . So go get a putter and commit to it and you will get better . Practice , practice , and more practice . Putting is the most important part of your game . Its also something you will always have to work on .

So there you go good news and bad news . Sorry if the bad news to be more than the good news . Hope this helps and good luck with your game .

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 2:35 PM

fatdan:

I both ding and off ding...my personal opinion is if you can't putt with the lvl 70 Odyssey  it's not the putter, your doing something wrong...JMO

I just rented the lvl 101 nike super putter and it might a hair better than the lvl 96 versa, but not $45 better.

Then how come i can putt with Ghost L66, starter and Rossa? Anyway, i only miss-ding putt, and you are not giving me much of an answer. You most likely did not read my post carefully, its not level 101 Nike i ask about, i do not have anywhere near the level the unlock that.

Thanks anyway.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 2:37 PM

fatdan:

+1

fatdan:

I just rented the L70 Versa having recently swapped the L96 Versa for the M1, and just thought why did I ever look past that slow meter little gem at L70.

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 2:41 PM

lonniescott711:

Theres good news and bad news . The good news is that all of the previous putters you tried were excellent putters . Especially the 55 Daytona Rossa and the 70+ Versa as well , both are great miss the ding putters .

Now for the bad news which is you cant putt . There is no such thing as a magic putter . You have to put your time in and learn how to read the greens .This seems to be your problem not the putter but how to also know how to use it .

When putting with severe breaks you have to either power up more or use a higher increment . Also you have to play off of the ding earlier as well . Left to right you click early and right to left late . Use the putting challenge to work on your putting . Also use stroke play practice rounds and use the starter ball with the mulligan .

So you have 2 options , you can go back and get the versa 70+ putter and practice and learn how to use it . Or you can keep wasting credits and chasing your tail looking for a magic putter which doesnt exist . So go get a putter and commit to it and you will get better . Practice , practice , and more practice . Putting is the most important part of your game . Its also something you will always have to work on .

So there you go good news and bad news . Sorry if the bad news to be more than the good news . Hope this helps and good luck with your game .

You never played with me and then state that i cant putt. Nice start.. 

I for some reason got to legend within 2 months of playing the game, so i am not sure that i cant putt... I might not have the best putting stats, but that is more likely because i switch putter everytime a new one is available. There wont be a new putter available for quite some time now, and the the 86 putter which i have is terrible for me. Most of my putts are from 6-18 feet and the Versa putters do not allow me enough room on the meter to compensate on tourney greens to hit  wide enough. Try read my post again, if you dont have any advice to my qustion, but just wanna insult me, then maybe it would be a better idea to stay away.

No wonder the forums are so dead if no one is on topic and everything is about personal attacks..

What i am looking for is a putter that will go wider on missed dings (meaning miss by more). 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 2:55 PM

Mate you have to take a step back here.  People in this thread can putt a bit.

The Versa putters can misding very well.............What is your style exactly ? take say stimp 12 from 10 feet, and 2 up breaking say just a bit.  What do you do exactly.  Accept that some of this is you, and it can be actioned.  The hardware is not causing the problem at all, IMO with what I have to go on.

IF YOU ONLY MIS - DING does that mean not moving the aim marker?  You will be on a hiding to nothing with most putters that way, and forgiveness / balance will play a part but no putter is going to perform that well with that flawed style (IF you do that).

TheTigerEye:

Then how come i can putt with Ghost L66, starter and Rossa? Anyway, i only miss-ding putt, and you are not giving me much of an answer. You most likely did not read my post carefully, its not level 101 Nike i ask about, i do not have anywhere near the level the unlock that.

Thanks anyway.

Dan can answer more if wants but all I took that as was demonstrating just how good they all are, and that was therefore a positive post after looking to have obviously read what you wrote exactly.
    Your 1 putting is not crash hot, and this is not the fault of the putters.  You need to chime in with exactly what you do by clarifying what you mean exactly by only mis-dinging (an area that has caused confusion with different interpretations before).
  • TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:07 PM

Jimbog1964:

Mate you have to take a step back here.  People in this thread can putt a bit.

The Versa putters can misding very well.............What is your style exactly ? take say stimp 12 from 10 feet, and 2 up breaking say just a bit.  What do you do exactly.  Accept that some of this is you, and it can be actioned.  The hardware is not causing the problem at all, IMO with what I have to go on.

IF YOU ONLY MIS - DING does that mean not moving the aim marker?  You will be on a hiding to nothing with most putters that way, and forgiveness / balance will play a part but no putter is going to perform that well with that flawed style (IF you do that).

I always get the distance right or maybe 1-2ft to long to be sure that i dont end up short.

I have stated the problem more than once now.. On many of the harder greens i find that when i hit the widest point possible on the meter, it still does not curve enough (even from below 8ft sometimes). This does not happen for me with lower level putters. Therefor i think the precision is the stat that determinates how wide the ball goes, depending on how you hit it.

For that reason i want suggestions about these putters that i listed in the first post.

The 3 putters i listed are also used by some tour legends, so clearly i am not the only one who dont love the L70 Versa.

Can we go back to topic now?

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:12 PM

You guys are surely better putters than me, i never stated to be more than average at it. However that is offtopic.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:27 PM

Feller you still need to take that chill pill.  We are very much on topic it' just that you do not yet know enough to see that..

Do you putt by not moving the aim marker I asked?  By the sounds of it you at least rely very heavily on the missing part.  I was just trying to be ultra clear on that as it's so important.  

Assuming I have it right (I was trying to be ultra clear for a good reason) you must change to ding style, and from that you can work in a little mis-ding to hold a line.  NO putter will work well with throwing huge misses at it as demonstrated by your stats / score history.  That's not being harsh just stating a fact as to why NO putter has performed all that well for you.  You may think one did but I doubt it did much better even if miraculously one may take that abuse a bit better - no where fast with any though.  Have a look at some FAQs on balance / precision / forgiveness centralised here, and then reconsider.

RSS