Forums

Help › Forums

Putter suggestion anyone?

Tue, Jun 30 2015 2:57 PM (26 replies)
  • TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:33 PM

Jimbog1964:

Feller you still need to take that chill pill.  We are very much on topic it' just that you do not yet know enough to see that..

Do you putt by not moving the aim marker I asked?  By the sounds of it you at least rely very heavily on the missing part.  I was just trying to be ultra clear on that as it's so important.  

Assuming I have it right (I was trying to be ultra clear for a good reason) you must change to ding style, and from that you can work in a little mis-ding to hold a line.  NO putter will work well with throwing huge misses at it as demonstrated by your stats / score history.  That's not being harsh just stating a fact as to why NO putter has performed all that well for you.  You may think one did but I doubt it did much better even if miraculously one may take that abuse a bit better - no where fast with any though.  Have a look at some FAQs on balance / precision / forgiveness centralised here, and then reconsider.

I dont aim for the ding unless the green is flat with no moving dots.

Here is how i look at it: 

If you move move the flag and then have to hit the ding, then you have 2 variables that you need to have correct. Having the aim arc at a wrong place or not hitting the ding will punish you.

By leaving the flag on the hole and aiming purely with the offding, you only have 1 variable to get right (assuming the putter can go wide enough on a missding)

And this is all within 20ft and mostly below 10ft i am reffering to. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:37 PM

TheTigerEye:
    By leaving the flag on the hole and aiming purely with the offding, you only have 1 variable to get right (assuming the putter can go wide enough on a missding)

There we have the problem.

You need to read about balance and forgiveness, and how that works with scales as well.  This is a fundamentally flawed method that will hold you back with any putter as it disallows  distance control.  Yep get close but close more than dropping = route one to poor 1 putt stats.  Read those FAQs I gave you, and you will see why you must change that thinking :)...............See people were trying to help, not get at you.

Aim with the aim marker, and after time yes massage in a tiny bit of mis-ding to aid holding a line, but overridingly AIM WITH ONLY THE AIM MARKER, NOT THE PUTTER MISSING ONLY.

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 3:54 PM

Even if you totally miss ding putt, when you get a very severe breaking putt you will have to move the marker some and still miss ding.  Missing by itself will not go wide enough as you have already experienced.

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 5:00 PM

Bought the Nike L55 and made 27 in the first game.

Score history (only last one is with the L55 Nike, used L86 Versa in the other ones):

06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players    27
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players  32
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players  30
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players  29
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players  31
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players   31
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players  28
    06.29.15 Easy Kiawah B 9  Back 9 All Players  32

Will see if it stays taht good, but really felt nice in the first game...

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 5:20 PM

If i'm not mistaken you like low forgiveness so the Anser 72 (for. = 2)  and Rossa 55 (for. = 2) but I think the Anser has .5 more precision. (4.5)

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 6:04 PM

TheTigerEye:

lonniescott711:

Theres good news and bad news . The good news is that all of the previous putters you tried were excellent putters . Especially the 55 Daytona Rossa and the 70+ Versa as well , both are great miss the ding putters .

Now for the bad news which is you cant putt . There is no such thing as a magic putter . You have to put your time in and learn how to read the greens .This seems to be your problem not the putter but how to also know how to use it .

When putting with severe breaks you have to either power up more or use a higher increment . Also you have to play off of the ding earlier as well . Left to right you click early and right to left late . Use the putting challenge to work on your putting . Also use stroke play practice rounds and use the starter ball with the mulligan .

So you have 2 options , you can go back and get the versa 70+ putter and practice and learn how to use it . Or you can keep wasting credits and chasing your tail looking for a magic putter which doesnt exist . So go get a putter and commit to it and you will get better . Practice , practice , and more practice . Putting is the most important part of your game . Its also something you will always have to work on .

So there you go good news and bad news . Sorry if the bad news to be more than the good news . Hope this helps and good luck with your game .

You never played with me and then state that i cant putt. Nice start.. 

I for some reason got to legend within 2 months of playing the game, so i am not sure that i cant putt... I might not have the best putting stats, but that is more likely because i switch putter everytime a new one is available. There wont be a new putter available for quite some time now, and the the 86 putter which i have is terrible for me. Most of my putts are from 6-18 feet and the Versa putters do not allow me enough room on the meter to compensate on tourney greens to hit  wide enough. Try read my post again, if you dont have any advice to my qustion, but just wanna insult me, then maybe it would be a better idea to stay away.

No wonder the forums are so dead if no one is on topic and everything is about personal attacks..

What i am looking for is a putter that will go wider on missed dings (meaning miss by more). 

Its not my intention to insult you , you wanted advice  , you got it . Just because you dont like it , doesnt mean it was to insult you .

You wont practice .

You wont commit to a putter and learn how to use it .

One Putt % 36.09% Avg. distance to pin 15 ft.

When missing the ding putting , to adjust for more break , move the marker which raises the line of the putt . Move the marker according to the break and putt as usual . You can do this with the versa 70+ putter . If you had taken the time to learn this then you wouldnt be here in the forums looking for help .

You may have gotten to Legend in 2 months but you missed a great deal along the way . You missed out on ;

Course management 

Ball placement 

Adjusting for elevation ,distance , and wind .

Reading greens and playing breaks

Shot selection

Its not how fast you make Legend but what you learn on the journey .

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 6:36 PM

TheTigerEye:

Then how come i can putt with Ghost L66, starter and Rossa? Anyway, i only miss-ding putt, and you are not giving me much of an answer. You most likely did not read my post carefully, its not level 101 Nike i ask about, i do not have anywhere near the level the unlock that.

I answered your question, if you can putt with lower level crappy putters but not more accurate ones your doing something wrong...then you confirmed it when you got p!ssed off because we didn't say what you wanted to hear, therefore your willing to ask for help, but not willing to listen so good luck wasting credits looking for the magic stick!

The point of mentioning the lvl 101 nike was that even though it is better than mine, I don't need it to play well, in other words you can't buy better putting after a certain point!

I was just dinging putts, then something changed and I had to aim and miss into the break...after a month or 2 while watching a better players posted round it hit me, and I knew what I was doing wrong...so I added a little more power to straighten the putt out  and everything was back to normal, and more importantly, I didn't have to buy a different putter...

Heres another tidbit to b!tch about, if your lipping out and extra ordinary number of putts it is because your hitting them to hard, not because the putter is faulty...as inaccurate as your style is, the fact that you have a lot of lip outs is an indication the putter is working great......

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 8:58 PM

I have not been pissed off at any point. Just been saying that i search feedkback from people who have used the 3 putters in i described in the first post. Not advises from people who who look at my stats and goes "ohh this person does not have good stats - they must be bad".

Anyway, the problem was solved, i found a putter that i do not miss much with.

And if you are saying that i do something wrong, if i am better with lower level putters, then you are wrong. There is tour legends with better putting than any of us in this topic who who starter putters or ver low level putters .There is also is tour legends who always play miss-ding method like me. Some posts states that high level putters relys more on the ding-method. So i could and have improved with lower level putters.

Its fine that you do something your way and i am glad it works for you, but there is more than 1 way to do things. 

I just wanted reviews from people who had been using those putters at some point. 

My putting stats are not as good as yours no, but i also played a lot less hours and used every club in the game as i ranked up. 

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 9:02 PM

JFidanza:

If i'm not mistaken you like low forgiveness so the Anser 72 (for. = 2)  and Rossa 55 (for. = 2) but I think the Anser has .5 more precision. (4.5)

Thank you very much, i will remember that next time i feel like changing!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 9:05 PM

TheTigerEye:
    Some posts states that high level putters relys more on the ding-method.

They certainly do - as alluded to in the precision etc stuff discussed.

TheTigerEye:
    So i could and have improved with lower level putters.

Improve to a point with a hickory stick, but unusual not to use something half decent.

TheTigerEye:
    I just wanted reviews from people who had been using those putters at some point. 

Which is what you got.

TheTigerEye:
    My putting stats are not as good as yours no, but i also played a lot less hours and used every club in the game as i ranked up. 

It was about improving, not stating how poor they are as of now for the sake of it.

TheTigerEye:
    but there is more than 1 way to do things. 

Not necessarily good though.

TheTigerEye:
    There is also is tour legends who always play miss-ding method like me.

Who ? just  to see if they are any good or not please? I would be interested in that - just for my edification.  Thus far I have never come across any one with a decently consistently score record doing it all not moving the aim marker.  I really don't see how it can usually work reliably on all the courses, well, short of some close who cares tap in stuff (red tee comps would see a lot of that, and a lot of paper plane TLs especially with the red tee advent).  Happy to stand corrected if you show me a real good player on all the courses in real conditions doing it just your way.

RSS